Good luck! on Thursday it's the final tryouts when I get judged. Thanks for the replies. I've had my expander for about a week and a half. OK I have a mildly weak stomach and a 9 yo who is going to need one of these along with braces. Wearers of Braces: what can't you eat while wearing braces and what happens if u do eat those things? My dd who is 10 got her expander put in 2 weeks ago. And on a side note, if your kid is not crying out in pain with each turn you're not doing it enough! If you have an expander you know, you have to get a perfectly straight shot for the key to enter the hole. As usual when i was scrolling up and down the social media looking for something that may have my attention, i have noticed that a lot of people are asking the same questions like, why does my palate expander key won’t turn ? I had been turning it once a night for the first week no problem. The one on our website works well for us. A rapid palatal expander (RPE) is an appliance used to widen the two halves of the top jaw, also known as the palate or maxilla. I have the key, and I asked the orthodontist exactly how to hold it, thought I understood how to put it in the small hole, turn toward the uvula until the next hole appears, etc. I am very careful when turning but I still lose the hole and the ortho seems to fish is back fine but I can't. I've had my expander for about a week and a half. This video from Steve Yang will show you exactly how orthodontists are professionally turning the expander for their patients. Patients who are going through palate expander treatment either because of a crossbite, underbite, or any other orthodontic issues that require it used to face different problems during the treatment period , whether those problems are about the hardware itself or related to the way it works, and one of these common issue is when the palate expander key won’t turn. http://www.coesmiles.com/palatal-expander Now after you figured out how to do it, let’s go ahead and explain the reasons why this problem happens. My question is how can I turn my expander the key won't even go into the hole! Dr. Harry Aronowitz answered. The RPE is attached to the upper back teeth and eases the suture apart, which makes the jaw wider. I have swollen gums and they're making me sick. I was supposed to reach 28 turns and I'm at 15. Alternative To Palate Expander – NEW GUIDE 2020. How do I turn my daughter's palate expander? This website uses cookies to improve your experience. my palate expander came out! Get your answers by asking now. Thanks for your help. Agree with PP. Is it as horrible as it sounds here? how often to turn the key on a palate expander? I got the palatal expander a while ago and my mom is turning it. No help on the expander as my son had an auto expander put in so we didn't have to deal with turning it. our son just had a palate expander put in, and we were told we need to turn it once a day. ” my palate expander key won’t turn “ Of course it won’t ! For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. You should consult your dentist for explanatory instructions, remember your friends are not your child's treating dentist and their input could sometimes destroy the good relationship you may have with your dentist, every case is different, the age plays an important role in the course of treatment and, please call your child's dentist and ask him any doubt you may have. So if you are not giving your oral hygiene enough attention you should probably put it under consideration and give it more attention to avoid such annoying situations from happening. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. The palate expander key is simply the tool you will use to activate or turn the expander. I did my digging and it appears that there are several reasons that may cause such problem, first let me show you how to turn the expander for people who doesn’t know the steps. If you have an expander you know, you have to get a perfectly straight shot for the key to enter the hole. HEHEHE. I tried feeling around for the other hole so I could push it a little more but it didn't work. Go to the ortho, there comes a point when you've turned enough and It won't turn anymore. The appliance fits over a few back teeth in the upper jaw with a screw in the middle. i've also heard once every two weeks, and am worried that once a day might hurt him too much. Use of a fixed expansion appliance ... Should be a hole in the main apparatus that the key fits into. We only turned DD's once a day for two weeks and then nothing for the 6 months she had it in her mouth. some people leaves their hardware unwashed for days and days then they wonder why the key won’t turn, obviously because of the food sticking between the expander and the roof of your mouth because you didn’t provide a good oral hygiene. Your best bet is to just wait till you can get an appointment, call your regular dentist very soon...not good to not be cranking it everyday. While you can turn your expander yourself, it’ll be trickier to see the inside of your mouth. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Teeth cleaning at dental office during pandemic? 