See cards from the most recent sets and discover what players just like you are saying about them. Now in Planar Chaos, you could still potentially get 3 rares, one regular, one foil (which replaces a common), and one Timeshifted (which now replaces an uncommon if its a rare). Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you gain 1 life. I tried to combat this by integrating the Stat Bar into the border itself which helps to have it integrate seamlessly into the card. Putting the card stats of planeswlakers and creatures made sense. I had to look pretty hard at Feral Invocation before I realized it was an instant, and something like that needs to be noticable immediately. Multiple supertypes: Most cards have one supertype. Browse through cards from Magic's entire history. These frames throw the color differentiation and "magicalness" of the card frame out the window entirely. Premium. $2.75. Having a symbol for generic mana helps to have this consistency as well. There's a dedicated place in the template for one supertype, and there's only enough room for one before future supertype symbols bleed into the card art. All Rights Reserved. Here’s what I came up with: While I like the idea of distinct card frames between card types, I wanted to refrain from going too far as I wanted these mockups to still feel like Magic cards (that, and I’m a big fan of consistency). Why not a dedicated area where players can gleam all they need about a card from a quick glance without need to rifle through the hand? Though there are other good candidates that could be super-types. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. Magic: The Gathering® and all associated images are copyright © I didn't think I liked these until I saw them fanned out in a hand. - or - The future arrived at the Future Sight prerelease events all across the country. Troll and Toad keeps 92% of all Magic The Gathering cards in stock at all times. Artifacts, creatures, and lands your opponents control enter the battlefield tapped. But I agreed that the differences between card colors didn't pop anymore, and I wasn't sure whether that was good or bad. Now here’s something I’m not too sold on (well, my execution of it anyway). Reader mode. So I could neatly fit in this…. Scale – Scales the texture.. I made the art bigger and made the text boxes more colourful to make up for the removed the coloured border. Article in question: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/starting-over-2015-01-26. Time Spiral Remastered will be a new way to experience the original Time Spiral block – Time Spiral, Planar Chaos and Future Sight. Time Spiral shocked us with reprints, original card frame and all, of some of Magic's great old cards. I agree completely with MaRo’s reasoning behind having a generic mana symbol, but what could it be? I think that the MSE template that uses the 8th edition frame but the old backgrounds was even better. It just isn't like magic to to be quite that self aware. Yeah which is why I said in my post there's probably a better solution, but I had to fill that space with something as it's utility for creatures and planeswalkers is too good. But traditionally, a supertype is something that changes the functionality of a card separate from that card's type, and Aura and Equipment don't fit that. We use cookies to understand how you use our site and to improve your experience. I have seen other TCGs try this idea out but most of the ones I came across really made the cards look unbalanced. Makes complete sense then. clutters up the stat bar which is meant to be easy to read. Website last updated November 12, 2020 at 06:59 AM EST. It makes it easier to get information out of the card. Singles, Packs, Boxes and Precons all available here. He brings up a good point but I think having types like fire to be a subtype of sorcery instead is a bit better (though there may be a reason against this that I’m not aware of, unless its to do with the lack of success of Tribal and Arcane). Pretty self explanatory. Magic the Gathering MTG 1x Boom // Bust x1 LP x 1 Planar Chaos. Especially if such a cube has a new frame to signify it's alternate realityness, it could end up being really cool. For the 2020 holiday season, returnable items shipped between October 1 and December 31 can be returned until January 31, 2021. Fungal Behemoth's power and toughness are each equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on creatures you control. Planar Chaos: Ophidian Eye. (Rebalanced creatures vs spells, tribal, consistant wording, etc.) It also does a good job of summarising what the card is down to its distinct parts that help as a quick reminder for experienced players, but also helps to guide new players as well by breaking the card down to its essential parts. Go to your card shop and check out card games that aren't popular - they have this type of design to them. The little swords and shields for Power/Toughness bug me and I think the artifact grey should be darker so that generic mana looks less like white mana. Lack of colored border makes the cards feel dark and samey (the lack of a Planeswalker border is especially noticeable), Extraneous information (Normal type symbol, permanent/non-permanent, etc.) Wizards of the Coast, LLC. I tried to create as many diverse mockups of cards as possible to kind of “stress-test” the new frames and I think they hold up pretty well. It would probably make sense to have distinct frames for each type here but I don’t have the time. That said, I think there are a couple things worth addressing: 2. ), Loss in character: I'm not convinced this is back, but I really do think it's worth discussing. ... One card per pack will be in the old card frame, and three of them were revealed to show what they look like: Modern Horizons 2. Since MaRo makes a solid point about helping players distinguish between permanents and non permanents this is what I put in. Plus its a nice reminder when you rifle through someones hand with a [[Duress]] or something. Thanks for reading. Maybe if I get more time in the future I can do more experimenting, but for now I hope you enjoy checking these out as much as I did making them. Here’s a TL;DR of the main things he’d change: Mana costs on the left so they can be seen when cards a fanned in hand, Mana symbols start with coloured mana first, Have a symbol in top left to visually denote card type. These cards have a slight difference to normal cards with white text for the name and card type, as well as a slightly different color scheme. Staff Post. Join us discussing news, tournaments, gameplay, deckbuilding, strategy, lore, fan art, cosplay, and more. (Although the new card frame was still fine with me.). Though if I had to guess, if you got a foil Timeshifted rare, that would be it for both your foil and your rare Timeshifted in one card like in Time Spiral. These are really well made, but I don't really care for the design. (I can't link it, I'm on mobile right now) This kind of design is the "basic bitch" of all card designs. Why remove it? Supertypes in general: What should be a supertype? Frame Offset – Moves the point relative to which the textures are projected. So what do we do about Feral Invocation? First off I’ll say that with these mockups I didn’t try to exactly replicate what MaRo suggests, I just used his thoughts as a base-line because I thought it would make for an interesting thought experiment (that and I don’t really have the time to create distinct card frames from scratch). I don't have a problem with that. Of all the redesign suggestions, I felt this was the most important. Recent threadmarks Trade Binder: Page 2. Choose one - Destroy target artifact; or target creature gets +1/+1 and gains trample until end of turn; or remove two time counters from target permanent or suspended card. Yeah, they played around with swords and shields for power and toughness in Portal. For new players, it makes it easier to distinguish between sorceries, enchantments and lands - a problem I run into sometimes when teaching Magic. So those are the main points. Reader mode. Subscribe to the Premium Deckbox account to unlock access to collection tools for the edition listings such as Add one of each card from this edition, Mass Remove, highlighted owned printings, and collection overview counts for each printing in this edition. Please sign in to leave feedback about our new site. It didn't look great then either. I am now sold on a card redesign. That creature gets +X/-X until end of turn, where X is that card's converted mana cost. Details Planar Chaos was also the first and only edition to contain color-shifted cards. I think the planeshifted frame looks better than the 8th edition frame. Choose one - Search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library; or return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand; or target creature gains flying until end of turn. Legendary? It just makes sense, if you’re trying to make a cards information available from a quick glance, putting these things in the Stat Bar is a no brainer.