I’m going to take just the first two A sections of ATTYA from an exercise in the Zero to Improv book. 1 Month Free Okay, here’s where we start to get into the details and analyze All The Things You Are. To start, let’s take a look at the chord changes and then we’ll dig in a bit further. Unlimited access to 200,000+ titles for every instrument, genre & skill levelStart Your Free Month The more you wrestle with these chord changes the better you will get. Download and Print All The Things You Are sheet music for Trumpet Solo by Jerome Kern from Sheet Music Direct. This final step may seem obvious, but it’s important all the same. Here’s this same portion of the Exercise for Bass Clef instruments: On each chord, we start with the 3rd and move to the 7th. Unlimited online sheet music + 50% off* prints/downloads. Learn how your comment data is processed. Also, by learning it by ear, and not with sheet music, you are exercising your ear. Transcription de Malo VALLOIS. But despite its challenges, like all things, it can be simplified. When it come to improvising in jazz, I have a very important rule: In other words, once you’ve learned the song, the first place you go is not to what scales you should play, but rather ask the question “how does the harmony work?”. The best thing you can do as a jazz improviser is to listen. That means looking at what chords and chord progressions we are dealing with, how they relate to each other and where they lead to. Unlimited access to 200,000+ titles for every instrument, genre & skill level Start Your Free Month Get your unlimited access PASS! It’s often called at jam sessions and gigs and has a lot to teach us about music and jazz harmony. For the sake of this song, it would be better to label it: A1-A2-B-A3. The A sections are all similar but each one has a variation that makes them different. Let’s walk through this tune together, analyze it, and explore ways to approach our improvisation. We go over this kind of stuff and much more in my eBook The Jazz Standards Playbook if you want to get further help. Do the work, and it will pay off! This is an important step, but mostly common sense, so let’s move on. Enjoy an unrivalled sheet music experience for iPad—sheet music viewer, score library and music store all in one app. Essentially, we are just defining the 3rds and 7ths of each chord. Here are the first two A sections from an etude based on All The Things You Are, that can be found in our eBook 15 Essential Jazz Etudes. High-Quality PDF to download. However, it can be helpful to break things down this way. Download and Print All The Things You Are sheet music for trumpet solo by Jerome Kern. Now, if defining the key centers helped us simplify the harmony, defining the key chord progressions will help even further. This is followed by another eight-bar phrase that we will label A’. This explains how we come up with chord progressions and what each Roman Numeral means. Download and Print All The Things You Are sheet music for trumpet solo by Jerome Kern. Now, you may be looking at this and wondering how I know which chords are assigned to the different key signatures. Ultimately, you want to start making some music, not just analyzing and breaking things apart. So practicing composition in its “slow” form can be a great exercise for becoming a great improviser. AABA form simply means we are organizing the song into 4 sections. Reddit gives you the best of the internet in one place. Download free for iPad today. If you follow our blog or podcast, you know that we preach learning jazz standards by ear all of the time. But let me just quickly summarize the importance of 3rds and 7ths. Hi Brent, How did you determine the key centres in ATTYA? If you said ii-V-I, you nailed it. Please don’t get me wrong. Once we map them out, you will already start to see the harmonic structure with more clarity: As you can see, I have color coded the key centers. Brent Vaartstra is a professional jazz guitarist and educator living in New York City. Take some time to look through this and confirm your understanding of each chords function to the key centers. 300,000+ songs via the world's largest in-app store, superior practice tools, easy PDF import and more. © Copyright 2018 - Learn Jazz Standards, LLC, How to Improvise Over All The Things You Are, Access monthly jazz standard studies, and courses. Not only will you know you are learning great language, you will be exercising your ear. He's also the host of the music entrepreneurship podcast "Passive Income Musician.". The B section is unique to the A sections. You bet it would. Listen to lots of different versions of the song and saturate your ear with it. It’s all about becoming familiar with the tune and learning by trial and error. Download and Print All The Things You Are sheet music for Trumpet Solo by Jerome Kern from Sheet Music Direct. The world's premier online sheet music subscription. “All the Things You Are” Sonny Rollins/Coleman Hawkins Sonny Meets Hawk! As I’ve already mentioned, and hopefully you’ve noticed, All The Things You Are does not stay diatonic to one key center. Great advice for all improvisers would be to play along with the greats below the play alongs. It has an advanced harmonic structure with lots of twists and turns. It is best to think of this song that way, rather than try to relate every single chord to Ab. What you’ll probably notice is when chords are moving in fourths (like they do in ATTYA) the 7ths resolve step-wise into the 3rd of the next chord. To help make this clear, I’ve circled all of the “I” chords that define the key centers in their corresponding colors that I assigned earlier. He is the head blogger and podcast host for learnjazzstandards.com which he owns and operates. We need to analyze the harmonic structure of All The Things You Are. The tune is essentially in concert Ab, but it navigates to 5 different key centers. The trumpet community on Reddit. • transcription du chorus de LEE MORGAN sur WHISPER NOT, version Bb, version Eb. Though this is not true improvisation, it can be helpful to compose your own solo to try to connect the dots. Don’t go straight to the sheet music! High-Quality PDF to download. So let’s define the key centers. Cadeau de Stéphane Bihan. my subreddits. However, this song is not very beginner friendly. Obviously, you should know All The Things You Are before you attempt soloing over it. We have a whole lesson dedicated to this in our eBook Zero to Improv, a book that teaches you how to become a great jazz improviser from the ground up. These are the defining notes of every chord. Here’s a short ii-V. What do you do with these licks after you’ve learned them? edit subscriptions. What do you do with it? Turn on a metronome, play-along, or better yet, find a friend and get to practicing! (RCA Victor, 1963) Transcribing soloists on instruments other than your own is essential for musical growth, and this Bley solo from one of Rollins’ most daring albums has been studied by dozens of my non-piano-playing friends. However, to help you get started, try out this ii-V-I lick: That’s is a long ii-V-I. Developing the ear comes with practice, and the best way to do that is to learn jazz language by ear. All The Things You Are is a popular jazz standard by Jerome Kern, and is one of those songs that every jazz musician needs to know. If you understand how 7th chords are constructed, you will realize the differences between each are primarily the 3rds and 7ths. The most important aspect of becoming a great jazz improviser is having a great ear. I know this is not ground-breaking new information, but it’s easily the most important step. Because of its popularity, All The Things You Are is often on the short list of songs that beginners should learn. Download free for iPad today. The major and minor ii-V-I are the most common progressions in jazz and All The Things You Are is almost entirely comprised of them. To you, this may just look like a lot of chords. All the Things You Are can be divided into four sections, with the first two being sub-sections of one larger section: A Section. Explore thousands of interactive sheet music titles with pro-quality backing tracks, plus powerful tools for learning, playing, recording, sharing and performing. All The Things You Are is a popular jazz standard by Jerome Kern, and is one of those songs that every jazz musician needs to know.It’s often called at jam sessions and gigs and has a lot to teach us about music and jazz harmony. Unlimited access to 200,000+ titles for every instrument, genre & skill level Start Your Free Month Get your unlimited access PASS! Download and Print All The Things You Are sheet music for Trumpet Solo by Jerome Kern in the range of C♯4-A5 from Sheet Music Direct. I want you to realize that even if you just played a major scale corresponding to the given key center you are in, you will be playing notes that work.