You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site. He was going in and out of jail, he had loads of little sentences. However, she's also regularly praised by fans for her funny posts and staying true to herself. It was only as I got older that I realised my friends’ families weren’t like mine, that they had dads who were around, not dads who were in prison.”, As time went on, going to see her dad became less and less appealing. “It was unreal – the sort of thing that happens in films.”, It is all the more impressive that Maya (she was named after Maya Angelou, because her mother was reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings when she was pregnant) seems so straightforward and upbeat, fast-talking and focused. The TV star, who is of Somali and Swedish descent, grew up in Bristol but endured years of upset as her father was in and out of prison for a string of violent crimes. [4] Jama moved to London at the age of 16 to pursue a career as an actress. She is so sick, she is the best.". She knows, she says, that “women go for a bad man if they’ve got a bad dad”, but says, in her case, her uncle, and later her mother’s new partner, gave her positive role models, men she could look up to and trust: that has made all the difference to her ability to form a relationship. The Rinse FM presenter explains how she cut ties with her Dad because he kept 'doing bad things'. You have permission to edit this article. She goes in search of answers to her questions by speaking to members of her father’s family, including his sister, her aunt. There was an error processing your request. Maya Jama is one person who does not live in the past, and once she makes up her mind, she does not look back. Maya is a very beautiful and bold girl who has achieved some of the greatest compliment from her colleagues and other famous personnel from the industry. The Sun website is regulated by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO). Did something happen to make him violent? Maya also spoke about how her childhood was different to that of her friends, as her dad wasn’t as “involved” as theirs. You get kind of fed up. 'As it went on, I started feeling overwhelmingly sorry for him. She also launched her own collection with fashion brand Pretty Little Thing in summer 2018, followed by a second collection in February 2019. For most of Maya’s childhood, her dad was, as she puts it, “banged up. Being Stormzy’s partner means she is a constant presence in the tabloids but, she says, she doesn’t intend to be eclipsed by him. Charlize Theron Speaks Out About Her Childhood, Miley Cyrus Chats To Us About Growing Up In Hollywood. It made me even more determined. 'It was a journey for me. KAYU FOX Television 4600 S Regal St Spokane, WA 99223 • 509-448-2828, Laverne Cox: I love seeing transgender people shine, Kylie Minogue: My boyfriend is so supportive, Nikki Bella: I cry every day over how much I love my son, The Latest: Governor urges Nebraskans to follow guidelines, Hot spring chicken: 3 cited for Yellowstone culinary caper, Little Spokane River Artist Studio Tour Show, Ayda Field’s ‘going away party’ for her stomach, Spokane FD crews quickly extinguish garage fire in Browne’s Addition, Rihanna is one of America’s richest self-made women. It gives you a kind of inner strength; it makes you realise that no one will be there for ever. Joanna Moorhead. Obviously boyfriend Stormzy was there to support his boo and tweeted while Maya was on the show. We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article. Table of Biography1 Early Life2 Career, Professional Life, and Net Worth3 Relationship Status4 Body Measurements and Social Media Early Life Maya […] “At 16 you think the world is a fairytale and it took me out of that. She soon headed to MTV and later gained popularity when she hosted a travelogue called Copa 90's Maya's FIFA World Cup Cities during the 2014 World Cup. View our online Press Pack. You only really have yourself to rely on.”, • When Dad Kills will air at 9pm on 27 September, on 5Star, Wait till your father gets home: my life as a prisoner’s wife, Maya Jama: ‘I realised my friends’ families weren’t like mine – they had dads who were around, not dads who were in prison.’, n Maya Jama’s earliest memory, the police are knocking on the door, and then they are asking her: “Where’s your dad?” Maya knew exactly where he was: under the bed. Jama was born and raised in Bristol, where she attended Cotham School. When she was a child, her father was always in prison. In 2019, she donated blood for an NHS campaign and was found to have the rare and in demand Ro blood subtype.[16]. But while Stormzy's ex now enjoys a very glamorous life, it's a far cry from her childhood and teen years. Jama has also dabbled in acting and comedic roles.[15]. However, she has credited his side of the family, as well as her mum, with supporting her and her brother, and ensuring their lives remained as normal as possible throughout. And even though she has denied it, she has come to realise that, even despite her extended family, there is a space that only her dad can fill. “I realised I didn’t know anything about his childhood. There were five children and they were all treated the same, and everyone else is fine. “I told them, and they pulled him out and took him away.