Join Today!) What a difference! My Dobro is not a “Wall Hanger” anymore thanks to you! The lessons are fantastic! xv, 184-5, 358. http://mtrecords.co.uk/articles/mount34.htm, https://www.fresnostate.edu/folklore/ballads/SKE57.html, https://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=131461, "Shady Grove: Quicksilver Messenger Service", Original Folkways Recordings of Doc Watson and Clarence Ashley, 1960-1962, History of the Appalachian people in Baltimore, History of the Appalachian people in Chicago, Social and economic stratification in Appalachia, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Shady_Grove_(song)&oldid=979754155, Articles with unsourced statements from April 2019, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 22 September 2020, at 16:07. [10][11][12][13][14][15]. pp. It is set in Dorian mode and was first published in the Journal of American Folklore, dated 1915[4]. [9] It has been recorded by numerous artists, including Jean Ritchie, the Kingston Trio, Jerry Garcia and David Grisman, Mudcrutch, Bill Monroe, Crooked Still, Taj Mahal, Doc Watson and Clarence Ashley, Blood Oranges, Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Chieftains, Jayke Orvis, and Camper Van Beethoven. ~ Tom, Also available through TrueFire: Jimmy's "Essentials" - Blues Dobro Solos, Jimmy Heffernan: Dobro Lessons, Instruments and Music, Soloing on Sweet Georgia Brown [or Circle of 5ths], Whiskey Before Breakfast – Key of D, G tuning. Fiona Ritchie & Doug Orr (2014). Wayfaring Strangers: The Musical Voyage from Scotland and Ulster to Appalachia. [6] Sung by both traditional folk musicians and folk revival musicians, it is sometimes identified as a courting song. The highlight of my time attending the University of Maryland Baltimore County’s undergraduate program at the Universities at Shady Grove (USG) has been completing a minor in Public History. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press. I was doing everything wrong…..After the course, it actually sounds pretty good! Become a Musicnotes Pro - Plus member today and receive PDFs included with every song plus take 15% off all digital sheet music purchases! Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press. The course is NOT a beginner's course, rather it's been specifically designed for guitar players and so Jimmy takes what you already know and simply puts it to work on the dobro. Shady Grove – D minor (streaming) Please Login to view this content. Shady Grove by Doc Watson - Digital Guitar Tab. Print and download Doc Watson Shady Grove Guitar TAB. pp. WOW I have learned more in a week, than the entire last year. Includes 1 print + interactive copy with lifetime access in our free apps. Includes Guitar TAB for Voice, range: C4-C5 or Guitar, range: F3-F5 in D Minor. the original published key, Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, When the Saints Go Marching In (Traditional), We Wish You a Merry Christmas (Traditional). [7] The song describes "the true love of a young man's life and his hope they will wed."[8], Many variants of "Shady Grove" exist (up to 300 stanzas by the early 21st century). The tune of "Shady Grove" was re-used by the group Fairport Convention in 1969 to accompany the traditional British ballad "Matty Groves"[citation needed], on their seminal 1969 folk-rock album Liege and Lief; apart from this usage, the two songs are unrelated. Check out Jimmy's "Dobro Handbook" - A Guitarist's Guide for Playing Dobro. There is speculation that the name Shady Grove may be a place-name, a woman's name, or possibly a mondegreen. Thanks! Pre-order Jimmy’s new CD “I’d trade it all for a little more” (coming this Fall) Click CD cover for song list and ordering info NEWEST LESSON: Blue Ridge Cabin Home (Videos, NOT print) "Dobro Handbook" offered through TrueFire: Jimmy, I just purchased your Dobro Handbook! "Shady Grove" is a traditional Appalachian folk song (Roud 4456), believed to have originated in eastern Kentucky around the beginning the 20th century. [5] The song has been widely adopted in the repertoire of bluegrass, as well as being common among old-time musicians of the Cumberlands. Your high-resolution PDF file will be ready to download in "Shady Grove" is a traditional Appalachian folk song[1] (Roud 4456[2]), believed to have originated in eastern Kentucky around the beginning the 20th century[3]. Wayfaring Strangers: The Musical Voyage from Scotland and Ulster to Appalachia. Posts about minor written by Rebecca Gale. Fiona Ritchie & Doug Orr (2014). (Not a member? SKU: MN0129639 xv, 183, 358. It is set in Dorian mode and was first published in the Journal of American Folklore, dated 1915.There is speculation that the name Shady Grove may be a place-name, a woman's name, or possibly a mondegreen.