GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select a Beginning Point i. d. A sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God: Paul described the gift of the Philippians in terms that remind us of sacrifices in the Old Testament (Genesis 8:21, Exodus 29:18, 29:25, and 29:41). C. Paul comments on the giving of the Philippians. Usernames should only contain letters, numbers, dots, dashes, or underscores. b. i. I have learned: Paul had to learn contentment; it isn’t natural to mankind. Luke-Acts And to let other instances passe, in the point whereof we now speake, how oft doth our Saviour exhort to rejoyce and be glad in persecution, because of the reward laid up for us by God in heaven; to rejoyce because our names are written in heaven by the finger of God's own hand; to be of good comfort, because He hath overcome the world, that is, to rejoyce in the Lord! For even in Thessalonica you sent aid once and again for my necessities. d. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me: This refers to Paul’s ability to be content in all things. In chapter 4, he begins to … c. So stand fast in the Lord, beloved: We can only stand fast when we are in the Lord; any other place is not a secure place to stand. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select a Beginning Point Undue care is an intrusion into an arena that belongs to God alone. Our English word "attitude" comes to us through French, Italian, and Latin from a Greek word that meant "to fasten." Philippians 3:1. i. Which surpasses all understanding: It isn’t that it is senseless and therefore impossible to understand, but that it is beyond our ability to understand and to explain – therefore it must be experienced. When they had the opportunity, then their care for Paul flourished again. Minor Prophets Who is at risk when God’s people slip into spiritual slumber? Across traditions, faith leaders reimagined and envisioned what it means to live without the physical assembly in the physical space. When will these things be? They are charged to work and watch, and not to be found asleep. (4) Rejoice in the Lord . Others are continually inclined to take dark views of life; their humor is seldom cheerful. “Instead of being sad about the evils to which you are exposed, may you always be joyful in your life in the Lord. Always be joyful! c. Prayer and supplication: These two aspects of prayer are similar, but distinct. Paul genuinely wanted God to be glorified and was willing to be used in whatever way God saw fit to glorify Himself (Philippians 1:20). (d) So is the joy of the world distinguished from our joy. Prophets but to shew how needfull it was they should do so, and how hardly men are drawne to do so. Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that abounds to your account. Who seeth not, that considereth anything, what mightie enemies we have alwayes to fight withall, the flesh within us to snare and deceive us, the world without us to fight and wage warre against us, and the devil ever seeking like a roaring lion whom he may devour? Their minds are so sweetly occupied with higher things, that they are not easily distracted by the little troubles which naturally arise among such imperfect creatures as we are. (Phl 4:3) Instructions to the true companion. i. a. Rejoice: Despite the circumstance from which it was written, joy is all over the letter to the Philippians. (225) For if they are appalled by persecutions, or imprisonments, or exile, or death, here is the Apostle setting himself forward, who, amidst imprisonments, in the very heat of persecution, and in fine, amidst apprehensions of death, is not merely himself joyful, but even stirs up others to joy. Romans 12:2 speaks of the essential place of being transformed by the renewing of your mind and 2 Corinthians 10:5 speaks of the importance of casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. The speech of Mark 13 is Jesus’ response to the disciples’ query: “Tell us, when will this be, and what will be the sign that all these things are about to be accomplished?” (13:4). ii. a. Hilda Bright. And as their eyes are fixed on the Lord they are especially to be fixed on His own triumphant progress of faith in the face of suffering (Philippians 2:5-11), a progress into which they are to enter by setting their minds in line with His, and receiving His mind, taking the way of humility and the way of the cross so that finally they might receive the crown (Philippians 2:5-11; Philippians 3:10-21). Philippians 4:4 “Rejoice in the Lord always: again I will say, Rejoice”. All of this tells us, that if we are unhappy, then it is our own choosing. Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy; meditate on these things. Often people attack the writings of Paul. The apostle now takes up the thread of his thoughts from chap. Spurgeon thought that this verse was a great illustration of that wonderful miracle in 2 Kings 4:1-7, where Elisha told the widow to gather empty vessels, set them out, and pour forth the oil from the one small vessel of oil she had into the empty vessels. For some congregants, the closing of houses of worship across the United States and the world due to the COVID-19 pandemic felt like ‘temple destruction’. As Paul described them in 2 Corinthians 8, it is plain that their giving was sacrificial. 2 I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. 2. General Epistles Not that I speak in regard to need: Paul reminded the Philippians that his thankfulness for the Philippians’ giving wasn’t because he was needy (though he was in fact in need), but because it was good for them to be givers. These women who labored with me in the gospel is a telling phrase. The attacks from legalists on the one hand and libertines on the other, plus friction among certain members of the church, contributed to this spirit. b. Amen: This was a fitting word of affirmation. And wherefore else is it, but to imply both how needfull a matter it is to be perswaded, and how hard a matter it is to perswade the mortification of the old man, and the quickening of the new man? Indeed I have all and abound. Comfort? In the midst of it, the call to wait and watch and work remains. “What a gracious God we serve, who makes delight to be a duty, and who commands us to rejoice! Philippians 4:4 - Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Yet all of these negative circumstances could not remove from him the joy he found in being a Christian. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation.