I have a friend who makes these for Christmas and New Years for her family the traditional way and have asked her if I could watch her make them. Now those I need to try! I would love to be a fly on the wall if you were to serve these to you guests. Hi Everyone! And I’ve certainly never tried to make them. Even when they are easy like this, tamales are still something you have to plan for so it’s understandable that you’ve never made them. : ). Easy, healthy recipes with a southwestern flare. These Red Chile Chicken Tamales freeze very nicely. Fold the sides of the the husk around the mixture. . Sad to say I have never made tamales MY, but I will be in Mexico soon so I hope to at least have the opportunity to try them. I’m a well-seasoned cook with a love for New Mexico, its cuisine, its unique ingredients, and its physical beauty. Thanks Asmita! Thanks! Happy New Year my friend!!! Mmm, love tamales. Both times I’ve made them I’ve had trouble deciding when the tamale is “peeling away from the husk.” We steamed for an hour, rested ten minutes, tested, steamed another 15 minutes, tested. A flat casserole dish large enough to hold 2 dozen corn husks and hot water. I love that you share an alternative for lard. "*" See Kitchen Notes for more information or links to special ingredients. Gosh! I know what you mean Terra! I hope you give them a try. You are most welcome Tessa and thank you! Oh yes – everything is better homemade. Tamales are typically made in large batches for celebrations, holidays and special occasions in Mexican culture. And home-made is irresistible. Thanks Carolyn! I think I like making tamales like you enjoy making cakes. Your masa mixture should be the texture of a quick bread batter. MJ, these look magnificent! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! Tamales is one of the dishes I have discovered thanks to your blog and which are typical of your cuisine: delicious, extremely exotic (at least for me) and of course spicy! Have fun in Mexico!! When fresh masa is not available, you can make masa by adding water or stock to masa harina. These tamales are deliciously spicy but not so hot as to require a glass a milk as a chaser. Fold the empty half of the husk up, and tie around the middle of the tamales with one of the corn husk strips. I fell in love with tamales thanks to your Mexican cuisine book, but I’d love to taste yours! The trick I have found is when they are done steaming (1 hour to 1.25 hours), to remove the cover and the husks or whatever you used to cover the top, and allow the steam to dissipate. Red Chile Sauce -The amount of red chile sauce depends on how hot the sauce is and how hot you want the tamales to be, but this is where it becomes tricky. Thank you so much Charles! (If sauce gets too thick, stir in up to 1 cup of the remaining soaking water until you reach the desired thickness) Use this sauce for traditional To the masa add the chicken, onion, red chile sauce and cheese. We always bought them, but these look too good, so I have to try my hand at tamales soon. If the tamales are too thick, they will take longer to steam. Required fields are marked *. I’m making tamales! There’s really nothing better than a tamale right out of the steamer. Thank you MJ! I’m so glad to find this recipe, MJ. I’ve actually grown to prefer tamales made with canola oil over lard. Recipe assumes you already have the red chile, the cooked chicken and the chicken stock made. Thanks for the great recipe , Thanks Donalyn! Thanks Maureen! We used NM Dixon chile powder to make the red chile sauce and it was wonderful. I think you’d love the canola replacement. I put two on each plate. Place another dish on top to submerged the corn husks. Wow these sound amazing. I cook easy, delicious recipes for any day of the week or any Special Occasion. After an hour, remove the cover and let the tamales sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Thank you for making me travel again! (or Maseca Instant corn masa), 750 grams Lard (Fresh Lard) (you need ½ kilo of lard for every 1 kilo of Masa), 6+ Jalapeño Peppers (more or less to taste), Havarti Cheese cut into strips about ½ inch thick (1 strip per tamal), 1 Can Pickled Jalapenos (3-4 pieces per tamal). Copyright © 2020 MJ's Kitchen All Rights Reserved, New Mexico Chile Products (Cervantes Red Chile Sauce), Cara Cara Orange and Persimmon Salad | MJ's Kitchen. Like us, you’ll be making tamales year round, rather than just during the holidays. For Meat lovers, vegetarians, healthy choices, desserts and anything you can think of, you will find it here! Thanks for your feedback and comments! BTW: Lard is also used for tamales here in central California. . Our corn season is during the monsoon, so I will be looking forward to make this in july and august. If you want to make tamales for the first time, these are a good one to start with. Thanks Bill! Pingback: Cara Cara Orange and Persimmon Salad | MJ's Kitchen. These look delicious! Happy New Year MJ. I wish you lived closer as well. As an appetizer – Cut them into bite size pieces and serve with a dip such as a. Happy New Year! Thanks so much Sissi! So glad to have been able to introduce you to a new food. xx. Wish you lived closer , And a Happy New Year to you too Soni! Spread about ½ cup masa mix down the middle of a husk starting at the top edge and ending halfway down the length of the husk. Thanks again and Happy New Year!!! Hope you get a chance to make them Swathi! YAY! Fresh masa can usually be purchased at Mexican markets, especially around the holidays. Hey Sheila! The masa suppresses much of the heat from the chile, so it’s best to add more than you think you need. Take one of the smaller, thinner husks and pull lengthwise