- basic site functions I’ve been wanting a decent copy of Aguirre for ages – since seeing the film – which is brilliant but very disturbing – the somewhat bizarre choice of German electronica and the historical story of the conquistadors is wonderful. Contemporary musical explorer Daniel Lopatin (aka Oneohtrix Point Never) contemplated in a recent FACT interview the usage of world music to define alien landscapes in contemporary science fiction, which might go some way to explaining quite why the two sounds fit together so well, at least to listeners in 2013. A self-confessed “purist,” Fricke didn’t know who the hell she was when she got in touch to adapt a song from Popol Vuh’s Nosferatu soundtrack, and declined the offer. Produced by Klaus Schulze and released on his own Innovative Communication label back in 1981, Sie still, wisse ICH BIN is one of Popol Vuh’s more polarizing records, and marks the beginning of a period many fans choose to ignore entirely. Not a single comment (except for this one)? POPOL VUH Thanks for replying Paul. 12K likes. (HERZ AUS GLAS, 1977), Like Aguirre before it, Herz aus Glas (or Coeur de Verre, depending on which edition you have) contained very little music used in Werner Herzog’s film of the same name, or vice versa. I have loved the film Fitzcarraldo for ages as well. 3 great and uncompromising artists. Pretty nice box set. Amazing the way that vinyl has become the first choice This was no doubt aided by the inclusion of Amon Düül II’s Daniel Fichelsher, who Fricke bumped into while assisting Conny Veit with Gila’s essential 1973 album Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. After reading that Ian Curtis watched the film Stroszek by Herzog only a few hours before committing suicide, I was intrigued and didn’t know much about Werner Herzog. Happens surprisingly often…, Your email address will not be published. Complete your Popol Vuh collection. This might explain why the album is possibly the least filmic of Fricke’s collaborations with Herzog. ‘AGUIRRE I’ Popol Vuh. Of course, Fricke’s treatment is significantly less ‘dark’ and unabashadly spiritual in theme, but the similarities remain. The opening side is made up entirely of the title track, and while there’s a solid case for flipside ‘Vuh’ in its church organ-drenched, triumphant greatness, it is ‘In den Gärten Pharaos’ that sticks in my memory most vividly. The Nosferatu tracklist follows those issues, too, but cutting down Brüder des Schattens from 20 minutes to five. These come with detailed, illustrated booklets and sleeve notes by by Klaus Schulze, Werner Herzog, Gerd Augustin, Manfred Gillig-Degrave and Michael Fuchs-Gamböck. There was a beautiful yellow vinyl version released by Silver Screen a few years ago. Whilst the albums did mark a return to electronic music to some degree, the band’s adoption of contemporary techniques felt hammy and misjudged, and simply didn’t make sense in light of Fricke’s careful legacy. There is no CD box, but rather separate digipaks with the remastered audio and bonus tracks. To enjoy Prime Music, go to Your Music Library and transfer your account to Amazon.com (US). It was the second of three albums dedicated to specific holy books, and the title (translated as ‘One Hunter & Seven Hunter’) referenced a Mayan creation story. For many listeners, the polarizing record is still Popol Vuh’s finest hour, and certainly, forty-three years later, it still sounds disarmingly unique. The term ‘world music’ is forever cursed with the ability to send shivers down the spine of most self-respecting listeners, yet what Fricke and his collaborators managed here transcended any kind of awkward cultural tourism. Popol Vuh war eine experimentelle Band um Florian Fricke, die 1969 in München gegründet wurde und bis 2001 bestand. Founded in 1970 in Munich, Popol Vuh were pioneers of electronic music and progressive rock. These technologies are used for things like: ‘HÜTER DER SCHWELLE’ South America must have had a profound effect on this band -- they named themselves after the Quiche Mayan book of creation, the Popol Vuh. This soft-pack version does the trick. Find Popol Vuh bio, music, credits, awards, & streaming links on AllMusic - Experimental German band whose cosmic,… For newcomers, Hosianna Mantra’s a good place to start…. Popol Vuh. Fricke defended this in a predictably cryptic manner, saying “the special music for Coeur de Verre is Popol Vuh, but sometimes he (Herzog) needs music from Richard Wagner. Fichelsher stuck with Popol Vuh (occasionally sporadically) until 1991’s For You And Me, and proved to be Fricke’s most long-standing collaborator. Your Amazon Music account is currently associated with a different marketplace. Despite their age, these already sound good to me, on the re-released SPV ones and even the jewel case originals so I’m curious to see what the remastering brings. - helping us understand the audience ‘ICH MACH EINEM SPIEGEL – DREAM PART 49’  He sold his legendary Moog to fellow German synthesizer pioneer Klaus Schulze, and his assertion that the synthesizer covered “the entire range of human emotion” was replaced by the idea that it was instead providing shackles on his creativity. ‘Lass Los’ can be split into two distinct parts: the moody, choral first half (which compares favourably to the earlier Nosferatu soundtrack) and the tonally rich and comparatively upbeat second, which is far more indicative of Fricke’s 80s mode. It’d be nice if the LP versions got separate issues too, as 2015’s Wah Wah pressings were very limited and some go for hefty prices these days. (HOSIANNA MANTRA, 1972). The sounds themselves might be considered cheap when used in another context, but like the legendary choir organ and the Moog, Fricke finds, against all odds a way to make the unusual pallet his own. Sometimes the music played there is fantastic, sometimes I think they’re trying to empty out the shop. for all re releases and that cd is now seen as an afterthought Saying no will not stop you from seeing our ads, but it may make them less relevant or more repetitive. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Neil Young and Crazy Horse / Return to Greendale unboxed, Tangerine Dream / Pilots of Purple Twilight unboxed, Paul Weller / Wake Up The Nation 10th anniversary remix, Paul McCartney / We All Stand Together shaped picture disc, King Crimson / The Complete 1969 Recordings unboxed, Producer Chris Hughes on working with Howard Jones in the late 1980s, Roxette / Bag of Trix: Music from the Roxette Vaults, Tom Jones / The Complete Decca Studio Albums Collection, Neil Young / After The Goldrush 50th anniversary reissue, John Mayall / The First Generation 1965-1974 deluxe box set, Ich mache einen Spiegel (Dream Part 4) 8:51, Ich mache einen Spiegel (Dream Part 5) 4:36, Ich mache einen Spiegel (Dream Part 49) 7:42. (AGAPE-AGAPE, 1983). Fricke took the sound deeper into the spiritual realm on the similarly synthesizer-anchored follow up In den Gärten Pharaos (1971), but the rhythmic, quasi-religious focus signalled a move that would quickly pull him away from the wavering experimental electronic music these first two albums eventually served to inspire. Working on getting Amazon Australia on the widget, in the meantime here’s the link, LP4:     AGUIRRE (1975) – ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK FOR THE WERNER HERZOG MOVIE “AGUIRRE”, LP5/LP6: NOSFERATU (1978) – ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK FOR THE WERNER HERZOG MOVIE “NOSFERATU”, Einsjäger & Siebenjäger CD edition (digipak). It’s interesting to know that the tracks are contemplations on an impending apocalypse (much like 1976’s Letzte Tage, Letzte Natchte) yet the album title itself translates to Love-Love. - to understand how you got to our web properties March 22, 2019 by Paul Sinclairtags: 1970s, popol vuh, soundtracks, Remastered albums & Herzog soundtracks • CDs also available.