Sigh. I increased the salt by half a teaspoon and used 1/3 cup sugar instead of 1/4 cup. Trader Joe hauls will be coming back but are on pause for right now. By Rebecca Swanner | April 16, 2020 | Leave a Comment. The recipe calls for 4 tsp of baking powder which is quite a lot. It comes out looking something like this: Amazing! Bake for approximately an hour or until set. The recipe calls for flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, milk, and of course, peanut butter. Everything is mixed in one bowl. I'm the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Let's Eat Cake: The world's first smart, funny lifestyle site for women. Meet the bread trend taking over Pinterest: Quick Peanut Butter Bread. You can switch to stirring with a spatula or spoon if needed. Thank you. It, Chicken Tortilla Soup is my favorite soup. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love this bread. Thi, Spaghetti Squash Boats with Italian Sausage & Marinara, Depression Era Peanut Butter Bread Recipe (6 ingredients, no yeast! Try this recipe adapted from the Five Roses cookbook: This quick bread could be your next quarantine snack! Just pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for about fifty minutes and you’re set! Bake for 50 minutes or until internal thermometer reads 205 or a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. A quick bread, or a chemically leavened baking powder bread, you can do it one, two, three. It’s up to you if you want to share. Bake until the center and bottom of the loaf reads 205-215. I added a little more sugar and it was perfect for us. Add in remaining ingredients and whisk until completely combined. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and then bake the bread for at least one hour. Too much gluten leads to chewier, tougher bread. Your email address will not be published. We’re your source for the latest on lifestyle, entertainment, travel, fashion, beauty, and baking recipes. Or, if you’re just trying to figure out how to get more carbs in your diet, it can help! Thanks for sharing. My recipe for Peanut Butter Bread made without eggs, butter or yeast is baked using basic ingredients to create a rustic loaf with exceptional taste. Subscribe and be the first to read our awesome content! If you’re looking for something sweeter you can increase the sugar or if you are looking for something more savory you can reduce the sugar. Steals and Deals: Save up to 75% on holiday entertaining essentials. Hi Lesa, I always use the JIF brand creamy ‘natural’ peanut butter for this and really most of my baking that calls for peanut butter. The recipe comes from a 1932 cookbook: Five Roses: A Guide to Good Cooking. While it’s baking you can brainstorm for toppings. Is it possible to use bread flour or whole wheat flour for this recipe? An in-oven thermometer will tell you the real temp. “It’s made with baking powder so it’s easy for a home baker to do that. The bread is moist and soft. Add flour and mix in until fully combined. The recipe requires no yeast, no sourdough starter, no eggs and no oil! The peanut butter flavor is also subtle. Rosser enjoys her peanut butter bread with a pat of butter. And not like a piece of toast with peanut butter on it. You were not kidding about the batter being thick. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Pour into a greased loaf pan. The recipe resurfaced … Now, you’d think peanut butter bread would be sweet and peanut buttery. Then add in all the dry ingredients and stir until completely combined… I just learned about this depression era recipe yesterday. This will prevent you from working the flour too much and overdeveloping the gluten. We made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches a couple days after baking it ? If you’re interested in discovering how to make the original recipe, watch the video below! Ovens are rarely calibrated properly. This peanut butter quick bread has been very popular these last few months because of its minimal ingredients. This peanut butter quick bread is easy to make and everything is mixed in one bowl without a mixer. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk and peanut butter until well blended and no peanut butter chunks remain. Like E-A-S-Y. The loaf baked at 350 held together and had nice golden brown edges. Tips & tricks to stay on track, look great, and feel your best. Crusty, hearty and perfect with a spread of jam/jelly or butter makes this the perfect breakfast or snack treat. Line with a strip of parchment paper so that it hangs over the narrow ends of the loaf pan. Just get it combined well enough so that there aren’t big strands of peanut butter throughout the batter, these won’t blend in and will cause cracks in the bread. I ate mine with some salted butter and strawberry jam and it was perfect that way but the possibilities are endless. Pour the batter into a greased or parchment-lined 9×5-in. (It’s a little different from our version.). Happy Halloween! First time hearing about peanut butter bread! But really, if you are looking for a quick bread to serve thinly sliced (not how it’s pictured in the photos before we knew better), bake this up. It has a wonderful, soft texture and it’s very subtly sweet (there’s only a 1/3 cup of sugar in the whole thing). In fact, it’s a pretty dense, not very sugary bread that doesn’t have an overwhelmingly nutty flavor, even though we used 1 cup of peanut butter. Terms | Privacy. You can also bake in a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. by Melissa Jameson Recipes from the depression era have come in handy these last few months since so many of them require minimal ingredients and avoid hard-to-find ingredients like eggs, yeast, or butter. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to one bowl and mix them all together. I just used a single mixing bowl, whisk and spatula. If you are a peanut butter fan like I am, this one's for you! Filed Under: Misc, Most Popular Recipes, Snacks & Sides Tagged With: Depression era recipe, no egg bread recipe, no oil bread recipe, peanut butter bread recipe, My 2 year old son helped me make this bread. If you try it, I’d love to hear how it turns out. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and then bake the bread for at least one hour. The batter will be very thick and may be difficult to whisk near the end. I would trying adding maybe a scant 1/4 cup to start. I have made this recipe several times using only ground peanuts but it always turns out dry. The original recipe can be found here, but it’s originally from a 1932 cookbook called Five Roses Flour. Find out more about how we use your information in our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. Do not over bake. Mix everything but the flour together first. A soft and very tasty bread made with just flour, peanut butter, milk, sugar, salt & baking powder. Here are some more you may want to try: The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. Make sure the peanut butter is fully incorporated but don’t overdo it on the mixing. We hope you enjoy following along! Disclaimer: this post may contain affiliate links, which means if you decide to purchase any of the items linked in this post, I should earn a small commission. Add milk to the flour mixture and then mix in peanut butter. Make The Peanut Butter Bread Recipe That’s Taking Over Reddit. How to Make No Yeast Peanut Butter Bread. So, unless you have forearms of steel (in which case, we have some jars we need you to open), use the premixed stuff.