There are some really cool photos on the "Parks Mountain Safety" facebook page from the avy control activities earlier in the week (there were closures then too): https://www.facebook.com/ParksMountainSafety, This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Some of the worst winter conditions I've ever driven have been through there. If driving conditions are poor, wait it out. Create a Trip to save and organize all of your travel ideas, and see them on a map. And thanks so much ! New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the Backcountry community, Press J to jump to the feed. Be the first to know about all the adventures at The Full-Time Tourist! Last month while shooting for ‘Finding The Line’, we visited Rogers Pass, accompanied by Greg, and after driving through these mountains countless times in my ski life, it was a thrill to finally top out on one of the summits and look around at the untamed mountains, for which the area is renowned. It’s insane! Check the weather forecast and driving conditions before you hit the road. But don’t rule it out entirely! May also do a detour from revelstoke to Nelson/Rossland on the way to kicking horse. And make sure your vehicle has winter tires during the winter months before driving through the Canadian Rockies. Tow trucks won’t arrive until morning. When I have the time, I like to stop at the pass and take a half hour to walkski the dog and regain my patience before driving down. Lush green, yellow and red, or snow-topped trees adorn the rock as you twist and turn through the mountain roads. To keep the transportation corridor safe, Parks Canada and the Canadian Armed Forces work in partnership to run the world’s largest mobile avalanche control program. First of all, the main highways and roads will be cleared of snow and salted before any other road. Rogers Pass Hwy 1, near Parks Headquarters at Glacier National Park, 72 km east of Revelstoke, looking east. Rogers Pass is found in Glacier National Park, in between Golden and Revelstoke, BC. Driving through the Canadian Rockies is a huge bucket list item for most people when they come visit the Great White North! I go, A post shared by Gluten-free & Vegan Eco Travel (@thefulltimetourist), 5 Australian Road Trip Itineraries You Need To Go On Now, How Going Zero Waste Can Help You Save Money For Travel, Get Your Dose of Vitamin Sea This Weekend In Byron Bay. (Plus it may be your last chance for a bathroom break before you’re debating pulling off to the side of the highway!). First of all, day light hours are shorter. Thanks so much Samah! I would love to do a road trip through the Canadian Rockies, the scenery and the landscapes are fantastic! While you will pass through three incredible national parks– Banff, Glacier, and … Once you climb the stairs and pass the trail signs, you'll hit a well-traveled, single-track dirt trail. Did I miss a crucial tip that you learned or want to learn about driving through the Canadian Rockies? Take your breaks and make sure you’re able to drive while the sun is still up! I’m so glad the post helped you!! And I can imagine it’s definitely similar to driving through rural Australia– except no windy mountain roads and looking out for different wildlife . Glacier Mountaineer Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, Palliser Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, Travelodge By Wyndham Golden Sportsman Lodge. Go Play. Gas. var wpaLayer = new google.maps.KmlLayer({ For everyone else, I’d agree with the don’t drive at night comment! Restricted parking lots open or close daily depending on avalanche control work. Great list! This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. I’ve only been to Toronto, but would love to see the real Canada like the Rockies. Sometimes they charge astronomical prices for gas. You’ll have to check for snow fall, hail, freezing rain, avalanches, temperatures dancing around the 0°C (because of the possibility of icy roads), fires, and rock slides. Tank. It could be nice, it could be icy with a foot of snow. The pass is adjacent to Helena National Forest and is traversed by Montana Highway 200, providing the shortest route between the cities of Great Falls and Missoula, Montana. If you enjoyed this post, please share it using the button below! Places to see, ways to wander, and signature experiences. Is it easy to drive around in the Rockies ? Alerts. However I don’t drive much in my country .