). (Photo Tour). From there, our views of the Scapegoat, the Front, and the prairie were outstanding. From there it’s a 1.5-mile walk up to the pass. As the CDT turned me northward, I could see that strong winds had cleared the snow off many portions of the trail. Map of the Rogers Pass area. During the hike we ascended 3,268 ft. and descended 3,817 ft. – with much of the elevation change coming at the beginning and end of the hike (see link to interactive graphic below). On the Continental Divide Trail. Small bites. Courtesy of the CDT Society. ( Log Out /  Order Online Tickets Tickets See Availability Directions {{::location.tagLine.value.text}} Sponsored Topics. I did the hike during the summer several years ago, but wasn’t sure I could make it that far on snowshoes – You never know what type of snow conditions you are going to encounter in the high country. Zoom out to see the Rogers to Flesher section. ( Log Out /  The Pacific Crest Trail and the Appalachian Trail are the other two. Although the snow was fairly deep in places, the surface was so hard that I didn’t sink in. All this data is telemetered to a central location and appears on the appropriate web page in real time. Unfortunately, the same wind that created these favorable conditions was my constant companion, varying from 10-30 mph throughout the day. ( Log Out /  It’s a wind thing. *Anaconda Hill would be a good destination for this out and back hike – You will find a good description of this hike (and many others) in 100 Classic Hikes: Montana, a new guide book by Douglas Lorain. ( Log Out /  Earlier this month a storm dumped over a foot of snow on that part of the CDT, so it looked like my Flesher to Rogers hike might have to wait until next summer. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Rogers Pass Rogers Pass is a mountain pass that rises 5,610 feet above sea level and is located on the Continental Divide in the U.S. state of Montana.The pass is adjacent to Helena National Forest and is traversed by Montana Highway 200, providing the shortest route between the cities of Great Falls and Missoula, Montana. However, I’ve spent more time hiking and snow-shoeing on the sections a little farther north, around Stemple and Flesher Passes. The significance of Lewis & Clark Pass is that this is where part of the Corps of Discovery crossed over as they returned from the Pacific in July of 1806. But the Sun was shining and the forecast called for reasonable temperatures, so it was a good day to give it a go. Photo Tour of our hike from Flesher Pass to Rogers Pass. A second look. By the time it's reached Roger's Pass it has achieved an elevation of well over a mile. Black Elk Peak: High Point in South Dakota, Peak-Bagging in the Little Rockies: Mission Peak & Indian Peak, Headquarters Pass to Our Lake Traverse west of Choteau, St. Mary Peak and Trapper Peak in the Bitterroots, Sacajawea – High Point in the Bridger Mountains, Nordic Skating on the Mighty Mo near Helena, East & West St. Marys Peaks on the Flathead Reservation, Ice Cave in the Big Snowies south of Lewistown, Floral Park Traverse in Glacier Park: Logan Pass to Lake McDonald, Hike through the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington, Crown Mountain on the Rocky Mountain Front, Peakbagging in the Sweetgrass Hills northeast of Shelby. Reviews. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. From the main RWIS page one may select the image or the data page for each of the 73 cameras. However, nine consecutive days of warm sunny weather took care of the early season snow. It was a very windy at times, but we were dressed appropriately, and the views more than made up for it. Below: This map marks hikes that have been featured on bigskywalker.com so far, including several in Glacier Park – Select full screen to expand, zoom in for more detail, or click on a marker for a link to the post. Historical Weather. So, this past Wednesday (10/24/18) my daughter (Amy) and I made the 37-mile drive to Flesher Pass, and then hiked the CDT for 13.5 miles to Rogers Pass where my wife (Mardi) picked us up that afternoon (52-mile drive from Helena). But, if you can’t make arrangements to be picked up, I recommend an out and back hike from Rogers Pass*. Walking on the surface of of hard snow is easy, but when you’re sinking 2-3 feet into the soft stuff, every step is a struggle. RWIS cameras are mounted on a tall steel truss tower adjacent to the roadway along with sensors that measure Air Temperature, Road Air Temperature, Dew Point, Relative Humidity, Wind Speed and Direction, Wind Gusts, Precipitation Intensity, Precipitation Rate, and Precipitation Accumulation. The snowshoes were especially helpful as I walked up and down higher points along the trail. . To learn more about Lewis & Clark Pass, take the photo tour – and be sure to read the captions. (Photo Tour), Walk the line . ( Log Out /  Get directions, reviews and information for Rogers Pass in , MT. Considering the huge amount of snow that has accumulated in our back yard (Helena), I wasn’t optimistic as I drove to Rogers Pass Sunday morning (3/10/19). as long as I kept moving. We started at 9 am and finished at 4 pm. The Continental Divide Trail (CDT) is one of three long trails that run the length of the USA from south to north. I highly recommend it. . Seven of the RWIS sites are data only and one has a camera only, while the rest have both a camera and data sensors. There is also a MAP Page, which allows one to see a thumbnail image and