I respect your privacy and will not sell your email address to 3rd parties. When I built my modern bachelor chests, I primed the raw wood with BIN, stain blocking primer and thought I was good. Then start over with applying shellac over the entire area to be painted in thin even coats. Nothing to worry about if you’re planning to have it applied indoor or outdoor as this primer is safe and suitable for both. You will only receive emails from me about my furniture painting adventures. I rolled it on with a foam roller. Sandable, it makes it a great enamel … Hey guys & gals, a few years ago I took on a job where the interior woodwork was brand new and "Pre-Primed". Would you recommend I switch to Kilz oil based or just use another coat of the bullseye? I feel as though I did everything correct on my part - with the exception of re-priming, which my customer did not think was necessary. I am painting varnished dark stained cabinets. Or, even more frustrating, all seems well through all your coats of paint until you apply your topcoat, and THEN the bleed-through appears. The perks: Clear shellac blocks tannin and stain bleed through, as well as seals in odors. Your post was very helpful- but unfortunately I’m reading it on a second attempt! High-quality latex or oil-based primer will do if you are using a clean and in good condition treated wood. And sanding is the only way I know of to distress a latex paint so sand away! It says the Kilz primer is great underneath oil-based and latex paints, but I know the chalked paint is water based. Craftsman Trim and Extended Strike Plates, Priming Cedar and Tannin Bleed with Latex Primer, Stairs Refinishing: Stripping, Staining and Poly. Do you have any help you can offer? Click here for our favorite outdoor woodworking plans. Either way, you don’t have to remove the top coat. Glad to hear you are happy with your results and that I was able to help! Should I use Kilz Primer, or Shellac, on oak cabinets, to prevent bleed-through ? Hi Jennifer, sorry to hear you’re having trouble with your cabinets. I haven't seen any bleed yet and it's been fairly rainy. Thank you in advance for any help!! Done 4 houses since and no more issues. Sometimes, once you paint over the primer, you can see the specific areas that were primed. In fact, this is the first time I've seen bleed through on interior woodwork. Not fun when you become delirious and can lose your balance. I have used Annie Sloan products as well and French Linen is one of my favorite colors from her line of paints. . The next room we did a light shellac coat on everything and it came out great. 2 questions… 1: If I do the shellac how soon can I repaint (this will be 4th layer of chalk paint ugh) too many? Some of those polishes can sink down into the wood through a finish. Applying the Shellac to the entire piece will give your next coat of paint a uniform appearance, WITHOUT bleed-through. But this doesn’t mean that you can pick any available and affordable primer on hand. Make sure to pick a good brand specially designed for pressure treated one to get the results you wanted. Is your kitchen a zen paradise? Should we use the Shellac? I painted two coats of Kilz and the tannins are coming through. But one factor you need to check is if it’s safe to use in occupied homes and workspaces. It’s bleeding through the shellac as well, although less. Good luck with the rest of your project and congrats on being able to seal in your bleed through! The worst stains are in the grooves, so I’m not even sure I’d be able to get that all out at this point anyways. Also, make sure to give the piece a light sanding after the kilz dries and before you apply your paint. (2 years now) Phase 2 experiment, we used Peel away paint remover up to the brown shellac layer then sanded and cleaned, then Citrilized the doors, and then applied two coats of white BIN primer Shellac base and then top with a latex primer and the pink color bleeds straight through. Thanks April! I have also used the dark wax from Annie Sloan and while it looks good, I hate using it because it is a workout and it can be tricky to figure out how much to apply to get the look you want. I am glad that there is a fix to this problem with the shellac. The only product that has yet to fail me is my old standby shellac. A forum community dedicated to professional painters. If I use the spray kilz (my husband actually suggested the same thing) would I spray the chair in entirety or just the bleed through area? Good luck with your project! I used Shellac can spray with all and it did stop the bleed through but when I distressed the furniture I get a light yellow show through, which I think is the Shellac spray. Wise Owl also makes an amazing water-based stain eliminating primer that is also available in a clear formula. Then apply your paint and topcoat. KILZ premium primer is known for its stain blocking feature and high flexibility. Ha ha! To wash off the tannin stain, use SuperDeck ® Revive ® Deck and Siding Brightener. High-quality latex or oil-based primer will do if you are using a clean and in good condition treated wood. I am about to start my 5th dark piece that I want to paint white and also distress. This is a wood that is smooth, stain-free, and paint ready. My customer purchased this wood, even though I wasn't a fan of it due to the fact that I had no control over the primer. If I go over it with the Kilz primer as suggested will I have trouble reapplying another coat of the chalked paint? Solvent-based stain-resistant primers are the best type to use on severely staining boards. I hope you found a solution. I’ve been using the poly as my finish, and the bleed through on my night stand is horrible, and now afraid to top coat my desk with it. Directly painting it could get the work done immediately but never assure a long-lasting and exquisite finish. Now to address your current situation. I am a retailer for Heirloom Traditions products, but I’m not trying to sell you on their products for that reason. So submit your projects! You may hold a record for most stubborn stain ever! It turns out this was a terrible decision as cedar has a tendency for tannin bleed. I love applying chalk paint with a roller. GET BUILDING! Hope this helps! White and light colored paint are particularly tricky because they are susceptible to tannin bleed through staining. They were cleaned by my friend with TSP then I cleaned them again with a BEHR product I can’t remember the name of now, but its specific for jobs like this to remove tannins etc. It has been a good lesson to learn. I then distressed it with sandpaper. Second coat, STILL THERE! There is a similar gray from Heirloom Traditions (my go-to chalk type paint) called Thunderous that you could try as well. Mainly I have these dark grey/black stains coming through in the grooves of the raised panel, and orangey/brown spots coming through in what looks like the shape of water droplets. Then carry on. You may even want to do two coats of primer as it sounds like you probably sanded pretty deep initially which would cause the wood to release more tannins. Nice to virtually meet you! You may want to test one of the cabinets on which you experienced bleed through first with paint and topcoat to make sure the stains are gone. I would suggest giving it another couple coats with new product. I was priming a bathroom inside a giant industrial building and there was no ventilation whatsoever. Because you WANT the old finish to show in those areas. I put on two coats of Old White chalk paint before realizing this was not going to work. We decided to sand it down with a belt sander down to the “raw wood”. Ha ha! Do you think this will seal in the mess I have made? I’ve not known how to correct this so you’ve been a huge help! We have 3 doors that did not go through the paint stripping process and had dark mahogany shellac finish as a final finish. Hello! Good luck on the rest of your project! It’s best to cover the whole piece of furniture, not just the problem area. kilns sometimes don't raise the temperature enough to set it because of the energy expense is greater then the margins on the wood. Most stubborn stains or tannins are blocked between 1st & 2nd coat of primer, provided sufficient time is allotted between coats. A little research will save you time, costs, and of course, elevate the product’s functionality.