The simple past tense is only used to say that something happened at some time in the past. Exo 2 He worked during … Kranky Dancing Script Architects Daughter 4I wasn't answeringdidn't answer your call because I workedwas working. 32 Reenie Beanie 8I wasn't sayingdidn't say hello because you walkedwere walking very fast. Just Me Again Down Here 22 Boogaloo Shadows Into Light Two Gurmukhi Coming Soon We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us. Baloo Paaji We didn’t go out because it was raining. Rancho Chewy Neucha Look at the top of your web browser. Fredoka One Kalam Special Elite 80 ID: 223058 Language: English School subject: English as a Second Language (ESL) Grade/level: 4º ESO, bachillerato Age: 15+ Main content: Past tenses Other contents: Add to my workbooks (149) 24 Creepster The short action in past simple often interrupts the longer action in past continuous. Freckle Face Indie Flower Jolly Lodger 7Last Saturday we got upwere getting up late and we were missingmissed the train. Rock Salt We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. What do you want to do? 70 Preview this quiz on Quizizz. 9I sleptwas sleeping happily when a loud noise woke me upwas waking me up. Sacramento Could you explain which tense is correct to use in the following sentences: He worked during the night that's why he slept all day yesterday. Grand Hotel 6When I was seeingsaw her, she worewas wearing a really nice purple dress. Bangers The kids (play) in the garden when it suddenly began to rain. Regular past simple verbs have -ed at the end (e.g. 36 Although they are both past tenses their uses are quite different. The simple past and the past continuous are two tenses commonly used to make general statements about the past. Bubblegum Sans Tense revision Tense revision. Lobster Two Orbitron Mountains of Christmas Schoolbell Fredericka the Great Past simple, past continuous, past perfect. px, Please allow access to the microphone Here's an interactive exercise about the past simple and past continuous tenses - choose the correct tense. Fontdiner Swanky Check my answers 9 Oswald 10What did you dowere you doing when I calledwas calling you last night? 12 The short action in past simple often interrupts the longer action in past continuous. 18 2He was drivingdrove very fast when the police stoppedwas stopping him. Love Ya Like A Sister The specific moment in the past can be described by a time expression  (at 9 a.m., at midday, at lunchtime, all morning, all day, etc. 8 Cherry Cream Soda Aldrich The past continuous describes a longer action or situation and the past simple describes a shorter action or event. Henny Penny 10 Annie Use Your Telescope 5This morning I got upwas getting up and I was makingmade breakfast for everybody. 11 Past simple. 40 Pernament Marker Arial He was playing football when he broke her arm. 20 Unkempt 3It was snowingsnowed when we leftwere leaving home. Open Sans ): We often use the past continuous at the beginning of a story to describe the situation. 13 Covered By Your Grace Luckiest Guy Black Ops One We use the past simple for completed actions that happened one after the other. called, played, arrived). Live worksheets > English > Gloria Hallelujah We use the past continuous to talk about actions that were in progress (not finished) at a specific moment in the past. Pinyon Script Yanone Kaffeesatz When I met Susan she was having a drink at a terrace with a friend. The past simple shows us that an action was in the past, not in the present. Use the past simple to talk about an event which happened at some point in time in the past. Pacifico 50 Amatic SC Close. 28 English as a Second Language (ESL) > Past simple and past continuous > Past simple or Past Continuous? Find out more about cookies and how to change your cookie settings. Comic Neue Patrick Hand Russo One Crafty Girls The past continuous and the past simple help us to show how two past actions or situations are connected. When I went to bed, it was raining. There are two principal past tenses used to make general statements about the past: The past simple and the past continuous. Tom flew to Chicago last week. Email my answers to my teacher, Font: The past continuous describes a longer action or situation and the past simple describes a shorter action or event. Satisfy Compare: (The action of having a shower started before he arrived), (The action of having a shower started after he arrived), Past simple, past continuous, past perfect. VT323 The two tenses are quite different. 60 Ubuntu Lobster 16 By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. Ribeye Marrow ID: 1334126 Language: English School subject: English as a Second Language (ESL) Grade/level: 8 Age: 10+ Main content: Past simple and past continuous Other contents: Add to my workbooks (4) Embed in my website or blog Add to Google Classroom We use the past simple for completed actions in the past, and we use the past continuous for actions in progress (not finished) in the past. 14 Escolar Hello! Gochi Hand If you see a message asking for permission to access the microphone, please allow. 1I was falling downfell down while I wentwas going down the stairs.    Size: