INGREDIENTS Nutrition. Potatoes used in Nikujaga are anything you like. The creation of Nikujaga is attributed to Admiral Togo Heihachiro, the illustrious hero of the Russo-Japanese War. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); that’s what I do with the left over Nikujaga too! My quick Nikujaga recipe comes together in under 30 minutes from a handful of pantry staples. My quick Nikujaga recipe comes together in under 30 minutes from a handful of pantry staples. Literally the word nikujaga means meat and potatoes and is Japanese-style home cooking at it's finest. How interesting that the Japanese only add a small amount of meat for this and use it as a flavouring rather than the main component of the dish. Thanks for teaching me. Your nikujaga looks fantastic. Inspired by Episode 1 of. We also have Tuna-jaga recipe. Nikujaga (meat and potato stew) Recipe – Japanese Cooking 101 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. I made this tonight and it was very yummy. Nikujaga is a Japanese dish containing meat and potatoes that will leave you feeling full and satisfied. I made this and since has become a favorite at our table. Divide the beef, potatoes, carrot, shiitake, shirataki and snow peas among four bowls. Remove from heat and let it sit for 30 minutes. Meat in Nikujaga has to be beef (at least I believe that). Nikujaga is one of those dishes that anyone could wing without a recipe once you know the gist of what it’s supposed to taste like. Do NOT be tempted to add more dashi in place of water because that will make the stew too salty. David, Serves 4. When the beef is tender, add the potatoes, carrot, shiitake and shirataki to the beef. If someone serves me Nikujaga and I don’t see beef in it, that someone is in trouble. Add vegetables, ginger and mushrooms in the pot and saute together for a minute or two. Cover the pan. Literally the word nikujaga means meat and potatoes and is Japanese-style home cooking at it's finest. Nikujaga is literally meat (niku) and potatoes (jagaimo) in Japanese. thanks and there are a lot more recipes to try! If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words. Would it be possible to replace the sugar with something like honey? by Christina Chavez (188) Mahogany Beef Stew. The Asian grocery didn’t have sake (probably because of Colorado’s weird liquor laws), nor did they have anything labeled as cooking saki. Bring to the boil, and allow to boil uncovered for five minutes. Serve with a side of white rice and Miso soup. Thank you! How to make Nikujaga - Japanese Beef Stew. It is a stewed dish seasoned with mainly soy sauce and sugar. If you love our recipes, please donate to support the site. I do, however, have one question: when a recipe calls for thinly sliced beef, what cut do you recommend? Add sake, sugar, mirin, soy sauce, and curry powder and cover. Turn down the heat to medium and skim off any foam or impurities that rise to the surface. So, if you need to add water, do so sparingly. Just wondering what other ways it could be paired with other dishes? Salty, sweet and full of umami richness, nikujaga or Japanese beef and potato stew, is a delicious dish that you're not likely to find in a restaurant. glad you liked our Nikujaga recipe! As a young man, Togo spent several years studying naval science in Great Britain. that used to be true… they eat more meat today. So cook it and show how good a mom (or dad, or person) you are! I’m glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed it. Russet potatoes, because they are soft, tend to dissolve in the broth, but that makes this dish taste good, too. Dhan, This isn't your ordinary "stew", and it is supposed to be runny. https://www.japancentre.com/en/recipes/57-nikujaga-meat-and-potato-stew Laurence, They cook and shoot photos/videos at their home kitchen(s.), I made this dish for my family, and we all really enjoyed it. 25 %, , halved and cut in 1/4-inch cubes or 2 lbs. lynn, Ladle in the sauce and serve hot. Peel and cut a potato into about 4-8 pieces depending on size of a potato, a onion into 8 pieces, and a carrot into small wedges. Don’t have my recipe anymore, thanks for posting yours! Nikujaga is one of the most popular dinner items among Japanese families too. Well, we are OK now, so let’s use beef . This dish is amazing, thank you so much for the guide!