An award-winning novelist and comic book illustrator, Craft co-founded the Schomburg’s Annual Black Comic Book Festival. Princess Truly teaches your child about self-acceptance and self-love, showing that she can do whatever it is she sets her mind to. He practices baseball with his baseball coach off the field. If you have two kids to dress up this year (of any age), and Laura Numeroff's series is the talk of your household, then this simple Instructables DIY costume is a winner for even the busiest families. I am surrounded by amazing women and I want to see them in the books I read with my kids. This list is subjective for sure, and only comprised of characters I have read and would read with my children. Every year at the school Halloween parade there's that one overachieving mom who shows up the rest of us with gorgeous handmade costumes. #3) Matilda Wormwood from Matilda by Roald Dahl #19) Meg Murry from A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle Montgomery Entertaining and insightful, it will surely offer affirmation for some readers, revelation for others." He hacks files. #10) Beatrice Prior from The Divergent Series by Veronica Roth If you have good sewing skills and a love for those twelve little girls in two straight lines, try Simple Simon & Co.'s gorgeous take on Madeline's classic French schoolgirl outfit. #13) Rosie from Rosie Revere, Engineer by Andrea Beaty To honor him, I'd like to share some of my affection for his books and his great talent as an author and i... A fun image sharing community. 4th Quater Book Report 7th Grade New Kid By- Tim Green. Give your little one something to get excited about with these super clever DIY options. California residents can opt out of "sales" of personal data. #8) Ramona Quimby from The Ramona Series by Beverly Cleary Who wouldn't love a 4' tall blue cat with a guitar? This makes her realize that not fitting in is a strength — and her determination to save her brother makes her a true hero. Reporting on what you care about. With a lot of drive, determination, bravery, and a little sass, this traveling queen knows who's boss and plans to show the world just that.Â, #4) Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins Using fluffy toilet seat covers. If you're wondering what to do with that denim jumper that's a little too short for your daughter already (thank you, growth spurts! The book addresses expectations for young women and “opens up a conversation, especially for younger kids, about ‘boy stuff’ and ‘girl stuff,'” Clayton said. The Craft Nest's cheap and adorable version is just the thing for your very hungry trick or treater. Young adult girls will love the book series by Meg Cabot about the odd-looking school girl from New York who turns out to be a real life princess. Talk about princess power!  What can't this girl do? When I saw the scene on film, I cried. Parenting win! Get 10% off your first order at the Scholastic Store Online when you sign up! Hilarious and Charming, these stories about two friends: optimistic Piggie and cautious pessimistic Elephant! Robert Munsch's awesome feminist princess is such a great go-to costume if you have brown kraft paper lying around. Want more great kid-friendly DIY ideas for parents? I don’t want to ruin this for anyone who hasn’t read the final book, but let me just warn you there will be tears. Patti Milazzo's tutorial is one of the best DIY versions out there, and it would be easy to adapt for a Hermione or Ron costume, too. Celebrating friendship in a unique way! Olivia is fabulous! Why 'Olivia' Is the Perfect Book for a High-Energy Child, Don't Quit! Princess Diaries. Home Summary Setting Characters About the Author Brock Nickerson. Alice's curiosity and wide-eyed wonder inspire anyone to explore the unknown and take an adventure. Look out for a confirmation email from us.
. #5) Cleopatra from the Cleopatra in Space series by Mike Maihack school-appropriate costume. Autumn Kimball is totally that mom. 6. Rosie Revere Has a Very Important Message for Kids, #12) Harriet from Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh With a magnifying glass and a keen sense of wonder, Nancy Drew can decipher any question and her bravery is no match for the cases thrown her way.  Brave doesn’t seem like a strong enough word for Tris. Go big or go home. Sure, she fights and shows strength in so many other ways, but that one act is central to her character, and why she is one of the best female characters you will find on this list.Â, MORE: "The Hunger Games" on Its 10th Anniversary: Why Katniss Still Matters. I made my own version when I was a teacher, but this one from Pan's Cosplay is a little sturdier and much, much cuter. Obsessed with travel? She is herself and never apologizes for that. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Now, Harriet may have gotten herself into trouble with her notebook full of secrets, but she learns about honesty, friendship, and the importance of character along the way — great teaching tools for any reader.Â, #11) Emily from the Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi. Designing Mom Jenn's crazy clever Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus! And now, years later, writing about it, I still have chills. Get expert advice and learn new strategies for your young readers. Alice costumes are popular every year, but taking a cue from Misha Lulu and making a cardboard box into a house takes it to a whole other level. Pippi is the self-proclaimed strongest girl in the world…and she lives with a monkey named Mr. Nilsson! Explore amazing art and photography and share your own visual inspiration! MORE: Why 'Olivia' Is the Perfect Book for a High-Energy Child, #17) Dorothy from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum If that’s not reason enough for her inclusion on this list, you’ll have to re-read this classic to find a million more. Rosie Revere Has a Very Important Message for Kids, "The Hunger Games" on Its 10th Anniversary: Why Katniss Still Matters, Raising a Rock-Star Reader: 75 Quick Tips for Helping Your Child Develop a Lifelong Love for Reading. Here, the Jared Johnson Fam fashioned a felt minotaur horn, but you could also add a pen and some cardstock lightning bolts covered in neon paint or glitter. It takes a certain kind of sass to pull off a red tutu. Thank you! (Yes, I’m looking at you Hunger Games! I love strong female characters because they mirror the girls and women in my own life. This is a guaranteed crowd pleaser for any Mo Willems fan. This mom dyed white thermal underwear, sewed a pillow into the belly, added a few other details, and voilà. ), #20) Alice from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll Diary of a Wimpy Kid study guide contains a biography of Jeff Kinney, literature essays, a complete e-text, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis. Time traveling and saving the galaxy? Get the instructions here. I Am Momma Hear Me Roar nailed this How To Train Your Dragon costume. Dr. Seuss characters are a costume staple, but wouldn't it be nice to give The Cat In The Hat a rest this year? His dad is a enemy of the government. Library Safari shared this perfect Pete The Cat: Rocking In My School Shoes costume. As her journey continues, she finds out that it's up to her to save the entire world, and this powerful young girl is up for the challenge.  #16) Ginny Weasley from The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling - Cooperative Children's Book Center "New Kid is at once tender and tough, funny and heartbreaking. Full bonus points for getting grandparents in on it, too. Your kid's favorite semi-naked superhero in a (hopefully!) MORE: Why 'Olivia' Is the Perfect Book for a High-Energy Child #17) Dorothy from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum Oz can be a scary place, but Dorothy knows she can be brave with the help of her new friends. School has started, which means it's probably time to talk Halloween costumes. Discover unique things to do, places to eat, and sights to see in the best destinations around the world with Bring Me! She is a classic character who isn't afraid to try new things and see where her next journey will take her.Â. Search, watch, and cook every single Tasty recipe and video ever - all in one place! When the going gets tough, she gets an extra boost of confidence from her great aunt! #1) Hermione Granger from The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling ), stick some striped leggings on under it and follow Make's tutorial for Pippi braids. Ginny not only stands up for friends. After she finds out she is the Stonekeeper and must use her newfound power to save her mother, Emily kicks it into high gear, discovering herself and how strong she really is no matter what obstacle comes her way. Aug 4, 2011 - Some of my favorite characters from children's picture books. New Kid is set in New York City. If Olivia isn't a big deal in your house but Ladybug Girl is, rest assured that you can still see a red tutu in action this Halloween. Known for excellent 24/7 technical support, reliable services, and affordable pricing.