That’s just straight-up improper etiquette if you’re asking me. He is best known for his work on Image Comics' series The Walking Dead and Invincible. Between 2004-2010, Robert Kirkman worked at Marvel writing comics such as Marvel Zombies and The Irredeemable Ant-Man. Kirkman's first comic book work was self published, through the publisher Funk-O-Tron. I think he was a fantastic editor, I loved working with him. The guy is clearly a creative genius so it is irksome to learn about his negative experiences at Marvel. While pitching a new series that would be titled Science Dog, Kirkman and artist Cory Walker were hired to do a SuperPatriot miniseries for Image Comics. During an interview with ComicTropes, Kirkman recalls that he was “treated like crap” at Marvel, and was simply “not a good fit” at the company. Between 2004-2010, Robert Kirkman worked at Marvel writing comics such as Marvel Zombies and The Irredeemable Ant-Man.But it was while writing for … I don’t understand. Marvel; Max; Image; Skybound; Shadowline; Top Cow; Joe's Comics; Arcana Studio; MVCreations; Funk-O-Tron, Richmond , Kentucky , United States of America. The Russo Brothers on doing Captain America’s time travel story, Evan Rachel Wood (Dolores) on her Westworld future: “I want to come back”, The Russo Brothers on doing Captain America's time travel story, Scarlett Johansson is back in black as Marvel's superspy 'Black Widow', Wonder Woman 1984 director talks Amazon Olympics, potential threequel, and spinoffs, Avengers: Endgame director wanted Wolverine from X-Men in the final battle, Tessa Thompson excited to "push the bounds" of diversity in the MCU. And that’s the other thing: I was completely realistic about my stature — or lack thereof — at Marvel while I was there. Take your favorite fandoms with you and never miss a beat. 1 Personal History 2 Work History 3 Images Attributed to Robert Kirkman (Earth-1218) 4 Notes 5 Trivia 6 See Also 7 Official Website 8 Links and References 8.1 Footnotes Robert Kirkman is an American comic book writer. They read that as arrogance. Because some of my books were lower tier books, and there’s a marketing budget. His work for that publisher has included work on a new Sleepwalker series that was cancelled before being published, the first issue eventually included in Epic Anthology #1 (2004). While working on that book, a pitch was made by Kirkman and co-creator E.J. These two series have met with critical and commercial success, with Kirkman's work on Invincible especially opening the door to more mainstream super-hero work at Marvel Comics. I don’t know why you guys just wouldn’t let me do this.’. Kirkman's first comic book work was self published, through the publisher Funk-O-Tron. Or I don’t know, God forbid, letting me do the word balloon? Shortly after the launch of Invincible Kirkman and Tony Moore began The Walking Dead (2003), an ongoing series set in a world inspired by George A. Romero's zombie movies. But alls well that ends well because in July 2008, Kirkman left Marvel and became a partner at Image Comics. And to think, Robert Kirkman had already created The Walking Dead comics which would forever change the way we’d associate and think of zombies. Marvel.com is the source for Marvel comics, digital comics, comic strips, and more featuring Iron Man, Spider-Man, Hulk, X-Men and all your favorite superheroes. Su for a new ongoing monthly series named Tech Jacket (2002). Kirkman butted heads with Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada, and from the sound of it, was quite the tumultuous experience, to say the least. Yikes, that doesn’t too pleasant now, does it? Robert Kirkman is an American comic book writer best known for co-creating The Walking Dead, Invincible, Tech Jacket, Outcast and Oblivion Song for Image Comics, in addition to writing Ultimate X-Men, Irredeemable Ant-Man and Marvel Zombies for Marvel Comics. It’s always jarring to hear about the inner workings of big brand companies, and the individual experiences of those that work there. Your privacy is safe with us. He is one of the five partners of Image Comics, and the only one of the five who was not one of its co-founders. I mean, I have a great relationship with [Marvel’s Executive Editor and Senior Vice President of Publishing] Tom Brevoort. I’m not a comic book writer, but I’d imagine that after all that work, you’d like people to run any edits by you. Amazing Fantasy #15 (Spider-Man's First Appearance), Tales of Suspense #39 (Iron Man's First Appearance), Incredible Hulk #181 (Wolverine's First Appearance), Gallery of Robert Kirkman (Earth-1218)'s pictures, Image Comics' Robert Kirkman Messageboard, The Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators, Buy My Books (a column by Robert Kirkman), https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Robert_Kirkman_(Earth-1218)?oldid=5497663. He has also collaborated with Image Comics co-founder Todd McFarlane on the series Haunt. Look, the fact of the matter is, I was a self-publisher who had gone to work at Image, and Image is a very free environment. The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman is not holding back in the slightest bit when it comes to talking about his experience while working at Marvel. NEW