ENGLISH: AUDIO: (Listen to the late author Frank McCourt pronounce Saoirse and read along with the meaning) Play Audio for Saoirse: Play Audio for Saoirse. I always thought it was pronounced "SAO-erse" (SAO as in sow, female pig) and I like my pronunciation much better, lol, Until I actually heard the name on tv on Saoirse Ronan for a long time I thought this was "swars" lol. I watched the Irish movie Song of the Sea with my sister recently, and it had a little girl named Saoirse in it. These 16 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Saoirse. Saoirse is of Irish origin, and it is used mainly in the English and Irish languages. Beautiful, but that spelling is definitely going to get butchered. Spell check doesn't even recognize that name. It's weird because I'm usually a fan of original spellings that might look kind of odd to English speakers, but not with this name. I just couldn't figure out how to spell it lol. Famous People with the Irish name Saoirse: Saoirse Ronan is an Irish actress whose films … I must agree. Now you know exactly how to say Saoirse (Picture: Randy Holmes via Getty Images) If you find that hard to remember, just think of the word ‘searcher’ with a softer ‘ch’. If you didn't find an alternative name that you like better than Saoirse, try our name generator. It's a great connection to have to a name. I love this name so much! I loved the movie "Song of the Sea", and this name is so pretty! It is common to both the Irish and Scottish Gaelic languages, and is derived from the Old Irish word sorchae, soirche meaning "brightness". I know, I know, Nameberry is so against it but my name gets mispronounced all the time and I HATE it. Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC. It was lovely! It's a good alternative if that's what you want, as it's easier to pronounce/spell. Really? Sorcha is a Gaelic feminine given name. Naming a child this is insensitive as they will have to put up with a lifetime of telling people how to pronounce it. It allows you to go beyond the similarities of a name, which can provide a lot of inspiration! Boi I bloody love this name, beautiful esssence. ANY name will trip people up. The spelling's a bit tricky though. My friend's name! The name Saoirse is a girl's name of Irish origin meaning "liberty". Now, in a great many cases, there are English ‘equivalents’ to Irish names, and they are widely known and universally used, … My parents almost named me Isabella. One such name is Saoirse, which is the first name of 23-year-old film star Saoirse Ronan, who has now been nominated for three Oscars. This name can also be pronounced SAIR-sha. To the uninitiated, the Gaelic spelling of Irish names such as Siobhán and Saoirse can seem odd, but, believe me - it is a darned sight better than the alternative, which is the ‘mumbo-jumbo’ of attempts at fitting the Irish sounds into English orthography. Ms Ronan’s latest movie Lady Bird failed to win an Oscar, but her career is absolutely flying, with three movies On Chesil Beach, Mary Queen Of Scots and and The Seagull on their way.