In 2012, Puffin Boats LLC was purchased by Katie and Dan Higgins so that they might reintroduce the … This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Dan and Katie then started Puffin Boats in 2013 when they bought the rights and molds for Puffin dinghies from Frankfort Boat Works, and took over production of the small, sturdy fiberglass tenders. It has excellent lateral stability. So this boat was built from the ground up to be elegant and beautiful, but it still has characteristics that make a downeast boat practical.”, Dan Higgins debuted the new Edendriver at the 2016 Maine Boats, Homes & Harbors Show. I spent 3 hours trying to assemble it in my living room and finally gave up. Laurie Schreiber has written for newspapers and magazines on the coast of Maine for more than 25 years. The excellent Puffin seats are easily configured for one or two persons - seat brackets are even pre-installed to put the bow seat extra far forward for a small child. This Puffin 50 sailed over the Mediterranean Sea, the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean. “It stopped me in my tracks,” he said during an interview at the Puffin Boats manufacturing plant in Hampden, where the crew was preparing to wrap up production on a couple of Scout boats in order to focus on the Edendriver. With Leigh Limehouse’s blessing, Scout Boats owner Stevie Potts worked with Higgins to get the tooling and plans ready for production in Maine. Higgins recalled running one of the originals in South Carolina. It is easy to assemble and at 20 pounds Puffin is light enough for almost anybody to handle. Great outing! The boat has binoculars available. The owners could not have been any nicer or helpful and their knowledge is deep. islands. On the 2 1/2 - 3 hour boat tour you'll be amazed at the beautiful rock formations on the way to the Islands , a stop to look at an old sea cave as well as a stop or two to feed some Bald Eagles. Puffin I’m an experienced bird watcher, but this tour takes the cake. I have had to leave the stems on the skin and insert the keel into them. In South Carolina, you get the really beautiful sportfishing boats with the Carolina flare. Puffin kayaks can adapt to your needs in ways that other kayaks do not. I bought The Saco by Pakboat from REI. Donelda helped me to identify a bird I saw in my binoculars with her bird guide books. It is a short trip to see puffins which is why we originally chose to go - we live in Maine and any puffin cruise near us is 4 hours or more. She was launched August 5, 1986. His wife, Leigh, promised him that she would find a production builder for his legacy boat. On the 2 1/2 - 3 hour boat tour you'll be amazed at the beautiful rock formations on the way to the Islands , a stop to look at an old sea cave as well as a stop or two to feed some Bald Eagles. Humpback Whale Almost Swallows 2 Kayakers, USCG Helicopter Rescues Kayakers From Anacapa Island, CA. This yacht "De Vrijheid" was built in 2002 with the aim of navigating around the world. I expect glass can be put in on cold days but we were out on a warm sunny day. Limehouse was diagnosed with cancer, but before he died in 2014, he built three Edendrivers for family members. The Pakboat Saco is great, three of our kayaks fit in the trunk of a compact car! PUFFIN is not a racing yacht, of course, but she does perform well under sail and her husky diesel enables you to maintain a schedule despite calms or adverse winds. Puffin® Yachts are designed by Naval Architect Olivier van Meer and built by VMG yachtbuilders based in Enkhuizen the Netherlands. This boat cruise is worth every penny! Travelodge Hotels Ltd in Cape Breton Island, Ephraim Scott Memorial Presbyterian Church, Kayaking & Canoeing in Cape Breton Island, River Rafting & Tubing in Cape Breton Island, Fishing Charters & Tours in Cape Breton Island, Nature & Wildlife Tours in Cape Breton Island, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals in Cape Breton Island, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks in Cape Breton Island, Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Cape Breton Island, Horseback Riding Tours in Cape Breton Island, Ski & Snowboard Areas in Cape Breton Island, Architectural Buildings in Cape Breton Island, Historic Walking Areas in Cape Breton Island, Monuments & Statues in Cape Breton Island, Points of Interest & Landmarks in Cape Breton Island, Churches & Cathedrals in Cape Breton Island, Nature & Wildlife Areas in Cape Breton Island, Gift & Specialty Shops in Cape Breton Island, Boat Tours & Water Sports in Cape Breton Island, Dolphin & Whale Watching in Cape Breton Island, Game & Entertainment Centers in Cape Breton Island, Classes & Workshops in Cape Breton Island, Sports Camps & Clinics in Cape Breton Island, Lessons & Workshops in Cape Breton Island, Water & Amusement Parks in Cape Breton Island, Sydney Downtown Development Association: Tickets & Tours‎, Cape Breton Highlands National Park: Tickets & Tours‎, Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site: Tickets & Tours‎, Inverness Beach Boardwalk: Tickets & Tours‎, Cape Breton Centre for Craft and Design: Tickets & Tours‎, Petersfield Provincial Park: Tickets & Tours‎, Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site.