YORK, NY - OCTOBER 06: Robert Kirkman speaks onstage during The Walking Dead panel during New York Comic Con at The Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden on October 6, 2018 in New York City. Between creative differences and the disregard for his talents in the company, it comes as no shocker that Robert Kirkman looks back at his time with Marvel with distaste and disappointment. The story surrounded the adolescent son of the world's most powerful superhero, who develops super-powers and starts his own career as a super-hero. It’s a shame to hear about Robert Kirkman’s turbulent relationship with Marvel, especially given the value he brought as a comic book writer. In 2003, at the request of Image Comics, Kirkman and SuperPatriot artist Cory Walker created Invincible for a new "superhero" line. In February, 2005 Paramount Pictures announced that they have bought the rights to produce an Invincible feature film, and that they have hired Kirkman to write the screenplay. Get HBO, Starz, Showtime and MORE for FREE with a no-risk, 7-day free trial of Amazon Channels. You want me to just do these books and not try to sell them? Robert Kirkman's first comic book work was Battle Pope (2000), a superhero parody co-created with artist Tony Moore and self-published under the Funk-O-Tron label. Like, ‘I’m better than them and I can do this.’ No, it’s just I care about the books, more than a lot of writers care about the books, I care about all aspects of the books. [citation needed] Later, while pitching a new series, Science Dog, Kirkman and artist Cory Walker were hired to do a SuperPatriot miniseries for Image Comics. If you’ve done self-publishing, Image is the very best place to be because you’re capable of doing everything. Moore continued to do covers for the book, however, and eventually became one of the most popular cover artists in comics, even being nominated for an Eisner Award. Like, ‘This is a bad looking word balloon, I don’t like this dialogue, I would have taken my time to do this right. This was circa 2006-2008, in the days before Marvel was a part of the Disney family. I’d be like, ‘Why would you put a word balloon on the cover of my book without telling me or running it by me or letting me write the dialogue? The guy had already created The Walking Dead, so clearly he had a lot to offer to the table. Su created the 2002 Image series Tech Jacket, which ran six issues. So then I go to Marvel, I’m like, ‘I can do all this stuff, I’m willing to handle all this stuff, I’m willing to help out.’ And it just was not a good fit. And the rest is history–The Walking Dead history, that is. Robert Kirkman is an American comic book writer. He is best known for his work on Image Comics' series The Walking Dead and Invincible. Joe Quesada and I do not get along. It was very restrictive. (Photo by Andrew Toth/Getty Images for New York Comic Con). He soon became a mainstay at Marvel, writing, amongst others, Captain America Vol.4 #29-32 (2004), Marvel Knights: 2099 (2004), Jubilee #1-6 (2004), Marvel Team-Up Vol.3 (2005), Fantastic Four: Foes #1-6 (2005), Marvel Zombies #1-5 (2005-2006) and Ultimate X-Men starting with issue #66. There were a lot of things that I got blamed for that didn’t really happen, and I would explain, ‘That’s not what I meant by that, what are you talking about?’ And then they’d get more mad at me. [citation needed] While working on that book, Kirkman and E.J. Images Attributed to Robert Kirkman (Earth-1218). Moore, struggling to keep deadlines on interior art was replaced by Charlie Adlard, beginning with issue #7. It only makes sense to market the books that are going to make revenue as opposed to the books that are not going to make a lot of revenue. Not many are eager to share the negative experiences, but Robert Kirkman has no qualms about it. This series was Battle Pope (2000) produced with artist Tony Moore, an intentionally offensive super-hero parody. To stay up to date on everything fantasy, science fiction, and WiC, follow our all-encompassing Facebook page and sign up for our exclusive newsletter. Marvel Database is a FANDOM Comics Community. [citation needed] In 2003, Kirkman and Walker created Invincible for I… But it was while writing for Ultimate X-Men that he recalls a particularly unpleasant experience. The pitch was accepted by Image, but was canceled after only 6 issues, due to low sales. Walker would later fail to meet the grueling deadlines of a monthly title and was later replaced by Ryan Ottley. Your favorite teams, topics, and players all on your favorite mobile devices. The meddling in Kirkman’s work at Marvel extended to even changing things without running it by him or getting his permission. Robert Kirkman | Marvel Robert Kirkman… Robert Kirkman Our Reality (Earth-1218 ) Robert Kirkman Prime Marvel Universe (Earth-616 ) And if his experience was truly that bad, he shouldn’t have to hold back. It got to the point where they wouldn’t promote some of my books. Build your custom WiC Daily email newsletter with news and analysis on Game of Thrones and all your favorite sports teams, TV shows, and more. We'll never pass along your email address to spammers, scammers, or the like. Powered by Minute Media © 2020 All Rights Reserved.