into long thin strips that will be used for tying up the tamales. One of the problems with tamales made with lard is that by the time you warm up the leftover tamales, the masa has become somewhat dry and tends to fall apart when you put a fork in it. Thanks John! Don’t you just love traveling through food! Thanks and Happy New Year! So in keeping with tradition, Bobby and I made two different types of tamales for the holidays this year – Corn, Mushroom and Green Chile and these Red Chile Chicken Tamales. Tamale is one of my favorite and I drool everytime I see one. Simmer uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Isn’t Dixon chile powder the best? We have found that the leftover tamales, even after having been frozen, are just as delicious as the freshly steamed ones in both taste and texture. It’s a great tradition with a delicious outcome. In New Mexico, making tamales is a holiday tradition where families and friends gather in the kitchen and spend the day cooking, assembling and steaming dozens upon dozen of tamales. NOTE: Mixing the masa and adding the filling can be done manually using a spatula or in a mixer with a flat beater or paddle. They are SO good!!! You really do need to try them. I think these look and sound absolutely lovely. Have a wonderful New Year! The treated corn is called hominy; therefore, sometimes you’ll see masa harina described simply as ground hominy. I wish you and your family all the best in 2014. Your homemade tamale must be so delicious! Cover and steam for an hour*. Blame it on all the tamales we’ve eaten that take the longer method of preparation. Happy New Year to you Anne!!! He He. Chicken and Cheese Tamales (Red Salsa and Green Salsa) Sandy EasyCooking. Now you have a use for them. I’ve always wanted to learn how to make tamales! Dough not stiff enough? Love the canola oil alternative! Next time we’re adding chopped roasted green chile. I like the way it is wrapped in the corn skin or whatever one calls them. Happy New Year, dear friend! Add some water to the bottom of a steamer below the steaming rack. Oh I love leftover turkey tamales! Lay the corn husks in a flat casserole dish. When my family and I make tamales, we usually double the above recipe. I remember in Tucson how I could buy a crazy amount of lard to easily. One at a time, form the tamales: Lay out one of your chosen cornhusks with the tapering end toward you. So today I'm sharing my … My colleague is married to a guy from Costa Rica and they make tamales for Christmas each year. Let me know when they’re ready and I’ll be there. Please read my About page to learn more. Thanks Debra! Thanks my friend! I’ve never made them but I’m dying to taste them! For this batch I use 2/3 cup HOT chile sauce. Love the colour of them – bet they taste amazing! We had a family tamale-making party yesterday, me being the expert after making them once at home. Lay a couple of husks flat on top of the tamales to aid in the steaming process and to prevent water from dripping into the open ends of the tamales. I bet half of them wouldn’t have any idea what they were eating. Nor do I think I’ve ever seen one! What an irresistible tamale recipe! Very important that you guys have a tamale steamer pot (you can get these at target: https://www.target.com/p/imusa-20qt-tamale-seafood-steamer-with-rack-lid/-/A-10827023?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Kitchen%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Kitchen&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9031044&gclid=CjwKCAiAuK3vBRBOEiwA1IMhuqR8MG2lmHOvzPd6hXUMvPFnYqAv1eCP1Vr-biUf-YbhdEMUyh2jNxoCvAoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds, Simple Fideo (Traditional Mexican Soup) Recipe, Vegetable Soup Recipe (Bell Peppers, Zucchini), Calabaza Dulce (Candied Squash and Sweet Potato). To really prevent this, after the rest, transfer to a plate and let cool a few more minutes out of the pot. Terrific recipe. Stir to combine. I will have to try this out soon. =) I have never heard of tamale before, completely new to this dish. Subscribe to get the scoop on all the latest juicy bits. And they’re so good! Tuesday, December 24, 2013. I guess you could use salsa, but if you do, cut back to 1 ½ cups stock when making the masa. Thanks, as always, for showing me something new to try! After adding the filling and the salsa, add more water if needed. I hope you do give these a try! I love the presentation – how they’re presented as little presents. – I would surprise every single guest! What is Masa? A steamer large enough to hold 18 tamales, A large bowl or mixer for mixing the masa and filling. I just took 2 weeks off from my blog, now to get back on. Forming the tamales. COME AND GET IT !!! I’m one of those that never makes tamales. Not sure if that delicious lard they used is here in NC…..but either way, I would rather not use it;-) Your tamales look amazing!!! Your email address will not be published. They do look like little present don’t they? Nettie. Mj, this tamale looks delicious. Another casserole dish that fits inside the larger one. . And a happy new year to you and yours as well! Wow.. . You can always order the masa harina and make them yourself. Use the cooked meat for the tamales and the chicken broth for the masa liquid. As a friend of mine said “It all comes together in the mouth anyway.” . For tamale making – it’s a much easier process, takes less time in the kitchen and the results are outstanding! Not near as dry. Sign me up to receive new recipe notifications! A tomato-based salsa could be too watery for these tamales, but since I’ve never tried it, I can’t say for sure. I’m so glad we ‘met’ and I hope you and Bobby have a very happy and healthy new year!