Your Promised Land is also crucial for helping prospects pitch your solution to colleagues after your sales meeting ends. (I have no connection to Zuora, and no relationship with anyone who currently works there. But the road to the Promised Land is, by definition, littered with obstacles, so prospects are rightly skeptical of your ability to deliver. Most importantly, you grab their attention. They may be unaware of the problem, or uncomfortable admitting they suffer from it. For example, above is the slide where Zuora talks about the structure of its customer record. Don't kick off a sales presentation by talking about your product, your headquarters locations, your investors, your clients, or anything about yourself. Here's why. 你一查字典,发现 deck只有「甲板」的意思,但同事告诉你deck就是 PPT的意思。, 没错, deck就是PPT(或者苹果的keynote),除了直接叫deck,还可以说:, 这是因为你觉得只有船上最上面那一层叫甲板(deck)。这样理解的确是没错的,狭义上确实是指最顶层。, 扑克牌也也是像deck一样叠起来,所以英语里说一副扑克牌是 a deck of cards。, 年龄大的一点的读者可能对老式幻灯机有印象,我小学的时候刚好赶上了这种幻灯机的末班车,依稀记得老师把讲义手写在透明的胶片上,然后通过这种幻灯机投影出来。, 这种胶片叫幻灯片,这就是为什么我们也把PPT叫做幻灯片的原因,英文里叫 a slide。, 当同一主题的胶片一多,也是要叠在一起,像一副扑克牌一样,所以也叫a deck of slides。, 进入了PC时代,传统的胶片幻灯片被电脑设计「演示文稿」取代,但传统的叫法deck依旧沿用下来。, 欢迎关注我的微信公众号 「史蒂芬的专栏」,主攻商务英语和职场内幕,五百强外企高级工程师,学英语可以关注我,有求职困惑也可以关注我,想知道职场内幕也也可以关注我。, 为什么会有「我有好多 deck 要写」、「一直一直写 deck」这种组合表达,应该怎样理解 deck 在这儿的意思?为什么不说 PPT、Word、fi…. There’s no better example of that than Zuora. So Tim and I met for lunch at the Amber India restaurant off San Francisco’s Market Street to review his deck. In fact, that’s the theme of virtually all the company’s marketing communications and campaigns, as well as its public vision statement: According to the ex-Zuora salesperson, this company-wide alignment around the story made him wildly successful: Just three weeks after our lunch, Tim called to say he was seeing promising changes in how prospects at large enterprises were reacting to his new deck, which we drafted together based on Zuora’s template. Zuora has a set of customer success stories that sales reps draw on, and while they’re more elaborate in the actual deck, this testimonial captures the essence: I also like this one, from an exec at NCR (a Zuora customer), which speaks more explicitly to Zuora’s stated Promised Land: What if you don’t yet have a huge number of successful customers? Salesforce Customer Secure Login Page. Also, he said the new pitch was more effective at engaging CFOs and other senior gatekeepers. enterprise software), there’s a good chance that Zuora facilitates those transactions. To bring the point home, Zuora asks the following: Of course, by this point the common thread is already well established in prospects' minds: Winners adopt the subscription service models that Zuora supports. “This,” I said, “is the greatest sales deck I have ever seen.”. The predecessor to the computer applications for making presentations was a series of photographic slides in a slide tray. UPDATE: Some current Zuora employees have connected with me after reading this.). Abandoning his naan in a puddle of curried goat, Tim grabbed pen and paper and took notes as we ran through what made the Zuora deck so effective. Our composite decking, deck railing, balusters, post caps and decking lights make it easy to extend your living space…outside. If it’s not clear by now, successful sales decks follow the same narrative structure as epic films and fairy tales. Klei Entertainment will release deck-building roguelike game Griftlands for Switch in summer 2021, the developer announced. See our, The Fascinating Narrative War Between 2 Hot…. 2009 FONTAINE VDT-1-8048AWK 48 Ft T/A Step Deck 10 ft. Upper Deck, 38 ft. Main Deck, 96 in. The last piece of the pitch, then, is the best evidence you can offer that you can make the story you’re telling come true. All rights reserved. Why is a PowerPoint presentation called a deck. However, we ask that you follow a simple set of guidelines: Gematsu reserves the right to edit or delete any comments without notice. Watch a trailer for the Switch version below. Griftlands first launched in Early Access for PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store on June 14. This comment policy is subject to change at any time. Try for Free After loading up on the all-you-can-eat buffet, I asked Tim, “At what point do prospects tune out?”. But when you highlight a shift in the world, you get prospects to open up about how that shift affects them, how it scares them, and where they see opportunities. If you pay for anything on a recurring basis (e.g. © Copyright Gematsu, Inc. 2008-2020. This website uses cookies to improve service and provide tailored ads. Here is an overview of the game, via its store pages: Griftlands is a deck-building roguelike where you fight and negotiate your way through a broken-down sci-fi world. In other words, you have to show both of the following: Zuora neatly accomplishes this by documenting a “mass extinction” among Fortune 500 companies…, …and then showing how the “winners” have shifted from product ownership to subscription services. However, I found slides on Zuora’s website and SlideShare channel that exhibit nearly the same narrative flow; all of the images below come from those public sources.).