No Victory Without Sacrifice Teferi safely returned one of the lost continents to Dominaria—but at what cost? I'm not sure if it was worth the future design headaches (as the majority of the color pie shifts in Planar Chaos were only for this set, but that doesn't stop aspiring designers from trying to justify green fliers, red bounce, or white regeneration), but it did lead to cards that could never be made in other sets. Copyright © 1995-2020 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Our visit to Dominaria, and perhaps Dominaria itself, is nearing its end, but there are … Welcome to What If… Week! View cart for details. Search for the perfect addition to your deck. Set: Planar Chaos Type: Enchantment — Aura Common Cost: {2}{U} Enchant permanent Vanishing 3 (This Aura enters the battlefield with three time counters on it. This changes the distributions slightly (as each pack only has eight normal commons and two normal uncommons), but I'll be treating the timeshifted cards as normal commons and uncommons for the purposes of my limited review. These cards fell into a few different buckets. "Show Magic. Instead, Wizards decided to take an alternate view of the color pie, and give a lot of colors things they don't normally do. And for each one, the author was allowed to pick the what if situation he wanted. The alternate reality theme of “mechanics in different colors” is shown most directly in the Timeshifted cards, as they are literally existing cards printed in different colors. Gatherer is the Magic Card Database. Alternate reality takes some piece of that and changes it. Details Planar Chaos was also the first and only edition to contain color-shifted cards. The problem is that you still have the lack of card quality in Time Spiral to overcome to get there. In honor of the alternate reality craziness that is Planar Chaos, we've decided to have a theme week all about alternate realities. on February 26, 2007, Bio There are no artifacts in Planar Chaos. Akroma is immediately recognizable yet totally different from her “real” incarnation, making her a perfect example of the alternate reality strangeness of Planar Chaos. Blightspeaker is the black rebel searcher, and it is quite powerful. His hobbies: spending time with family, writing about Magic in all mediums, and creating short bios. Current slide {CURRENT_SLIDE} of {TOTAL_SLIDES}- Best Selling in CCG Individual Cards. While, With black giving all its removal to other colors, it doesn't have much traditional destruction in this set (just, The removal carousel continues, as while red didn't lose burn (and both, The removal train even made a stop in green, as while, As there are basically no colorless cards in the entire set (only, The evasion theme of White/Blue continues, even with the lack of Shadow in the set. As a Monday columnist I get the chance to start this ball rolling, so let me begin by telling you my what if: What if… Magicthegathering.com (and "Making Magic") had been around in Magic's early days? Something went wrong. Last week, I talked about the vision design of Commander Legends. People know about key events of history. Kicker shows up on four green cards, while there is a vertical cycle of split cards where each of the halves is mono-red. On one hand, red got a lot more aggressive between bounce, combat tricks, and creatures like, Like BR, the Red/Green deck is missing both of the defining traits from the Time Spiral archetype: the Slivers are awful, while, The Thallid token deck finally comes into its own here, with, While I hinted that the White/Black might appreciate Rebels more than others last time, the addition of. One thing I had planned was to do quick updates on Eternal Masters spoilers in this space, but Wizards has been really slow with the spoilers. With Time Spiral block going for a time theme, the “past, present, future” division for the three sets was just too obvious to ignore, but it did put the middle set in a weird place: how do you do a set based on the present? When Reality … As always, I'll be focusing on the mechanics that have been changed significantly, while rounding up other changes at the end of the mechanics roundup. The two major differences are that Vanishing uses time counters (to combo with all the Suspend manipulators like. You'll understand why in a second. Powered by, translation missing: en.general.social.alt_text.share_on_facebook, translation missing: en.general.social.alt_text.share_on_twitter, translation missing: en.general.social.alt_text.share_on_pinterest. With bounce being in both blue and red (once you add Time Spiral to the mix), a Blue/Red tempo deck might actually work here. When Reality Acid leaves the battlefield, enchanted permanent's controller sacrifices it. The weirdest part is that they were an entirely separate rarity, with each pack containing three Timeshifted commons and one Timeshifted uncommon or rare. Both of these mechanics return after only showing up on the Timeshifted sheet in Time Spiral, and each is limited to a single color. Planar Chaos sees a significant expansion of the Rebel mechanic from the previous set. Posted in Making Magic In honor of the alternate reality craziness that is Planar Chaos, we've decided to have a theme week all about alternate realities. Planar Chaos was a huge challenge of a Magic set. To compensate, all the Echo cards have an impact on the board before the Echo cost is paid, through enters-the-battlefield effects on the red cards and Haste on the green cards (new to this set). The theme of the block was time. It is set on the plane of Dominaria, the first time that that plane had been visited since 8th Edition.. Each of these mechanics provides flexibility, and each of the individual cards is very powerful. The experimentation also led to other interesting color pie bleeds such as. Instead, Wizards decided to take an alternate view of the color pie, and give a lot of colors things they don't normally do. Again, there's no support for anything in Black/Green at higher rarities—, This is the actual aggressive deck, even if the roles are reversed from the usual archetype—white gets rid of small creatures with, Overall Planar Chaos is a very interesting set. What Planar Chaos decided to do was an alternate reality set, but decided to go farther than just alternate story possibilities. . account, Phylath, World Sculptor (Showcase) [Zendikar Rising], Email: [email protected]. More specifically, it gives us more rebels and more searchers, as well as powerful things to search up. Planar Chaos contains 165 all new black-bordered cards (50 rares, 55 uncommons, and 60 commons), including a 45-card "timeshifted" subset (ten rares, 15 uncommons, and 20 commons). . $3.25 Free Shipping. What Planar Chaos decided to do was an alternate reality set, but decided to go farther than just alternate story possibilities. Fantastic synergy with Kiln Fiend, and a nice card to have when you want to save your creatures from Earthquake or Pyroclasm (yours or your opponents'). All rights Reserved . Time Spiral is a Magic: The Gathering expert-level block consisting of the expansion sets Time Spiral (October 6, 2006), Planar Chaos (February 2, 2007), and Future Sight (May 4, 2007). See cards from the most recent sets and discover what players just like you are saying about them. Current slide {CURRENT_SLIDE} of {TOTAL_SLIDES}- Save on CCG Individual Cards, Current slide {CURRENT_SLIDE} of {TOTAL_SLIDES}- You may also like, {"modules":["unloadOptimization","bandwidthDetection"],"unloadOptimization":{"browsers":{"Firefox":true,"Chrome":true}},"bandwidthDetection":{"url":"https://ir.ebaystatic.com/cr/v/c1/thirtysevens.jpg","maxViews":4,"imgSize":37,"expiry":300000,"timeout":250}}. Planar Chaos set is the second set in the Time Spiral block. Twitter. Some of them were colorshifted cards, where cards were in a different color than originally printed. What Planar Chaos decided to do was an alternate reality set, but decided to go farther than just alternate story possibilities. These cards have a slight difference to normal cards with white text for the name and card type, as well as a slightly different color scheme. Your Wish Is My Commander Legends, Part 2. Share - MTG Planar Chaos Reality Acid X4 NM. While, The lack of Flash really hits the Blue/Black control deck hard—all you get on that front at common is, The Black/Red deck is conflicted. Not one alternate reality mind you, but every column this week will be exploring a different what if scenario. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. You see, I had always wondered what early Magic would had been like if Magicthegathering.com (and well I guess the internet as we know it today) was around when Magic began.