Now she lives alone in the wilderness, Claims of ‘massive ballot counting abuse,’ examined. Republicans and the Trump campaign allege voting irregularities as world leaders congratulate Joe Biden on presidential win. Kamala Harris’ achievement was built on the shoulders of those who came before, ‘It’s all God’: The story of faith behind this Utah man and his sweet potato pies, Jordan District moves 14 schools online due to high absenteeism, uptick in COVID-19 cases. Note: The Discovery Channel’s “River of No Return” will premiere on Oct. 6 during the 8 p.m. episode of “Alaska: The Last Frontier” and airs Sundays nights. After her freshman year, she spent the summer working on a cattle ranch in Salmon, Idaho. Barton has lived in this secluded wilderness — a vast 2.3 million acres — for five years now. It earns its name “The River of No Return” for its wilderness shrouded, roadless section which spans a massive piece of country between the outposts of Salmon and Riggins Idaho.This stretch once nearly 200 miles in length with canyon depths upwards of 5,000 feet was and in some regards still is, a one way street.Pioneers managed to assemble watercraft to navigate the waters but once they passed into the canyon no way back to the start existed.Massive “sweep” boats served as the early supply line into the c… Her latest responsibility here is overseeing an 82-acre homestead, where she tends to animals and takes care of the land. The 900-mile Idaho Centennial Trail crosses the Salmon River at the Ferry via an historic suspension bridge used by hikers and pack strings of horses, mules, and occasional llamas. She went to Ogden High School and did a year at Weber State University, where she ran track and field for the 2013-14 season. “This is a man’s world, and a lot of people have told me I can’t do it. Barton then loads the supplies onto her horses and hikes 4 miles to her ranch. 4 talking about this. That to me seems more realistic, especially for my skill set.”. A large 1930s barn houses a maintenance shop and storage for equipment, tools, and supplies. Shepp Ranch is a bonded and Insured Idaho Outfitter with over fifty years of experience. Here are the 7 songs. ft.), with modern conveniences and wonderful views of the homestead and surrounding mountains, features a bedroom, bathroom, and living/kitchen area. They couldn’t even wrap their minds around it,” Barton said. “When they realized how far out I am out here, I mean, my mom and dad, they got really nervous. “But I’m hoping to provide a sanctuary for them to come visit.”. To learn more or opt-out, read our Cookie Policy. “But I think I’d be more interested in getting a certificate for a trade. Starting Oct. 6, Barton and the handful of homesteaders who live in the Frank Church Wilderness year-round will be featured on the Discovery Channel’s new series, “River of No Return.” Instead of being a “silly Hollywood drama,” Barton said the show offers a genuine glimpse into backcountry life. Shepp is a perfect place for a family guest ranch vacation, and is also a world class Idaho outfitter with exceptional hunting and steelhead fishing adventures. The Salmon River Mountains, located south of the Main Salmon and west of the Middle Fork, are the most massive range, and dominate the Wilderness. Starting Oct. 6, Ogden native Aubrey Barton, 24, and the handful of homesteaders who live in the vast Frank Church Wilderness year-round will be featured on the Discovery Channel’s new series, "River of No Return." Song number "River Of No Return" from Marilyn Monroe's 22nd movie "River Of No Return" 1954 But above all, the greatest challenge is proving she belongs. The 1905 Cook Cabin (1,445± sq. River of No Return 03:37 Within the 2.3 million acres of secluded wilderness lives a small community dependent on the pilots, boat captains and each other to survive. SALT LAKE CITY — For 24-year-old Aubrey Barton, the Salmon River is a highway. “I’m making a name for myself as a female in the backcountry,” she said. Summer visitors stopping at the ranch during multiday float trips on the Salmon River enjoy national park-quality interpretive signage, a small museum, and history talks by the Ferry’s caretakers. Starting Oct. 6, Ogden native Aubrey Barton, 24, and the handful of homesteaders who live in the vast Frank Church Wilderness year-round will be featured on the Discovery Channel’s new series, “River of No Return.”. We take pride in our excellent food and great accommodations. The ranch’s remarkable historical narrative is matched only by its extraordinary natural setting. The river is her lifeline. The ranch is part of a weekly airmail route from McCall, and the same bush pilot contracts delivery of food, fuel, and supplies. In 2007, the Ferry was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. With no road access, the adventure begins when you jetboat up the river to the Ranch. The titular river unites a farmer recently released from prison, his young son, and an ambitious saloon singer. "The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City" is heading to BravoTV this week. ‘Wilson is legit’: BYU quarterback earns more national praise. McAdams still behind Owens in Utah’s 4th District race. Utah’s only Democrat in Congress, Rep. Ben McAdams, continued to trail his Republican challenger, Burgess Owens, in the 4th Congressional District