Brown Butter Almond Cake with Pears Almond-Cardamom Thumbprints with Lingonberry Preserves, Scandinavian Coconut Cookies with Sea Salt, Gluten-Free Scandinavian Almond Cake with Rhubarb Compote, Lingonberry-Studded Almond Cake with Cardamom, Marzipan-Stuffed Danish Strawberry Tart with Chocolate, Blueberry Fruit Soup Sweetened with Honey, Chilled Rhubarb Soup with Vanilla Ice Crea, Great-Grandma Josephine’s Norwegian Waffles with Cardamom (, Old-School Norwegian Prune Porridge with Vanilla Sauce (, Rhubarb Cardamom Crisp with Buckwheat Streusel and Whipped Crème Fraîche, Grilled Salmon with Lemon-Horseradish Cream, Mussels in Aquavit with Horseradish Cream, Norwegian “Prince Fish” with Asparagus and White Sauce (, Smørbrød with Pickled Herring, Egg Salad, a Tangle of Watercress, and Dill, Steamed Mussels with Leeks and Root Vegetables, Swedish Meatballs (No Gluten, Dairy, or Eggs), Wine-Steamed Cauliflower with Creamy Shrimp Sauce, Creamy Celeriac Salad with Horseradish, Parsley, and Nuts, Creamy Norwegian Red Cabbage and Apple Salad, Late-Summer Salad of Local Greens with Cucumbers and Fresh Dill, Red Cabbage Salad with Green Apple, Lingonberry Preserves, and Toasted Walnuts, Rye Berry Salad with Mushrooms, Blueberries, Goat Cheese and Walnuts, Potato, Kale, and Green Bean Soup (Plant-Based), Green Beans and Mushrooms with Dill Vinaigrette, New Potatoes and Chanterelles with Lemon and Dill, Wilted Cabbage with Fresh Dill and Bacon (, Creamy Shrimp and Dill on Cucumber Slices (, Goat Cheese with Mushrooms, Pickled Asparagus, and Crispbread, Norwegian Cheese, Onion, and Mushroom Tart, Plums with Blue Cheese, Walnuts, and Crispbread, Sparkling Aquavit Cocktail with Strawberry and Orange, http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/swedish-pancakes-recipe/index.html. So while one can substitute a bit of vanilla extract in a pinch, the flavor won’t be quite the same. Filter This Page. Spiced Lingonberry Jam. Kvæfjordkake (also known as Verdens Beste Kake, or World’s Best Cake) We publish news from Norway and Norwegian America that is carefully curated and fact-checked. Then when I tried it the first time, I found myself not entirely believing that it would work. I found this Scandinavian store Online where you can buy the ingredients (OLSEN’s Scandinavian Foods like Scan Vanilla Sugar, Pearl Sugar not sold in any supermarket I know of. Will Order to make All of these recipes from my childhood. Any progress on that front? Norwegian Rhubarb Cake While that may not sound appetizing, it does lend a distinct flavor to recipes, particularly in simple recipes like my pannekaker. Well, there are Swedish cinnamon rolls and meatballs, Danish pastries and Finnish pickled herring. We’re talking rye bread, smoked salmon latkes and cinnamon buns… Showing 1-12 of 51 recipes. Midsummer Picnic Potato Salad Nah, I never liked either one. Swedish Meatballs (No Gluten, Dairy, or Eggs) This is more of a guide than a recipe to follow precisely. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. For one, I wasn’t sure how I felt about letting a dairy product sit at room temperature for an entire day. Queen’s Berries Martini It’s breakfast time right now, and those pancakes sound pretty good! I even enjoy ironing linens on cold winter days! So in Modern Scandinavian Baking, today’s bakers will find recipes that are rooted in tradition yet made for today. Gravlax (also known as gravadlax) is also classically Scandinavian. Late-Summer Salad of Local Greens with Cucumbers and Fresh Dill Herb-Roasted Vegetables My family moved to Stavanger in 2017 and quickly acquired a Norwegian waffle iron. Filter Clear All. Arme Riddere (Norwegian Poor Knights) Use it as a garnish for soup, add it to mashed potatoes, basically almost anywhere you might use sour cream. Thank you. The only recipes I know from the area is the Norwegian pancakes. Great to see some gluten free recipes esp Scandinavian ones…..M, I happily found the one bread (JULEKAKE) and of course spelled it wrong before, now looking for the Second..(it sounds like )-Siserkake. Scandi-Style Salmon Burger Learn how your comment data is processed. Find Scandinavian recipes, cooking techniques, and cuisine ideas for all levels from Bon Appétit, where food and culture meet. Use it for the Kvæfjordkake, bløtkake, and any other time you need a good pastry cream. No wonder my kids love them so much…sugar addicts and all . Would you be so kind as to share that recipe too? We found waffle recipe and have been making our own norske vafler ever since. Parsley-Dill Potatoes This is so exciting to find what you do! Norwegian Success Tart (Suksessterte) Finnish Spinach Pancakes (Pinaattiohukaiset) Norwegian Fluffy Sweet Omelet Nordic recipes are in general full of great and healthy ingredients. Fastelavnsboller (Norwegian Shrovetide Buns) Similar to sour cream, homemade crème fraîche is delicious with a variety of sweet and savory foods. Grandma Adeline’s Pizzelles Bergen Easter Chicken So what does Scandi food encapsulate? Strawberry and Rye Berry Salad Welcome to Outside Oslo, where you’ll find traditional and modern Nordic recipes served up with all the love and warmth of Scandinavian hospitality. Homemade Butter Thank You Jan. Looking for Scandinavian recipes? But it did, and the results are so much better than the crème fraîche one will find at the store. My paternal grandparents were Norwegian, came from Oslo..my grandma went to North Dakota and my grandfather to Ballard. Sometimes recipes