A bundle of raw cinnamon sticks and a teaspoon of cassia cinnamon on wood. No adverse reactions have been reported at dosages of up to 6 grams daily, reports Drugs.com. Please think before you pronounce to the whole world that we should ignore our livers for the sake of cheaper. I strongly suspect it is my own privacy settings. Copyright © I can see nor smell or taste any noticeable difference in the two products. Thanks, Ray. I just thought you should know. This is the main reasons more and more consumers are switching to Ceylon Cinnamon. very interesting to think about in today’s commercial environment. Coumarin occurs naturally in a few plants, including cinnamon, but it's also synthetically produced because it helps prevent blood clots. Can you tell me what cinnamon is used in the Cinnabon rolls? I love their 4-cinnamon blend, mmmmmmmm. Nancy. It will be the most important thing for you and your family you have ever found for ever, i promise. I bit the bullet and bought both Ceylon cinnamon and cassia from Cinnamon Hill. Which is a bummer because cinnamon is one of my favorite flavors, but it doesn’t take much to have a noticeable effect on my gastric motility (while ginger can increase gastric emptying and thus counteract the cinnamon, it’s one of the few things that gives me vicious heartburn). I’m thinking maybe because of your post they got overrun. I’m okay with stale, old store cinnamon, since I tend to have an allergic reaction to the “fresher” kind. I read this post right after waking up;only to All types of cinnamon contain the active ingredient cinnamaldehyde, which accounts for 65 percent to 80 percent of the essential oil, according to Drugs.com. Research to date has focused on cassia cinnamon, however. The flavor is 1000% different then store bought. Ceylon cinnamon is considered to be the holy grail “real” cinnamon, while Cassia cinnamon has had its name dragged through the mud as “fake.” True cinnamon has a dominant, sweet, pleasant aroma and taste that can rob ones heart while cassia is pungent and has a sharp strong smell and taste. With the Internet at our fingertips, natural herbs are easily obtainable. The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment, however, reports that a person weighing 132 pounds would consume the maximum intake of coumarin recommended by the European Union by eating 3/4 to 1 teaspoon of cassia cinnamon daily. I worked out that there are approximately 22 grams of Ceylon cinnamon in the £10.00 box True cinnamon contains barely a trace of coumarin, while other types of cinnamon may have 18 to 400 times more, according to the May 2013 issue of the "Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry." A review published in September 2012 in the "Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews" concluded that the evidence was insufficient to support cinnamon as a treatment for diabetes. Not giving any notice o the cinnamon I’d given him. And educated yourself, trust your gut and live a long and happy life! They told me I had e-coli!! how do I get real cinnamon, I base in Awka Anambra state (Nigeria). The truth is, both belong the same family of plants (and even the same genus — cinnamomum). Did you know that the vast majority cinnamon you see at the supermarket is considered fake cinnamon? Yes, Penzeys is fantastic! (I know it’s less than ideal, but really *all* food packaging is. Dangers of Fake Cinnamon. Privacy Policy I am getting ten times the amount from my previous supplier who I will now return to. But I would have rather waited than have them send me old cinnamon. If it's consumed in large doses for an extended period of time, coumarin may cause or worsen liver disease. Larger amounts of cinnamon powder and oil may increase your breathing and heart rate. I am very discerning, and share the sentiments of this site. diagnosis or treatment. All types of cinnamon belong to the genus Cinnamomum, so there really isn't a "fake" cinnamon. Copyright Policy The typical dose for cinnamon supplements is 1 to 4 grams daily, according to New York University Langone Medical Center. Cheers! It did help me but not completely (took away the horrendous cramps) I looked up natural ways of curing e-coli and CINNAMON was the #1 killer of e-coli!. So I opened another one and low and behold the same thing. YOU are missing the point. I use Ceylon cinnamon already ground that my local health food store ordered in request and love it. Sadly, I can’t use very much cinnamon because both Ceylon and cassia cinnamons slow the digestive system (that’s how it can help lessen blood sugar spikes, by delaying the exit of food from the stomach) and I already have gastroparesis. Your email address will not be published. It should not be FYI, your “standard disclosures” link is broken. I esp like the incense and music idea. Learn how your comment data is processed. make sure they are organic…but how do I really know? Terms of Use the article. Especially tea gives teens a high dose of coumarin.. Maja, thank you. Regarding the “fake” vs “real” cinnamon, I grew up in a country where the real cinnamon was used and when I came to North America I had no idea that for the sake of quick buck I was sold harmful substance. , Compared to cassia cinnamon, true cinnamon is lighter in color, tastes slightly sweeter and has a more fragrant aroma. Thanks so much for this eye-opening post!! I really expected to be able to notice even a little difference for such a highly priced product. I thought I knew the difference, and now I feel that I’m back to step 1. There is speculation that they may be used as medicine the nutrients in them can be found in real food which converts to good blood.Please look up and measure your knowledge with the originator of health on this planet and you will never ever go wrong i promise. gives me an awesome feeling! Maybe it could go on a wish list for a special-occasion present? I recieved him because his provider b4 me has taken his blood sugars to a dangerous level very quickly and he needed a health conscious home to live in. They are missing the point. Price can be 10 times or more than the Chinese cinnamon. And use it up quickly..it is one of the most used spices in my kitchen. One of the greatest benefits of them, however, is that they show the need (for the discerning reader of course) for everyone to do their own thorough research on the given subject, as blogs are nothing more than a compilation of opinions and ideas of each contributor, not necessarily fact except as to how it relates to that specific individual. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry: Cassia Cinnamon as a Source of Coumarin in Cinnamon-Flavored Food and Food Supplements in the United States, New York University Langone Medical Center: Cinnamon, Phytotherapy Research: Antidiabetic Effect of Cinnamomum Cassia and Cinnamomum Zeylanicum in Vivo and in Vitro, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews: Cinnamon for Diabetes Mellitus, Annals of Family Medicine: Cinnamon Use in Type 2 Diabetes: An Updated Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis, BfR: Federal Institute for Risk Assessment: New Insights Into Coumarin Contained in Cinnamon, USDA National Nutrient Database: Spices, Cinnamon, Ground, PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION. http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyspenzeyscinnamon.html?id=GNYYTtCJ, Very informative article written with intelligence and wit. If I understand correctly, there’s a distinct difference in the thickness of Ceylon sticks which is a thinner darker bark than Saigon. Their claim is that Ceylon cinnamon is the only true cinnamon, and that Cassia (or Saigon) cinnamon is fake. Penzeys Spices is a place that I get my spices. “Foods which have been irradiated, no matter how they are grown or produced, cannot be labeled as USDA certified organic.”. I got very, very sick last year and had to go to a walk in clinic. Creamy Mexican Cheese Dip — Without Velveeta! Uneven thick bark that forms only a few layers when rolled up. Since it’s so hard to find a seller that is blunt and candid, I will either pay the big money (to me) or just use Wally World cinnamon. It is amazing, after reading this article, I tried out a few sources, real cinnamon is actually sweet!!! Some people call it a fake cinnamon. You mentioned that they are all wrapped individually. If it comes in a tin can it’s been radiated. Just some thoughts from a fellow reader. I guess I can handle the old stuff . She’s a passionate advocate for REAL FOOD — food that’s sustainable, organic, local, and traditionally-prepared according to the wisdom of our ancestors. This sounds an awful lot like a dig at another blog who wrote a blog post with the opposite name. Your email address will not be published. Thank you for sharing this informative post. read your page. Hi! Taking comments at face value can be very dangerous. Ask your doctor if it’s appropriate for you to be consuming products that contain coumarin. Just an update…Rupert is sending me some more cinnamon from the current harvest…so I will keep you posted on my results. I must be paying a very heavy price for those lovely printed boxes, as my previous delivery of organically certified Ceylon cinnamon, contained 250 grams for £13.50. AND I’m buying something obviously NOT LOCAL, so I’ve already compromised on that bit anyway…). If you're pregnant, take prescription medications or have liver disease or diabetes, talk to your physician before taking cinnamon supplements. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine (eCAM), You should click here for the full scoop from Cinnamon Hill, you can click here to buy a package of fresh cinnamon sticks & grater, author of the go-to book on nutrition for fertility, http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/ceylon-cinnamon.html, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3385612/, http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyspenzeyscinnamon.html?id=GNYYTtCJ, https://cinnamonhill.com/blog/cinnamon-coumarin-health-issue/, Olive Oil: 35 Wickedly Cool Uses For Your Home & Body. Very key points, indeed. I also purchased the oak handled grater. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM I’m just saying you need to buy from a trusted source. It had absolutely no fragrance and was brittle. Indeed, thank you for setting the record straight, great info, too bad I’m allergic to cinnamon. Thanks but your way of explaining this made determined to get the Ceylon variety, even at higher cost. Does it bother you that these are individually wrapped, in plastic and are a contributor to unnecessary waste? Thank you for the great information. After several more studies were performed, another review reported that cassia cinnamon lowered fasting blood sugar. The rigid, pale sticks (or “quills”) common in an autumn potpourri are Korintje. Which is a true cimmamon and has the least carsinageans? advertisements are served by third party advertising companies. Kristen, My husband just ordered the Original Cinnamon Lovers Starter Pack for us after I told him about reading your post on real cinnamon from Cinnamon Hill. Patricia. Thank you so much for this! Joanna, You’re absolutely right! It is. Is cinnamon safe for new? . Great article…informative and logical. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. Clearly an advertisement for one of his sponsors…. I couldn’t wait to open one–so I did. The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. Thank you!! That’s a lot of money for most of us. I am astonished at the audacity to charge so much more for what is in fact no more than I already had. I love cinnamon and thought I was doing the right thing by buying Simply Organic’s brand of ground cinnamon … but I just ordered the pack from Cinnamon Hill with a box of each type of cinnamon, a grater and a cup to store it in. thanks. I clicked just to see if you mentioned where to find that gorgeous cinnamon grater. Coumarin in cinnamon is not currently regulated in the United States.