4 doctor answers. A tip to help you make this done in case this happens to your child is to have him lay on the bed with his/her head tilted off the bed so the expander can be seen clearly, grab a lamp for a better lighting and look for the hole. I did a few times BUT, I didn't complete a full turn so I could not get to it. My mom's the one turning it and she can't see the second hole towards the back of my mouth. Once a day should be no problem at all. Wearers of Braces: what can't you eat while wearing braces and what happens if u do eat those things. Palate Expander Pain : How To Relieve It ? JavaScript is disabled. Ask the ortho tech for a tutorial/refresher "how-to". I'm 14 and I turn it myself. I go down as far as possible but will try harder. Ask a parent or other adult to turn the key, if possible. If there is nothing I can do will waiting 6 days until we are back home and can go back cause any big problems for her? Most of my patients are able to absorb one turn a day with very minimum discomfort. The two halves are joined together by a “suture” in the centre of the roof of the mouth. To activate an RPE, you turn the screw a small amount each day with a special key to create tension between the two palatal bones. I won't come back home til 6:30 my Ortho office is close. But I called my orthodontist and it's all sorted out. If it is called a palatial expander, it should be doing the same function which is to widen the upper arch. I'm getting a back tooth pulled out next week under iv sedation but I'm still scared to death of the procedure and catching COVID,any advice. Turning a palate expander is an easy process that only require your attention and to focus where to insert the key and how to find the hole. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. What do you call the person that hands dentist tools? The first time this happened, we went to an orthodontist, however now there are none available; they're all on vacation! our son just had a palate expander put in, and we were told we need to turn it once a day. Need help! Joined Aug 15, 2004. I watched the ortho's demo, but it is rather tricky.? What are the downsides of dentures or false teeth? You're not rotating the device a full "turn". Rapid Palatal Expander (RPE) The rapid palatal expander can correct narrow palates, crowding, and crossbites. ? What do you call the person that hands dentist tools? Your email address will not be published. You're teeth are great!!! with that being said, every orthodontist has their own type of expander and protocol that works best in their hands, so what you see on our website may be different from what your son has. Is the palate expander with the key and without the key the same thing? Have a good nite all. Has this happened to any of you? So how can I put the key in the hole???! Friday I'm not doing anything but I have to turn my expander every other day so My only option is to go in the morning. If the appliance has become dislodged, it can be distorted or partially broken. Thanks for any answers. Get your answers by asking now. on Thursday it's the final tryouts when I get judged. T. tekmom DIS Veteran. Still have questions? Just call them and schedule the appt for when they open again. I thought the palate expander permanently changed the shape of your mouth, but a friend just told me the reason she wears a retainer is because she had a palate expander. And on a side note, if your kid is not crying out in pain with each turn you're not doing it enough! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Dec 30, 2008 #4 XYSRUS said: Agree with PP. In about another 20+ years when your kid's friend finishes orthodontic training ask him for advice. The first time this happened, we went to an orthodontist, however now there are none available; they're all on vacation! Depends on the problem & the type of expander, some kids 2x/day, some kids 2x/month. Adam is acceptable. When you turn the key you should make a visual of the next hole in the line. If you need reassurance of what to expect, please feel free to use our review our protocols and patient instructions on our website. Is dehydration a symptom of urinary tract infection, Is milky discharge from nipples a symptom of normal 03 wk, Is back pain a symptom of placenta accreta, Is melasma a symptom of systemic lupus erythematosus sle, Is painful urination a symptom of genital herpes. The ex ... After i get my palate expander removed, will i need a retainer? Have you tried eating an apple with no teeth? I haven't had any trouble with it until last night. I am going to faint when they put those trays full of goop in and it slips down her throat and gags her. Now, for the second time, she didn't turn it all the way because she couldn't see and the key won't go in the hole anymore so we can't turn it again tomorrow. You probably needed a slight adjustment and you only had to turn for that short of time! What do you call the person that hands dentist tools? What are the downsides of dentures or false teeth? http://www.Coesmiles.Com/instruction-forms I left it alone not thinking anything of it so I went back to my ortho and they turned it for me again.