that look too simple intimidate me. I’m a journalist-turned-food writer dedicated to showing you how delicious true Scandinavian cooking can be. The enticing appetiser features raw salmon, usually cured in a mixture of salt, sugar and alcohol. If I may offer some examples, I’ve included a number of my family’s Scandinavian recipes, from Grandma Adeline’s lefse to Grandma Agny’s bryte havrekaker (oatmeal cookies). However, you are also able to find some of the best and most delicious Nordic dessert recipes. If you have access to fresh or frozen lingonberries (I buy frozen ones from Scandinavian Specialties in Seattle), it’s easy to customize your own lingonberry jam. Lutefisk with Melted Butter and White Sauce Mid-century modern furniture boasts clean lines, it often is colorful, and it may consist of from metal, plastic, or painted wood. Scandinavian Cinnamon Rolls So I’ll be honest, I like to keep things simple when it comes to food. Scandinavian recipes. I found your story interesting. Dill Sauce for Fish Otherwise, it’s incredibly easy to make your own. But when I’m going all out and making everything from scratch, which I usually do, I still want it to taste authentic, like the kakefyll that those who use it will recognize. Throughout the process, the cream will first turned into whipped cream, a state it will remain at for a while. The modern Norwegian pantry is no longer necessary as a means of survival. Old-School Norwegian Prune Porridge with Vanilla Sauce (Sviskegrøt med Vaniljesaus) This should last indefinitely. Crème fraîche figures heavily throughout the recipes, and making it is as easy as can be. We live in Tacoma. (You can unsubscribe anytime). Just be sure to remove any whole spices you might use. Do you have any idea? Gravlax Swedish Mazarin Torte with Nectarines (Mazarintårta) Learn how your comment data is processed. I’d recommend making it it a day before you plan to serve salmon or cod for dinner, as it provides the lightest yet flavorful dill sauce (find my recipe here). Post was not sent - check your email addresses! “Waffles are an institution in both Norway and Sweden and on a Sunday morning in either country, it’s almost as if the entire north of Scandinavia pulls their... “We tend to think of Vikings as ferocious warriors with carnivorous tastes, but the real Viking diet was surprisingly light and nutritious. Those recipes are absolutely authentic. And we do all of this with our readers’ support: thru subscriptions, advertising, and donations. Creamy Norwegian Red Cabbage and Apple Salad Contribute today, © 2020 The Norwegian American | PO Box 30863 | Seattle WA 98113 | 206.784.4617 | ISSN 2473-9251, Norwegian Coffee Treats: A taste of love at Nordic Heritage Museum, Decline in production of potatoes in 2009. The Norwegian American is unique in so many ways. I’m a journalist-turned-food writer dedicated to showing you how delicious true Scandinavian cooking can be. In this class FNK's Dana Beninati will show us how to make monster-decorated treats with the perfect s'… Norwegian “Prince Fish” with Asparagus and White Sauce (Prinsefisk) Grab my Top 20 Norwegian Recipes for FREE. Rye Berry Salad with Mushrooms, Blueberries, Goat Cheese and Walnuts Scandinavian cuisine has shot to international acclaim in the last few years, thanks to the ingenuity of a certain Danish chef by the name of René Redzepi. My wife and I made our first batch of Rommegrot yesterday. Swedish Currant Cake Almond-Cardamom Thumbprints with … While you can buy many Scandinavian ingredients, today I’m featuring a number of recipes for an authentic Scandinavian pantry. Tightly close and vigorously shake until the cream separates into a solid and liquid—butter and buttermilk. Find the recipe here (scroll down toward the bottom of that post). I came to Ballard in 1957 from Iwakuni, Japan! Also do you have a recipe? Rhubarb Cardamom Crisp with Buckwheat Streusel and Whipped Crème Fraîche Beginner’s luck, maybe. Norwegian Coffee Mousse (Kaffefromasj) Fastelavnsboller (Norwegian Shrovetide Buns) Julekake (Norwegian Christmas Bread) Lefse. Plums with Blue Cheese, Walnuts, and Crispbread Meryl, did you ever get a recipe for gluten free lefsa? Green Beans and Mushrooms with Dill Vinaigrette Greetings, I saw your post about coconut cookies and you mentioned a macaroon recipe from Nordstorm. My dad was born in Ballard. Cool and refrigerate until ready to use. The packets of powdered kakefyll available in Scandinavia—and at import stores in the United States such as Scandinavian Specialties—make a fine start for a creamy cake filling. Uncategorized. Sweet-and-Sour Cucumber Salad, Soups & Stews Taste and adjust the sweetener if needed to suit your tastes. Yields 1 cup. Marzipan-Stuffed Danish Strawberry Tart with Chocolate Biff à la Lindström Steamed Mussels with Leeks and Root Vegetables I googled for a lefse recipe and found your page. Danish Blue Cheese Salad Grab my Top 20 Norwegian Recipes for FREE. Don't miss out on this beautiful, easy-to-print e-cookbook packed with sweet and savory Scandi recipes. New Potatoes and Chanterelles with Lemon and Dill Kringle with Almond and Raisins I’m a journalist-turned-food writer dedicated to showing you how delicious true Scandinavian cooking can be. On this page you can find the BEST and most delicious Nordic and Scandinavian recipes. Add honey and/or sugar (add sparingly at first, as you can add more as needed), 2 tablespoons aquavit, and a pinch of salt, and cook for two more minutes.