18 For the builders, every one had his sword girded by his side, and so builded. Nehemiah 4:11. There never was a good work yet but what there were some to oppose it, and there never will be till the Lord comes. Sign Up or Login, To Create and Search Notes: Nehemiah 4:4-5. Thus must we wait to the close of life, never putting off our armour till our work and warfare are ended; then we shall be welcomed to the rest and joy of our Lord.Commentary by Matthew Henry, 1710. Who opposed the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem near the end of the Babylonian captivity. 22 Likewise at the same time said I unto the people, Let every one with his servant lodge within Jerusalem, that in the night they may be a guard to us, and labour on the day. We can sometimes do eighteen hours’ work for him in a day; and we wish that we could do twenty-four. He ridiculed the Jews, 1Now when Sanballat heard that we were building the wall, he was angry and greatly enraged, and he jeered at the Jews. Verse. ... Be the first to ask a question for this page! We left all hands at work for the building of the wall about Jerusalem. In what places, therefore ye hear the sound of the trumpet, resort ye thither unto us: our God shall fight for us. Proud member May the Lord make our families to be the guards of the church! And I said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, The work is great and large, and we are separated upon the wall, one far from another. Good work goes on well, when people have a mind to it. It is a very easy way of showing opposition. And he spake before his brethren and the army of Samaria, and s 3 Now Tobiah the Ammonite was by him, and he said, Even that which they build, if a fox go up, he shall even break down their stone wall. https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/spe/nehemiah-4.html. will they fortify themselves? I stationed them by families with their swords, spears, and bows. 22 Likewise at the same time said I unto the people, Let every one with his servant lodge within Jerusalem, that in the night they may be a guard to us, and labour on the day. Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. All his cares, all his griefs, all his fears, he spread before God. 9 Nevertheless we made our prayer unto our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them. Three easy steps to start your free trial subscription to Bible Gateway Plus. But it so happened, when Sanballat heard that we were rebuilding the wall, that he was furious and very indignant, and mocked the Jews. 1 We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. As soon as a danger is over, let us return to our work, and trust God another time.16-23 We must watch always against spiritual enemies, and not expect that our warfare will be over till our work is ended. They were “wroth” before; now they were “very wroth.” If a work has no opposition from Satan, we may be half afraid it is good for nothing. I like the common-sense of Nehemiah. Such a man as Sanballat never lacks friends. He kept families together. Nehemiah 4:13. Nehemiah 4:10. 21 So we laboured in the work: and half of them held the spears from the rising of the morning till the stars appeared. will they fortify themselves? And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses. Copyright StatementThese files are public domain.Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. What does the Bible say about Mount Carmel? When Nehemiah knew the danger to which the people were exposed, he took measures to guard against it. It is wonderful how unanimous bad men can be. Accordingly the next verse says, Every one had his sword girded by his side. will they fortify themselves? What are some biblical ways to love those you disagree with? will they fortify themselves? We should put on the armor, and take the sword and spear and bow when there is cause for fear; we should never dream of running away. Nehemiah 4:21. So neither I, nor my brethren, nor my servants, nor the men of the guard which followed me, none of us put off our clothes, saving that every one put them off for washing. Begin reading God's Word ad-free with instant access to your new online study library. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. 6 So built we the wall; and all the wall was joined together unto the half thereof: for the people had a mind to work. An integrated digital Bible study library - including complete notes from the Believer's Bible Commentary and the Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible (NIV and NRSV) - is just a step away! 13 Therefore set I in the lower places behind the wall, and on the higher places, I even set the people after their families with their swords, their spears, and their bows. Every true Christian is both a labourer and a soldier, working with one hand, and fighting with the other. Create or log in to your Bible Gateway account. These Jews ought to have been helping to build the wall; but they did not come to the help of the Lord’s people. Nehemiah 4 King James Version (KJV) 4 But it came to pass, that when Sanballat heard that we builded the wall, he was wroth, and took great indignation, and mocked the Jews. And he that sounded the trumpet was by me. will they fortify themselves? 8 20 1 But it came to pass, that when Sanballat heard that we builded the wall, he was wroth, and took great indignation, and mocked the Jews. Font Size. 8 And conspired all of them together to come and to fight against Jerusalem, and to hinder it. He did not say, “Go,” he said, “Come”; and he bore the brunt of the service. Nehemiah 4 But it came to pass, that when Sanballat heard that we builded the wall, he was wroth, and took great indignation, and mocked the Jews. Nehemiah chapter 4 1611 KJV (King James Version) 1 But it came to passe, that when Sanballat heard, that we builded the wall, he was wroth, and tooke great indignation, and mocked the Iewes.. 2 And he spake before his brethren, and the army of Samaria, and said, What doe these feeble Iewes? Nehemiah 4 :: King James Version (KJV) Strong's. Extra Small Small Medium Large Additional Settings . Nehemiah 4 Opposition to the Work. They kept to their work and let these two men scoff as they pleased. Nehemiah 4:9-10. Opposition of Sanballat and others. 9 Nevertheless we made our prayer unto our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them. 11 KJV / Nehemiah / Nehemiah 4; Previous Book Previous Chapter Read the Full Chapter Next Chapter Next Book. And cover not their iniquity, and let not their sin be blotted out from before thee: for they have provoked thee to anger before the builders. 4 Hear, O our God; for we are despised: and turn their reproach upon their own head, and give them for a prey in the land of captivity: 5 And cover not their iniquity, and let not their sin be blotted out from before thee: for they have provoked thee to anger before the builders. will they † fortify themselves? And he that sounded the trumpet was by me. The strength of the bearers of burden is decayed, and there is much rubbish; so that we are not able to build the wall. will they revive the stones out of the heaps of the rubbish which are burned? To Get the Full List of Definitions: Nehemiah put himself and his cause under the Divine protection. will they make an end in a day? In what place therefore ye hear the sound of the trumpet, resort ye thither unto us: our God shall fight for us. 20 In what place therefore ye hear the sound of the trumpet, resort ye thither unto us: our God shall fight for us. Salem Media Group. 19 And I said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, The work is great and large, and we are separated upon the wall, one far from another. Christ is “the Lion of the tribe of Judah.” But Judah, instead of being lion-hearted, made a noise more like a mouse than a lion, for Judah said, —. 2 And he spake before his brethren and the army of Samaria, and said, What do these feeble Jews? And Judah said, The strength of the bearers of burdens is decayed, and there is much rubbish; so that we are not able to build the wall. Nehemiah 4:3. What does it mean that we should not be drunk with wine, but be drunk with the Holy Spirit! “I set the people after their families, with their swords, their spears, and their bows.” Beloved friends, I have no greater joy than such as I had last Tuesday, when I received five children of one family, all brought to Christ. $3.99 a month puts a library of commentaries, study notes, and Greek & Hebrew language tools right in your pocket. Tobiah the Ammonite, who was tarred with the same brush as Sanballat the Horonite, was by him. While some were discouraging the people within the city, their enemies, without the walls, were plotting to take them by surprise, and slay them. will they revive the stones out of the heaps of the rubbish which are burned? God's people have often been a despised people, but he hears all the slights that are put upon them, and it is their comfort that he does so.