I stick to the west wimba loop because it's pretty fast and has good flow through the woods. As mentioned, not overly technical, but there are plenty of whoops and jumps on the downhills to catch air. Picnic shelters are available for casual use on a first-come, first-served basis. 1615 Mail Service Center With the one way traffic, once you start the 2nd loop then you commit to riding the whole thing. I have a feeling that these 2 trails are the start of something good at Lake James. Traveling east on I-40: From I-40, take the Nebo/Lake James exit (exit 90) and head north. Try swimming and sunbathing or enjoy a picnic along the lakeshore. 408 reviews Directions Print/PDF Map; Share; VIEW FULL MAP. Visitors can hike along three miles of lake loop trails and relax in swings while watching for the many bluebirds that live in the park. https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/north-carolina/lake-james-state-park The mountain bike trails at Lake James State Park opened on National Trails Day, June 7, 2014.The trail system augments a swim beach, bathhouse, picnic areas, foot trails and a maintenance compound that have been opened at the parks Paddys Creek Area since 2010. 9:00am to 5:00pm Your cooperation ensures we can keep the trail system healthy and functioning for YOUR benefit and safety. The trails do close for bad weather. Smooth for the most part. The Lake James State Park TRACK Trail adventures (see kiosk at trailhead parking area) were designed for use on the Holly Discovery Trail, but they can be used anywhere within the park trail system. A walk in the spring when the air is scented with sweet wild azalea and rhododendron blossoms or a stroll in the fall when the leaves are ablaze in colors is tonic for the soul. The trail will traverse Lake James State Park, part of Pisgah National Forest and Fonta Flora County Park in Burke County. The intermediate Wimba loops provide more of a challenge with 10.4 miles of trail, plenty of rollers, and a bit more climbing. #5 - Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail to NC 126, #8 - Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail. All inland swim beaches and swim areas remain CLOSED. Cyclists are permitted on these trails specifically—not on hiking trails. Proceed straight across the intersection and past Nebo Elementary School to a stop sign. Looking for a great trail in Lake James State Park, North Carolina? Start checking them out and you'll be out on the trail in no time! Recently rode East Wimba. This is my new favorite place to ride! Lake James State Park offers a full menu of activities. Not a lot of roots or rocks to get in the way. Directions somewhat confusing ended up at the wrong Rock Hill St. Trailhead is located in the Paddy's Creek area of the park. IMBA Epics | It had been closed for awhile. This impressive waterway is the centerpiece of Lake James State Park. There are some good climbs but I can do all 15 miles without taking a break and my fitness is likely below average. Not a single log pyramid. Check'em out. There's not much in the way of technical riding here, but the trails are fast, flowy, and feature plenty of rollers. Best Lake Trails in Lake James State Park. Support Us | Camping reservations must be done online. You can check the trail status on the Lake James State Park Website: http://www.ncparks.gov/lake-james-state-park. Rollercoaster with some climbs nothing too challenging. The park is only about 10-15min from I-40, so certainly worth the stop if you're passing through - worth the drive for a daytrip ride...I combined a run to Kitsuma(30mi away) and Lake James and made for a great day of riding. I started my new favorite hobby here. Fun both ways love the directional change. I utterly shredded this trail. The first half of the west loop was epic tons of down hill including rollers for pump action and banked switchbacks too but the second half was all uphill with the uphills being quite steep. The beginner trail seems to always have me going around in circles but I guess I can't read signs. Kinda reminds me of certain sections of warrior creek, but with even less climbing. http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/laja/directions.php. I had a blast on these trails! Turn right onto NC 126, and follow the signs to the park entrance 4.8 miles on the right. As mentioned in previous reviews, the "Wimba" (Intermediate) loops are where it's at...great use of terrain to ride the contours so you're getting a pretty fast clip downhill without paying for it with brutal climbs later - also makes for very nice erosion control. The Lake James State Park trail network consists of roughly 15 miles of flowy beginner / intermediate singletrack trail. Hiking. If pressed for time, experienced riders should just focus on WIMBA side. Definitely some good intermediate fun to be had here. Singletracks Merch | There are literally hundreds of water bars and rollers. The trailhead parking area is well-planned and secure. The mountain bike trails and Fonta Flora State Trail are CLOSED today, November 11. The trail is appropriate for mountain bikers of intermediate or advanced skill levels. A footbridge is closed for repairs on the southern leg of the Overmountain Victory Trail. Taking a hike on the extensive trail system at Lake James State Park is a great way to enjoy the outdoors at your own pace. Very fortunate to have a great set of well maintained trails in my backyard. This place is a blast! Beginner trail not as much fun. A short walk to the Catawba River Area fishing pier. Playgrounds are open. Alot of elevation change but not too many brutal climbs. Theres more than enough elevation change on the intermediate Wimba Loops to get your heart pumping. Trails are expensive to construct, maintain and repair. Should be perfect for the final weekends of 2015 riding season. Most visitor centers and park offices are open, and masks or face coverings are required to enter. Still a little lumpy from the machine cut as of 9/2014. Great flow...really fun and fast descents...watch a few of the turns at speed, you can air off the trail and/or run out of room quick. › Lake James State Park › Lake. When park rangers feel that the park has reached a safe capacity, the entrance gates may be closed. About Us | Get with the program people. weekdays only, 121 W. Jones St. Along with boating, swimming and fishing in the beautiful, clear waters of the 6,812-acre lake, there are 25 miles of trails… This alert is updated only when the status changes.