I am the miracle. Especially when college just feeds you right into mainstream society which is also nothing I would like to be a part of. Goodreads helps you follow your favorite authors. I breathed deeply. surfers, zen practitioners, people who like good stories. I thought that this book was a great story about how Jaimal went from a kid on an island in the Atlantic, to surfing Hawaii and meditating. I read this book in one day (I had a lot of spare time) so that being said, it was quite easy to read. May 1st 2009 Waves are a recurring analogy in a lot of buddhist texts & commentaries. Many of my friends and high schoolers around the country are stressing themselves out and wigging out. Interesting memoir of a guy whose teens and twenties focused on buddhism (joining monasteries, etc.) Not that I don’t have preferences or dreams anymore. And then we will rot and decay again. It doesn’t exist. Welcome back. Alle Boeddha citaten, wijsheden, quotes en uitspraken vindt u nu al 20 jaar op citaten.net. I think Jaimal's book romanticizing that lost-adolescent-coming-of-age stage a little too. “Most surf spots are best at low tide when the ocean’s ribs are exposed and vulnerable. They were the same - interdependent. Maybe I too can go to a good school and have a solid job and remain me. But I got bored, and while I keep meaning to go back, I haven't. It's the most enjoyable book I've read in years. It was a bad wave we'd caught and it had closed out and was holding us down. Jaimal Yogis clearly knows the art of writing; his prose is fluid and succinct. How his editor let them publish Rockaway being part of Brooklyn is beyond me, though. I enjoyed his stories from surfing and traveling and how they shaped him as a person. It was an easy read that feels more coming-of-age than a spiritual journey, using zen Buddhism and surfing as a springboard. Any of you love the ocean and adventure, this is a fun and enlightening read! I have a 10 year old surfer. I enjoyed the stories of this writer. Fantastic book about choosing a way of life. We all will die and rot and decay and be reborn as dirt or flowers or worms, or polar bears who will drown because their ice is all melting, or presidents of war-torn countries, or whales swimming around acidifying seas. There was nothing I could do. I enjoyed his stories from surfing and traveling and how they shaped him as a person. As a longtime surfer, I've often been floating happily atop the ocean, the buzz from my last wave making me feel as though I was in a dreamy, half-state, completely oblivious to life's problems, lost in bliss. His journey, from studying to be a monk, to living a life ruled by surfing in Hawaii, then leaving it all to study in New York, illustrates clearly that it is impossible for him to give up surfing or Zen, in fact, they rule his life. Jaimal Yogis is a writer, Buddhist meditation teacher, and outdoorsman with a special love of surfing. “I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m learning to not want to be someone else, to just be who i am, as is, with nothing else added on. And I definitely didn't get the sense of zen or calm enlightenment that I expected. But it seems like the idea of paradise is just on the horizon, always, while life is here, under my feet, now. I'm afraid to get sucked into a system and be another player in the rat race. To see what your friends thought of this book, Yes. Sure, it wasn’t always as fun as riding a wave. I carry this book with e every time I travel and refer to it on aq constant basis. I am finishing my sophomore year in high school and have been starting to discuss college with my parents. Short Buddha Quotes. This is the 2000's Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, but better. The mix of surfing, the Buddhist lessons and how everything comes together in the journey of life makes it so much more than a good story. “From the perspective of utter love for surfing, paddling was always okay, no matter how difficult, no matter how hopeless. People are like this too. They looked violent, erupting against the cliff. I was able to relate in so many ways. Error rating book. No samsara, no nirvana. It's amazing to read a book in which someone else articulates feelings that I haven't been able to, in such a thoughtful and simple way. One-liners, short Buddha quotes, thoughts, sayings and captions for your bio, social status, self-talk, motto, mantra, signs, posters, wallpapers, backgrounds. The book is his progression from being the kid who ran away to Hawaii to being a journalist in San Francisco, filled with all of the ups and downs of modern life. This is the principle of controlling things by going along with them, of mastery through adaptation.”, “We were both holding on to this thing, this monster between us. That's why Jaimal Yogis' book Saltwater Buddha resonated so much with me. I probably would have found it more profound if I had read it at a transitional stage in life.