You’ll find some people adding vanilla, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cinnamon or star anise to their lemon possets. Lemon posset, deliciously creamy lemon dessert that showcases this beautiful citrus fruit. For a quick and simply summery dessert, it doesn’t get more simple then lemon posset. The spout allowed the posset to be drunk while the skin was scooped up and eaten with a spoon. It started life in the 15th, possibly 14th, century, as a restorative drink of milk curdled with alcohol. "Hobbies I’ve Started During Lockdown || AD", In a large bowl, rub the lemon zest into the caster sugar, Pour the cream into the bowl and whisk with the condensed milk, Finally, add the lemon juice and watch as the mixture thickens before you, Pour the mixture into the four ramekins and leave to set in the fridge for a couple of hours, Top with raspberries and serve with shortbread biscuits, 130g french butter (if you can’t find french butter, use a good quality butter), Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, Add both the flours, bind together and then press into a shallow 20cm square tin, Score into 8, press with a fork then leave in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes, Cook in a preheated oven of 170oc for 30 minutes. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Incredible! The recipe is from the delightful book Midnight Chicken, which, if you haven’t heard of, I would urge you to get your hands on a copy. Lemon Posset with Perfect Shortbread. Because that’s what it’s called!  Thank you! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I usually serve some shortbread biscuits on the side. Top each serving with a sliver of lemon, a few raspberries, blueberries or blackberries and a spring of fresh mint, or perhaps a shortbread biscuit! On a side note: with 4 kids, rather unfortunately though, when I think of the word posset, what comes to mind is that regurgitated milk that babies bring up on one’s shoulder all the time! As the posset cooled down, it formed a creamy layer on top, like skin on custard. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. I am definitely making this for the weekend, perfect timing. I’ve paired this with my perfect shortbread (seriously, it’s so good), but you can use shop-bought biscuits to serve alongside, for an even lazier pud (I am all about saving on the washing up). Serve into your chosen glasses and chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. ♥And if you make the recipe, share it on any platform and tag me @azlinbloor, and hashtag it #linsfoodLin xx. In-Depth Recipes, Food Culture & Food Stories, Published 17/01/2020, updated 22/04/2020 12 Comments. I’ve paired this with my perfect shortbread (seriously, it’s so good), but you can use shop-bought biscuits to serve alongside, for an even lazier pud … Allow the mix to cool slightly then pour into 6 glasses, place in the fridge and let it set. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Making the Perfect Lemon Possets! Here is a quotation from one of my favourite plays of all times, Macbeth; the Lady is waiting for him as he does away with Duncan: The doors are open; and the surfeited groomsDo mock their charge with snores: I have drugg’d their possets,That death and nature do contend about them,Whether they live or die. After cooking the cream for a few minutes, we add lemon juice to it, effectively curdling (souring) and thickening it. Take a look at the extract below, taken from The Experienced English Housekeeper, by Elizabeth Raffald, published in 1769. Err, not all at once though, ok? I’m really intrigued by the ancient dessert. Put the double cream in a large pan with the sugar. Top it with any of the suggested garnishes above, or leave it plain if you prefer. A refreshing dessert that's as delicious as it is easy to make. 1. However, this is of course completely unnecessary for wonderful shortbread, any good quality butter will produce great results. Getting quickly to the actual posset of the day…. That’s it. I’m definitely making this for the valentine’s day to make the dessert portion of the meal easy. Your email address will not be published. RTÉ is not responsible for the content of external internet sites. Watch this space for the the Regency recipe for Naples biscuits! and the great thing about shortbread is its buttery flavour. Lemon posset is perfect for parties, as making it the night before allows it to set to a firmer consistency. These cookies do not store any personal information. Lemon Posset is a ridiculously easy British dessert of chilled cream, needing only 3 ingredients. Let me know what you like best. Just use lime juice to make lime posset, or a mix of both. Serve with a few raspberries and shredded mint. Your email address will not be published. Lemon posset, a super easy, chilled creamy dessert, flavoured with lemon juice, and made in minutes, then placed in the fridge. Thank