the weather data from any of the RWIS sites by clicking on its icon on the map. I removed my snowshoes for a couple of those barren stretches, but spent much of the day snowshoeing on hard, drifted snow several feet east of the divide. Rogers Pass MT. Grew up in Harlem (MT), married (Mardi), 4 grown children, retired - taught high school science 37 yrs (Helena High Earth Science 1994-2019), enjoy hiking, peak-bagging, trail-running, snow-shoeing, and kayaking. I didn’t quite make it to Lewis & Clark Pass. Someone had been on the trail earlier in the week, so the first mile of switch-backs up to the Continental Divide was lightly packed – perfect for snowshoeing. Below: This map marks hikes that have been featured on bigskywalker.com so far, including several in Glacier Park – Select full screen to expand, zoom in for more detail, or click on a marker for a link to the post. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. . For an extra 3-4 miles, turn right and follow the CDT to the summit of Green Mountain or turn left to climb Red Mountain a couple miles to the north. Grew up in Harlem (MT), married (Mardi), 4 grown children, retired - taught high school science 37 yrs (Helena High Earth Science 1994-2019), enjoy hiking, peak-bagging, trail-running, snow-shoeing, and kayaking. Zoom in or out, scroll, drag, etc. Hike along the CDT from Flesher Pass to Rogers Pass. It was all good, but my favorite section was a 5-mile stretch that started six miles into our walk, and ended where we started switch-backing down to Rogers Pass. More about the return trip in 1806. Roger's Pass South Web Camera - Lincoln, MT - Web Cameras on Waymarking.com, Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point. Once on the ridge, snow conditions changed – But they were still decent. This past August I followed the CDT from Flesher Pass to Roger’s Pass for the first time. Lewis & Clark in Montana. View all posts by bigskywalker. on the CDT – Big Sky Walker, Peak-Bagging in the Little Rockies: Mission Peak & Indian Peak, Headquarters Pass to Our Lake Traverse west of Choteau, St. Mary Peak and Trapper Peak in the Bitterroots, Sacajawea – High Point in the Bridger Mountains, Nordic Skating on the Mighty Mo near Helena, East & West St. Marys Peaks on the Flathead Reservation, Ice Cave in the Big Snowies south of Lewistown, Floral Park Traverse in Glacier Park: Logan Pass to Lake McDonald, Hike through the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington, Crown Mountain on the Rocky Mountain Front, Peakbagging in the Sweetgrass Hills northeast of Shelby. View all posts by bigskywalker. Clark’s group set out to explore what is now southern Montana, while Lewis took nine men to investigate this short cut over the mountains and then explore north-central Montana. No wheels? Walking the Line – March 10, 2019. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. The nearest weather station for both precipitation and temperature measurements is ROGERS PASS 9 which is approximately 8 miles away and has an elevation of 4,200 feet (1,430 feet lower than Rogers Pass). What a difference clear skies make! Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Old Indian trick. Copyright (c) 2020 Groundspeak, Inc. All Rights Reserved. My blog post from October 2018. However, a much easier way to access Lewis & Clark Pass is by way of a 1.5-mile hike that starts from Alice Creek Road west of the pass. Menu & Reservations Make Reservations . Legal. I parked at Rogers Pass, climbed a wall of plowed snow along the north side of the highway, strapped on my snowshoes, and started hiking at 8:30 am. for 2 miles up to that big open area we liked so much. To see my blog, go to bigskywalker.com. The section of the CDT from Flesher Pass to Rogers Pass never strays very far from the actual Continental Divide (dashed line). ( Log Out /  After 6.3 miles of hiking, I reached the summit of Green Mountain – high point on this section of the CDT, and a nice vantage point for admiring the pass. Starting at Highway 200, follow the trail (long switch-backs!) I like to have a hot shower and sleep in a real bed after a long hike, so for now I’m content to enjoy small sections of the CDT close to home. The single camera here is looking southwest in the Missoula direction. Hike as far south as you want, take a break for lunch, walk back to Rogers Pass, drive home, take a hot shower, and sleep in a real bed – My kinda day. A section to remember. Shows elevation profile – We did it in the opposite direction. By the time it's reached Roger's Pass it has achieved an elevation of well over a mile. This section of the CDT stays very close to the wind-swept Continental Divide. Change ). or not. Below are weather averages from 1971 to 2000 according to data gathered from the nearest official weather station. McCann Butte and Beyond in Northcentral Montana, Trout Creek Canyon with the HHS Outdoors Club, Rogers Pass to Green Mtn. One of 73 highway cameras, this is part of Montana's Road Weather Information System (RWIS) which provides not only visual assessments of highways and travel conditions, but meteorological information. From Helena, the closest access to the CDT is at MacDonald Pass, only 15 miles west of town. This section stays fairly close to the actual Continental Divide as it passes through big open areas that would normally provide outstanding views of the Rocky Mountain Front and the Scapegoat Wilderness. The nearest town to this camera is Lincoln, nearly 20 miles to the west.