Theywon't know more until the swelling goes down, but it is encouraging news for Shazier. The Steelers had to battle back Sunday night to clinch their third AFC North title in four seasons. The Steelers updated Shazier’s status throughout the day: Statement by #Steelers GM/VP Kevin Colbert on LB Ryan Shazier pic.twitter.com/WEp6wktNCu, Joint statement from Dr. David Okonkwo (UPMC) & Dr. Joseph Cheng (UCMC) on #Steelers LB Ryan Shazier. Up to 15 Steelers players got customized Shazier cleats for Sunday’s Ravens game, according to artist Corey Pane, who works closely with Antonio Brown. He later required spinal stabilization surgery back in 2017 and had to re-learn how to walk. pic.twitter.com/CPiizgvSbA. There's no telling, but Gene Collier of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote this after the 45-42 setback: "With Shazier in the lineup, the Steelers allowed two 100-yard rushers through 12 games. #ProBowl #SHALIEVE pic.twitter.com/IqHsVEdER9, Ben thanks for letting me be out there with you guys today!!! I’ve had a lot of 1st downs at UPMC, but you know being the defensive guy I am, my mind is on 3 and out. “I’ve been working my tail off every day and I have that in the back of my mind every day I go to rehab.”. Shazier attended an NCAA tournament game in Pittsburgh. Thank you for being there from day 1 and every day after continuing to push me to be better every day. Roethlisberger and the other eight Steelers in Orlando for the game wore black “Shalieve” T-shirts under their jerseys. "I still want to make the Hall of Fame, still want to be the best linebacker in the NFL," he said. "There is no ceiling in Ryan's recovery. A dramatic week got even more so the next day, when a tornado hit his parents’ home, but everyone is OK. A tornado hit our home today. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: media | arena: nfl | pageType: stories | A first-round draft pick of the Steelers in 2014, Ryan Shazier suffered a spinal injury during Week 13 of the 2017 NFL season. Shazier is set to be a free agent in March. The 25-year-old is recovering fromspinal stabilization surgery. “My end goal is to allow the Lord to let me come back and play at the high level that I was before,” Shazier said. This is what keeps me going. "He's a long way from where he was on Monday night.". "Shazier needs assistance from a walker or other people or to support him in his rehabilitation walking, which remains a struggle.". "Although he won't be able to help us on the field in 2019, his leadership, insight, and emotional support have always been very valuable to us, and we look forward to his contributions in our pursuit of a championship.". He also said that he’s not afraid of suffering another injury if he eventually returns to the field, but added that “he’ll have to play safer and keep his head up.”. Shazier has made incredible progress after a terrifying spinal injury he suffered in December 2017 against the Bengals. I’d like to thank Dr. Okonkwo, Dr. Harrington, Dr. Maroon, and Dr. Schroeder for their amazing work on my procedure and continuous care. Today’s a big day for me as I’m officially being released from the hospital. That nothing can stop you. Shazier spoke at a press conference — his first time speaking to media after his December injury. Shazier has been the Steelers’ biggest defensive playmaker since they took him in the first round of the 2014 draft. I want everyone to know that all of the support and prayers are absolutely being answered. All Rights Reserved. Just to be able to feel a part of it means the world. Four days after undergoing spinal surgery, Ryan Shazier is showing "gradual improvement," according to a report Sunday by ESPN's Adam Schefter. "It's been over 1,000 days since I got hurt on the field," Shazier said in the video, addressing his retirement. On Cincinnati’s first possession of the game, Shazier went to the ground clutching his back after tackling Bengals wide receiver Josh Malone. How grateful I am for everything football gave me. But I feel like my stats are as good as those who made it.”. #SHALIEVE (via @Andrea_Kremer) pic.twitter.com/pILBGzu3Js, Would the Steelers have gotten past Jacksonville with Shazier on the field? Ryan Shazier is clearly confident in his recovery from the severe spinal injury he suffered in December. “Although he won’t be able to help us on the field in 2019, his leadership, insight, and emotional support have always been very valuable to us, and we look forward to his contributions in our pursuit of a championship.”