Spoon scant 1/4 cup meat mixture down center of each tortilla; roll and place seam side down in 9x13x2 inch baking dish. The tortillas are fried a little bit first then dipped in the sauce. Add ground beef, potatoes, and carrots, and season again with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool. Add remaining ingredients. Work in batches until all are hot and soft. Mexican Picadillo Recipe You’ll come across wayward variations of picadillo … Fantastic quesadillas filling though. Transfer to the other large plate and place 2 tablespoons of picadillo on one edge. 477 calories; protein 21.1g 42% DV; carbohydrates 46.1g 15% DV; fat 24.3g 37% DV; cholesterol 56.7mg 19% DV; sodium 609.1mg 24% DV. Turn over almost immediately, and fry for about 5 seconds on the other side. We make our enchiladas as layers so simply piling them on top of each other with layers of cheese, shredded chicken (to the chicken we add a little of the enchilada sauce first), and onions. Add measured salt, cumin, paprika, beer, chicken broth, and epazote and bring to a simmer. If there is an easier way to get a homemade, hand-rolled, red-sauced enchilada in my mouth I would want to know what that is. Dry roast for 20-25 minutes at medium heat, turning as needed. After they are thawed, follow the recipe’s baking instructions as written. Delicious as always but I do have a couple of questions. Remove stems from serrano chiles and remove seeds if you don’t want the sauce to be spicy. I did enjoy the onion-serrano sauté base and the potato and carrot addition, but so much liquid in this recipe. Add chopped tomato and cook for 1 minute more. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. It can be prepared in so many variations and is economical. Here's how my mom makes them. LOL. I agree with the other reviewers that the draining of the chiles doesn't make sense. Also to flavor the sauce try adding onion and the chicken bullion with tomato flavor--trust me it makes it taste wonderful! For the sauce do not drain the water when it's done boiling use that blend instead of new water. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally to break up tomatoes, 20 minutes. Making a large-batch of enchiladas means you can make two pans and freeze one for later! Take one fried tortilla at a time, and fill with about 2 tablespoons of the queso fresco. Really happy to see a Mexican picadillo recipe but for the purpose of a review I have to say monitor your liquid input and how wide of a pan you can use. Place in freezer for up to one month. This will keep the tortillas pliable until you are ready to fill them. BUT TRY USING CHIHUAHUA CHEESE INSTEAD "YOU WILL GET IT MORE CHEESY OR TRY THE ORIGINAL MEXICAN COTIJA!FORE A MORE DRIER ENCHILADA. Transfer tomatillos to the blender and blend until smooth. Help! Required fields are marked *. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Immediately soak them in hot water till they are soft.