Cook for about an hour, or until okra is tender, stirring occasionally. Some people on this thread need to consider something: Gumbo is not just a Louisiana dish. Fried Chicken Was Not Quality Chicken For Soul Food!!! Don’t buy your okra pre-bagged or boxed – you want to be able to pick each pod individually. … Does it taste good to you all ? Eliza Leslie's Directions for Cookery (1840) includes recipes for both "Gumbo Soup," which incorporates "a round of beef" along with the okra and tomatoes, and just plain "Gumbo," the traditional stewed okra and tomatoes, which she describes as "a favourite New Orleans dish." The author describes her approach to this deeply flavorful stew as a diasporic gumbo influenced by recipes from West Africa, island, Lowcountry, and Louisiana. My husband's tilapia was just ok, but the mac and cheese was a bit clumpy. The glaring omission of the roux is a travesty to Gumbo. Its a great along side smothered steak and mashed potatoes, or rice. And my conclusion? Food & Wine is part of the Meredith Corporation Allrecipes Food Group. My grandmother taught me several techniques to use which will produce slime free okra dishes and gumbos which I’m going to share with you: (1) Cooking technique: Fry in cornmeal, roast it in the oven, or saute it in a little oil at high heat to eliminate slime. Great service and food!! Lots of arguments exist around using tomato in gumbo, Anonymous. Ad Choices, lb. Spoon the roux into the okra mixture, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 10 minutes, … Add the salt, cayenne, bay leaves, thyme, and Shrimp Stock. Is it just me, or is Sylvia's just not that great?It was packed when I got there, and we gave our name to the hostess and were asked to wait, which is totally fine. water. In a large skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Vegan Crab Cakes – Tastiest Vegan Crab Cake Recipe Ever! We swapped the traditional beef or fishcake for marinated wood ear mushrooms in this tasty, plant-based version of a Korean favorite. Because that's definitely what I got. Add the sausage and cook, stirring often, to render out the fat, about 5 minutes. Any food. Stir in the basil and season with salt, pepper and Tabasco. Combine flour and oil, mixing ... mixture, stocks and tomato paste, mixing until blended. But trust me, the end result is totally worth it. The okra and tomato... whatever it is... made me want to lick the bowl. Unfortunately, my first trip to Sylvia's was a bit of a disappointment. When cool enough to handle, trim any meat from bones and return meat to pot. Heads up: From now on, other Yelpers will be able to see how you voted. When no more water drips, turn okra out onto a clean, dry towel and pat gently to remove all traces of moisture.