you, Maria, I enjoyed writing this one! And it has long been a favourite dessert of mine because I love all things creamy. Take it off the heat, add the lemon juice and zest and whisk well. The posset itself requires no baking no-how, it’s just a handful of ingredients mixed together in a bowl and then chilled. In a saucepan, boil the sugar and cream together for about 2-3 minutes. South Asian Recipes (India, Pakistan & Sri Lanka). Bénédictine Cocktail, Green Tomato Chutney (how to use up Green Tomatoes), Eggless Pumpkin Cheesecake (super easy, using Canned Pumpkin Purée). Just a quick note on the shortbread recipe;  I have noted in the ingredients that you should use french butter because french butter is so bloody delicious (I don’t know why!) Copyright Azlin Bloor LinsFood.com 2011-2020. When it's simmering, lower the heat and cook away for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time. Taste your posset, and add more lemon juice if you think it needs it. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Lemon Posset is a chilled, British dessert with a gloriously plush texture and bright citrusy flavor. You could add some zest to the cream as it is boiling, then strain the mix before adding the lemon juice, unless you want bits in your posset. Eunice Power's baked chocolate puddings: Today, Eunice's orange and marmalade cake: Today, Eunice's chicken with roast cherry tomato: Today. Place the cream and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. And if that’s the way your boat rocks, by all means, try it with the above mentioned spices. crumbled biscuits (like shortbread or ginger cookies). It would be a perfect finish to a meal for any gluten-intolerant guests. Thanks Azlin! Bring slowly to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. And it has long been a favourite dessert of mine because I love all things creamy. With the amount of cream here, I find that 1 and a half lemons is perfect; that’s about 4 tablespoons of lemon juice. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. It’s food writing at its absolute best, plus it encourages my exact approach to cooking; you don’t need to be a fancy chef/baker to enjoy yummy things at home. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemonpossetwithlemon_85812 You can see that by this time (the 18th century), possets were also thickened in different ways, whether with biscuits, egg yolks or bread. Lemon Posset is the perfect backdrop for just about anything! It started life in the 15th, possibly 14th, century, as a restorative drink of milk curdled with alcohol. I feel enriched and enlightened. Whether you’re looking for easy desserts, or more challenging ones, you’ll find a great collection from all over the world, on the Desserts page. It really is the easiest of recipes, so shall we get our aprons on? The latter was known as Sack Posset. Hi Josephine, it’ll keep for up to 3 days, happily. Since we moved house, I’ve been popping the local radio on most mornings. You'll notice the cream souring and thickening at the stage. However, it’s a matter of taste, add more as you are making it, if it’s not lemony enough. And what a lovely writeup to go with the recipe. One ad that keeps repeating over and over is the Asda Good Living James Martin Lemon Posset ad. This magic happens with just three ingredients! Lemon Posset in shot glasses. I typically hate local radio because the music is pants (I’m a metal and goth fan at heart) and there are too many ads. Little dessert, wine or sherry glasses are perfect for this. The Posset drinks of old, which were thinner than our lemon posset here, were served in special cups with little spouts on one side. RTÉ.ie is the website of Raidió Teilifís Éireann, Ireland's National Public Service Media. Required fields are marked *. Add the lemon juice, mix well. We love lemony desserts and this sounds so easy. It’s the same process for when making the filling for Key Lime Pie and Lemon Tart, except that here, we cook the cream first. © RTÉ 2020. In a saucepan, boil the sugar and cream together for about 2-3 minutes. This lemon posset is the perfect make ahead dessert to impress your dinner guests and satisfy everyone after a delicious meal. Method. It has been enjoyed for centuries in the form of a hot, tangy, creamy drink that dates back to the Middle Ages. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are as essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. The straining is also a great way of getting rid of any odd lump that you might have from the edges of the pan (don’t scrape the pan sides). Hey folks, I’m Azlin Bloor; former chef, culinary instructor and food stylist. It is made simply of condensed milk, cream, a dash of sugar and lemons, so make sure you get the best quality ingredients you can find. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Chilling the posset overnight thickens the consistency considerably.