. A well-deserved STANDING ovation for this guy. He was taken by ambulance to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, where doctors treated him. But then, the moment I got hurt, I stopped being Superman. “I’m taking it one step at a time, but I know the Lord,” Shaziersaid, per CBS Pittsburgh. They had a hard time holding back tears in the immediate aftermath and for the rest of the game. But in March, the Steelers placed Shazier on the reserve/retired list. Meanwhile, his father says Tuesday's announcement ticks on box for his son. He's like, 'Anytime you need anything, anytime you need to talk about anything, I'm willing to help and I'm here.'". "I want to thank the Lord for the first downs that he has been allowing me to achieve," Shazier wrote. We know his spirit and positive outlook will help him to continue in his recovery, as well as serve as an inspiration to our team.”. Following the Steelers’ 2018 season, Art Rooney II gave an update about Shazier’s status with the team. "We're praying for healing and keeping our mind and faith strong. He visited his teammates at practice for the first time before the Steelers’ divisional matchup against the Jaguars, bringing an emotional lift as the team prepared for the postseason. Shazier underwent spinal stabilization surgery, according to an announcement from the team: Statement from UPMC Neurosurgeons & #Steelers Team Physicians on Ryan Shazier pic.twitter.com/nE7xgsx7Tx, “I’m not worried about him playing for us again, I’m more worried about him,” Steelers defensive coordinator Keith Butler said via the Post-Gazette. “You just want to go hard for him. When you play the game of football the way I did, you convince yourself you're Superman. I don’t know if I’d be where I’m at or making the progress I’m making without you guys. #SHALIEVE : @RyanShazier pic.twitter.com/T3bN1DB8M5. Shazier was transported back to Pittsburgh to stay at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center: Statement on #Steelers LB Ryan Shazier (Wednesday, Dec. 6): pic.twitter.com/7AVSzXMksr. Ryan Shazier is back in Pittsburgh, but the Steelers linebacker will continue to receive medical care for his injured back. While it was feared that Shazier could be paralyzed, he is now able to walk, but the 28-year-old determined he was unable to continue playing in the NFL. A post shared by Ryan Shazier (@shazier) on Dec 4, 2019 at 9:05pm PST. Shazier was immobilized on a backboard, carted off the field, and taken to a Cincinnati hospital. There is a ton at stake, but no true marquee matchup. Ryan Shazier’s recovery from a potentially career-ending back injury has served as an inspiration for the Steelers organization. Shazier's personal life has also flourished. The Steelers said in a Wednesday statement that Shazier's treatment will continue at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, where he will "continue tests and evaluations before his medical team any further updates on his condition.". "The kid had a devastating injury," Colbert said. You must always remain HUMBLE! #dkps #steelers pic.twitter.com/lftTPOBt0G. “I know a lot of people say I’m an inspiration to them, but honestly the support I’ve been getting has allowed me to just stay positive and be able to push through every day also.”. Ryan Shazier did not want to miss the AFC game of the year. What matters now is just Shazier’s continued recovery. It was the date that Shazier sustained a severe spinal injury that left him with just a 20% chance of walking again. He was out here with us, and we know it,” quarterback Ben Roethsliberger said after their 39-38 dramatic win. The award is given annually to an NFL figure who has overcome adversity. I can’t appropriately express how grateful I am for how quickly you’ve helped me bounce back. The team announced it planned to do exactly that — ensuring Shazier can continue to get paid by the league, accrue years toward a pension, and receive NFL medical insurance. "Taking it day-by-day, but I’m far from done.The Lord has not finished his work yet. This station is part of Cox Media Group Television. Shazier underwent "spinal stabilization surgery" Dec. 6in Pittsburgh, after being transferred by medivac helicopter from Cincinnati, where he was injured in the Steelers' game against the Bengals. “I’ve fought my hardest to be a leader and a force on the field for Pittsburgh, bleeding black and gold on the front lines," he wrote on his Instagram account that day. But his journey isn't over. Seventeen months after doctors feared he might never walk again, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier danced (pictured) at his wedding. “It’s something I’ll never forget,” DE Stephon Tuitt said. “If he can’t play anymore, then God has a plan for him,” he told Berry. A first-round draft pick of the Steelers in 2014, Ryan Shazier suffered a spinal injury during Week 13 of the 2017 NFL season. While he took a moment to reflect on the past two years, Shazier also made it clear to his followers that he "is not going to stop.".