after Salt Lake County released the latest ballot count Wednesday. © 2020 Shepp Ranch Idaho. The challenges of backcountry life in the Frank Church Wilderness are on full display in River of No Return. But above the shores of the river, another magnificent Idaho Wilderness resides: The Gospel Hump Wilderness. All Rights Reserved, She ran track at a Utah college. "I don’t know if an entire whole team has joined us before in the years that I’ve been here. “I didn’t want to go back to school, and I don’t know, I heard a job came up and I just jumped at it. Barton is self-sufficient, but she does have the help of other homesteaders in her community — including her boyfriend, Pete, who will also be on the Discovery Channel show. But they haven’t seen each other for a couple of months since a 9-mile trail separates them, and in the wintertime, it takes 12 hours of snowshoeing to get to his ranch. Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness, ID. She’ll have to hike a ways and raft across the river to see that. Ready to save favorites, view magazines and more? Sign up for the There are many ways to repurpose your old one, New ‘Star Wars’ book confirms Yoda knew R2D2 in ‘Empire Strikes Back’, Lucasfilm defends controversial Baby Yoda moment from ‘The Mandalorian’, Utah’s viral father-daughter duo is releasing a Christmas album. Campbell’s Ferry Ranch (or simply the “Ferry”) is an historic 85± acre wilderness homestead located on Idaho’s “wild and scenic” Salmon River deep in the heart of the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness Area 55 air miles from McCall, Idaho. Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. The ranch is perched on a broad terrace above the Salmon surrounded by millions of acres of pristine backcountry. His stock has never been higher. Copyright © 2020 Deseret News Publishing Company. The surrounding Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness is the largest forested wilderness area in the lower 48. Any outside supplies have to brave the river’s class 5 rapids via jet boat. Barton also has limited internet access in her cabin — enough to use Facebook and pull up a YouTube tutorial on soldering, but not enough to watch the premiere of the Discovery Channel show. Shepp Ranch has a long history of providing quality Idaho guest ranch vacations. It’s the perfect mix of heaven and hell living out here,” she said. The story behind BYU and Boise State football players joining hands to pray after their game. Living quarters consist of two separate cabins. There have been countless challenges during Barton’s five years in the Frank Church Wilderness: She almost lost a hand while baling hay, and she’s gotten lost in a blizzard. Farm & Ranch Publishing, LLC28615 I-10 W, Boerne, Texas 78006, Email: [email protected]: 800-580-7330. During that time, her mail gets “airdropped” — and we’re not talking about the iPhone feature. “I don’t know if this is really a good career path for anyone. ‘The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City’ might not be your cup of Swig. newsletter, This University of Utah football assistant coach’s wife is on ‘The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City’, Getting a new phone for Christmas? She grew up in Ogden, the second-oldest of six kids. Convenient fly-in access to the Ferry is made possible by the property’s 800± foot private airstrip. Our success is best measured by the fact that many of our clients are repeat guests. ATV along … With no road access, the adventure begins when you jetboat up the river to the Ranch. “They throw it out of the airplane, but I’m not getting Amazon packages or anything,” Barton joked during her first media interview, using a satellite phone to chat with the Deseret News from her 110-year-old trapper cabin. “They just kind of had to keep up because there’s a lot to do around here,” she said with a laugh. From the trailhead at roads-end, it is a spectacular four-mile hike or horseback ride to the ranch following the river. This country is steep and rugged, with nearly a dozen mountain peaks ranging from 6,700 to 8,300 feet, making it ideal habitat for big game. With Robert Mitchum, Marilyn Monroe, Rory Calhoun, Tommy Rettig. A couple of producers lived with her for a month during the spring, following her around and filming her as she bounced back from the harsh winter. But I am going to make this last as long as I can.”. The more contemporary Crowe Cabin (512± sq. “We might as well live in different states, really,” Barton said, adding that the two mostly communicate via email and backcountry radio. And when the river freezes, she’ll be snowed in for three or four months. Two of those years have been in the remote cabin. Access is also via the Salmon River by float or jet boat. The show might not be your cup of Swig, but it’s definitely worth sugary bits. Spring blossoms from the producing apple, pear, peach, cherry, plum, walnut, and apricot trees accent the orchard. That means a lot," said Boise State star Avery Williams. The Frank Church-River of No Return is a wilderness of steep, rugged mountains, deep canyons, and wild, whitewater rivers. The Salmon River, a federally designated Wild and Scenic River and one of the longest free-flowing, undammed rivers in the country, is a wilderness, whitewater, wildlife, and fishing enthusiast’s dream.