**. I rate them a triple F for Fast, Fun, and Flowy. The Paddy's Creek park office and gift shop is open Thursday to Monday, from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. A properly worn mask or face covering, covering both the nose and the mouth, is required to enter the park offices and other buildings. Fun trail but a little lacking in features. Great work by the trail builders. It is an undulating track with a steep staircase up the highest pitch. A: No, but you can rent from Overmountain Cycles in Morganton, less than 30 minutes away. Mountain Bike Deals, Copyright 2020 Blue Spruce Ventures LLC | Northwest North Carolina Mountain Bike Alliance. AllTrails has 9 great hiking trails, trail running trails, dogs leash trails and more, with hand-curated trail maps and driving directions as well as detailed reviews and photos from hikers, campers, and nature lovers like you. Indoor facilities are currently not available for reservation. I rode these trails yesterday and thought the builders did a great job on them. Included in the trail is a loop around Lake James. West Wimba trail is fast and flowy. The intermediate Wimba loops provide more of a challenge with 10.4 miles of trail, plenty of rollers, and a bit more climbing. Speed can get away from you at a few sections where you may hit some jumps or run out of room quick until you get familiar with the trails. Awesome fun. Swim beaches, boat rentals, and concession stand are closed until further notice. The Lake James State Park TRACK Trail adventures (see kiosk at trailhead parking area) were designed for use on the Holly Discovery Trail, but they can be used anywhere within the park trail system. The trail is a flat, easy trek through riparian forest adjacent to Paddy's Creek. Bring family and friends to Lake James State Park for a variety of activities. You can cruise right off the trail if you're not mindful. Best Bike Trails | Other than a few steep places really not a place than would challenge an intermediate rider. Not much in the way of crazy or technical, but they flowed well. Write: Pokagon State Park 450 Lane 100 Lake James Angola, IN 46703 Call: 260-833-2012 Online: on.IN.gov/pokagonsp SPECIAL NOTE Receipts from admission and service charges are used to help defray the operation and maintenance costs of the park. The Lake James State Park trail network consists of roughly 15 miles of flowy beginner / intermediate singletrack trail. When trails are closed for construction, poor trail conditions due to weather or any other reason, they are closed both for visitor safety AND for the protection of the trail and natural resources. Several boat ramps are open. The Wimba loops are super fast and flowy! Larger outdoor facilities with a maximum capacity of more than 50 people are also not available for reservation. Have done it about 6 times. James H. "Sloppy" Floyd State Park Surrounded by rural countryside and the Chattahoochee National Forest, this quiet park in northwest Georgia offers outstanding fishing on two stocked lakes. List of fees available in the main office. My only gripe is that it's almost too smooth and redundant. Reviews (408) Photos (428) Recordings (376) Michael Arledge reviewed Lake James Mill's Creek Trail. It is two stacked loops. We don't have any videos of this trail yet. MTB Podcast | Picnic shelters and group campsites that accommodate less than 50 people are open. Two beginner loops totaling 4 miles and 11 miles of intermediate trails. Authorized in 2015, the Fonta Flora State Trail will connect Morganton to Asheville with a hiking and biking trail. After a half mile, turn right onto Harmony Grove Road, and follow it for 2 miles to a stoplight. Just watch your speed on some of those turns - the trail gets tight in places, and there aren't many berms to guide you through the tight corners. Happy I tried it out with some friends one day. Be advised that the directions of Tindo and Wimba trails have changed as of October 2 and are as follows; Tindo Trail is going in a counterclockwise direction, and Wimba Trail is going in a clockwise direction. Most People I encounter are going in the wrong direction. Entry and/or re-entry to the park is not guaranteed, except for campground reservation holders. The Catawba River park office and gift shop is open Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. This is a great place to introduce beginners to genuine singletrack riding, and the intermediate loops will keep the more experienced riders busy. The network is well-marked with signage throughout. Disregarding trail closures results in: Thank you for respecting our park's natural resources, facilities and fellow park visitors. I rode my Fat bike and felt the terrain was perfect for it. Terms | Privacy. View the contact sheet for the email address and phone number of each park », (General information – please do not call this number for camping or park-specific questions), Office Hours Meant to check in while out there...a little tacky after the heavy rains, but drains well. I really like this trail system. 15 miles of brand new purpose built mtn bike singletrack at Lake James State Park in NC. Widgets, Explore   The beginner trail (Tindo) is short and there isn't much elevation gain but it's a little rootier and rockier than I'd expected. This trail loops through mature forest with a thick canopy. This includes the swim beaches at: Cliffs of the Neuse, Goose Creek, Hanging Rock, Jones Lake, Lake James,  and Lake Norman state parks; the swim piers at Lake Waccamaw, Pettigrew, and Singletary Lake state parks; and all swim areas at Falls Lake, Jordan Lake, and Kerr Lake state recreation areas.