But once you’ve tasted it, you too must surely concur that a cake as good as this can be as demanding as it likes. 225 g plain flour1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda½ tsp salt1½ tsp instant espresso powder75 … Freeze for up to 3 months. The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. This cake. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. 1½ teaspoons cider vinegar or white wine vinegar . This isn’t the voice of prejudice but was – ”was” being the operative word – the conclusion of experience. Though do check at the 30-minute mark to see if it is already done. Nigella Lawson. Get brand new recipes from these chefs and many more…, By clicking SUBMIT, I consent to you using my details to send me The Happy Foodie newsletters and confirm that I have read and understood Penguin Random House's, © 1995-2020 Penguin Books Ltd. Though do check at the 30-minute mark to see if it is already done. Posting this here in case the original recipe ever goes away. Store note: Store in an airtight container (or under a cake dome) at room temperature for up to 5 days. Freeze for up to 3 months. It needs to be runny enough to cover the cake, but thick enough to stay (mostly) on the top. Then turn off the heat – but leave the pan on the hob – then quickly add the finely chopped chocolate and swirl the pan so that it is all underwater, so to speak. 75g coconut butter (this is not the same as oil), 150g dark chocolate (min 70 per cent cocoa solids, see Intro, opposite), finely chopped, 375ml hot water, from a recently boiled kettle, 90ml (75g if weighed when solid) cold-pressed coconut oil, 1½ teaspoons cider vinegar or white wine vinegar. Then turn off the heat – but leave the pan on the hob – then quickly add the finely chopped chocolate and swirl the pan so that it is all underwater, so to speak. ( Log Out /  Store in an airtight container (or under a cake dome) at room temperature for up to 5 days. Please check the labelling on the chocolate you buy. Freeze note: The cake can be made ahead and frozen, without icing. I often take them out the night before, as then they are easier to measure out. It’s true that I first made a version of it – the recipe kindly given to me by Caroline Stearns, my technical guru in the kitchen – when I was giving a supper for a vegan friend, but I now make this as my chocolate cake of choice for people where dietary restrictions are not an issue, and I don’t even need to explain it’s vegan. No need to offer explanations: you just need to offer the cake. On top of everything else, it’s incredibly simple to make. Dark and Sumptuous Chocolate Cake from Nigella Lawson's brilliant cookbook Simply Nigella. https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/dark-and-sumptuous-chocolate-cake I hate the worthy association that comes with vegan cakes, and celebrate this one by scattering rose petals and chopped pistachios over it. This one is super easy to make, delicious, and easily dressed up for extra impact or kept simple. Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group, Exclusive special: Simply Nigella, part one. Put all of the icing ingredients except the chopped chocolate into a heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil, making sure everything’s dissolved. It needs to be runny enough to cover the cake, but thick enough to stay (mostly) on the top. The comments below have not been moderated. Explore. When it’s ready, the cake will be coming away from the edges of the tin and a cake tester will come out clean, apart from a few crumbs. The cake can be made ahead and frozen, without icing. This one is super easy to make, delicious, and easily dressed up for extra impact or kept simple. Nigella’s Vegan Chocolate Cake Ingredients. Turn to your icing, and give it a good stir with a spatula to check it is at the right consistency. ● Once the cake is cooked, transfer the tin to a wire rack and let the cake cool in its tin. Peanut butter chocolate cake and vegan gingerbread: five new sweet recipes from Nigella Lawson From the birthday ‘cake of dreams’ to giant cookies for lone-dwellers, five delicious treats, exclusively extracted from Lawson’s new book, Cook, Eat, Repeat It differs from other cakes of the same sort in that the sponge is fudgy, but not dense, and very moreish; the dried coffee gives an interesting hint of flavour which doesn’t overwhelm at all. The combination stipulated in the ingredients list, however, creates a cake and icing of such depth and fudginess that I never veer from it, even though I know the shopping list is a tiny bit demanding. When cool, carefully wrap cake in a double layer of clingfilm and a layer of foil. We’d love to pop into your email inbox every Friday with foodie give-aways, cookbook news and inspiring recipes just like these. 70% cocoa solids, see Intro), finely chopped. Get our latest recipes, competitions and cookbook news straight to your inbox every week It confounds me. Both the coconut oil and coconut butter need to stand out of the fridge for a good couple of hours before using. You are not required to get a mixer out, or do any heavy lifting at all: this is a simple bowl-and-woodenspoon number. But do give the icing a stir with a spatula every now and again. So pour over the unmoulded cake, and use a spatula to ease the icing to the edges, if needed. Simply Nigella: Feel Good Food from Nigella Lawson. I almost want to leave it there. For more information on our cookies and changing your settings, click here. Please check the labelling on the chocolate you buy. Method: Nigella suggests to start with the icing but I’ve found that when I do this by the time the cake is cool the topping has gone too hard. When it’s ready, the cake will be coming away from the edges of the tin and a cake tester will come out clean, apart from a few crumbs. 75g cocoa. Leave for a scant minute, then whisk until you have a darkly glossy icing, and leave to cool. I would suggest to start with the cake. https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/vegan-chocolate-cake-recipe Registered number: 861590 England. Mix together the sugar, water, coconut oil and vinegar until the coconut oil has melted, and stir into the dry ingredients, then pour into the prepared tin and bake for 35 minutes. The cake can be made ahead and frozen, without icing. It delights me. This cake. It confounds me. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. I used a white sugar instead of a brown and a dried Americano instead of dried espresso, to no obvious detriment; the icing I completely shunned for an easier (and cheaper) chocolate (vegan) buttercream, made from a small amount of softened marg, melted dark chocolate, and icing sugar. But I should explain: I never ever thought I would be in raptures about the joyfulness of a – yes – vegan chocolate cake. Besides, it asks nothing of you in the kitchen beyond some simple stirring. This is the best chocolate cake ever! When cool, carefully wrap cake in a double layer of clingfilm and a layer of foil. Change ). https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16779/vegan-chocolate-cake So pour over the unmoulded cake, and use a spatula to ease the icing to the edges, if needed. Freeze for up to 3 months. Line the bottom of your springform cake tin (you will need a good, leakproof one as this is a very wet batter) with baking parchment. My version has coconut oil in the cake, and coconut butter in the icing, but of course you can use vegetable oil in the cake, and vegan margarine for the icing if you prefer. Once the cake is cooked, transfer the tin to a wire rack and let the cake cool in its tin. I find this takes exactly the amount of time the cake takes to make, cook and cool. Here’s another chocolate cake to add to my amassing collection of favourites. It delights me. Leave to stand for 30 minutes for the icing to set before slicing into the cake. Oct 10, 2015 - I never thought I would be in raptures about the joyfulness of a – yes – vegan chocolate cake. In which case, sprinkle joyously with rose petals and chopped pistachios or anything else that your heart desires; otherwise, leave it gleaming darkly and, indeed, sumptuously. 1½ teaspoons coffee powder. For more information on our cookies and changing your settings, click, Get our latest recipes, competitions and cookbook news straight to your inbox every week, Get our latest recipes straight to your inbox every week, coconut butter (this is not the same as oil), dark chocolate (min. Get our latest recipes straight to your inbox every week. We use cookies on this site and by continuing to browse it you agree to sending us your cookies.