Here's what you need to know. Our experts tested the healthiest ice cream brands, including pints, bars , pops, sandwiches. To avoid overindulging, try pre-portioned products like ice cream bars or mini containers. I decide this is intriguing enough to try. Ice cream can be a delectable treat, as it’s creamy, cold, and sweet. Most ice cream is high in calories and added sugar while low in nutrients. This entire pint is just 400 calories. Guilt-Free Ice Cream Is Trending, but Is It Actually Healthy? Additionally, products without added sugar usually harbor sweeteners like sugar alcohols, which may cause digestive distress, including bloating and gas, in some individuals (5). (Although ice cream is said to be the worst food to eat during the pandemic!). If you're able to have just one serving at a time, you're still consuming 32 grams of sugar, which wipes out your day's allotment. Although they’re approved by the FDA, some research links these dyes to hyperactivity and behavioral issues in children (13). A girl from my high school who I haven’t talked in at least 15 years posts a Facebook status update: “150 calories and zero fat for a whole pint of ice cream? You can also go for homemade ice cream that’s simple and nutrient-dense. It’s 150 calories and 24 grams of carbs — I’d rather get a McDonald’s vanilla cone that has similar stats. (Also, I’m about two-thirds through the pint and I can’t really eat any more. 17 Healthy No-Prep Recipes for the Days When You Just Can’t, 4 tablespoons (60 ml) of unsweetened almond, coconut, or cow’s milk. And that's not the only ice cream pint you're going to want to leave in the freezer aisle. I dig in with one of the 14 biodegradable spoons I took from the Whole Foods free biodegradable tablewear dispensers. Even cold fudge. This table highlights the nutrients in 4 common varieties of vanilla ice cream per 1/2-cup (65–92-gram) serving (1, 2, 3, 4): In most cases, premium ice cream — which is processed to be richer and creamier than regular ice cream — is also higher in sugar, fat, and calories. Ice Cream Diet: Weight Loss Fact or Fiction. The key is moderation. It also has a much more powerful taste than the mint chocolate chip. Guar gum, which is used to thicken and texturize foods, is also common in ice cream. So, the pint will most likely be more calories - even at 150 cals a serving, it's still 600 cals for the pint. Ice cream has several downsides. Here is a chronological rundown of my adventure. You can serve the mixture immediately or freeze it for a more scoopable texture. Interestingly, while low-fat or no-sugar-added products are often promoted as healthier, these choices may contain around the same number of calories as regular ice cream. It’s more like sweetened cold. They don’t always stink, but they’re always very loud. And I wonder why they feel the need to charge more than the other grocery stores. Ice cream is laden with calories but offers few nutrients — aside from calcium and phosphorus (10). That’s not to say frozen dairy desserts are a healthy part of a regular diet, though, since most calories in ice cream are in the form of fat and processed sugar. I learned about it yesterday afternoon. Naturally, he loves the Arctic Zero and licks the spoon dry. So are we. There’s an ice cream — or, rather, an “ice cream” — that only has 150 calories for an entire pint. I wouldn’t necessarily describe it as ice cream, and that’s apt, because it’s not real ice cream. This pint also contains more than 100 grams of carbs. All rights reserved. 2 (indigo carmine). Like most processed desserts, ice cream has several health drawbacks to keep in mind. It’s a true case of quantity over quality. I’ve switched to the cookies and cream. To get your chocolate and PB fix, why not try out Enlightened's Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream. Our website services, content, and products are for informational purposes only. Naturally, you may wonder about the potential downsides of this dessert — and whether you can include it in a healthy diet. We know—it's sad to see a beloved Ben & Jerry's flavor as the worst, but Peanut Butter Cup isn't doing your waistline any favors. There’s an ice cream — or, rather, an “ice cream” — that only has 150 calories for an entire pint. But, if I can recall, the times I have powered down inhuman quantities of ice cream, it hasn’t taken me that long. Choose the calculator you like. However, it’s high in sugar, calories, and possibly additives and artificial ingredients. Something about the texture gives it that look at all times. Because the name of this flavor is cutesy and not descriptive—a signature move of Ben & Jerry's—here's what makes the Chubby Hubby what it is: "Vanilla malt ice cream with peanutty fudge-covered pretzels with fudge & peanut buttery swirls," as stated on the site and at the bottom of the ice cream pint. Ice cream is a dairy product and offers some benefits like calcium and a few grams of protein; check the nutrition facts on the product packaging for exact amounts. Repulsed? However, there is something good here. For context, you could eat half of a jar of Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter—which contains about 1,330 calories and 112 grams of total fat—as a comparable treat. Which is the same thing you’d say after going to a Hoobastank concert. If possible, avoid heavily processed ice creams by choosing those with a small number of easy-to-read ingredients (16). Can you include ice cream in a healthy diet? A single pint of this ice cream which, note, is two ounces less than a traditional pint of ice cream, packs nearly 1,200 calories. This could benefit so very much from a handful of chocolate chips or some hot fudge. The Chubby Hubby ice cream flavor from Ben & Jerry's is yet another truly unhealthy ice cream pint.