I used corn free bread crumbs and it was a hit. Your post brought back many memories. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24005/homemade-shake-and-bake-mixture Repeat until all the chicken pieces have been coated. Baked chicken legs are easy to prepare, inexpensive, and best of all, quite delicious. There are many different ways to make it. Baked chicken is always a family favorite and it’s even better with nice, crunchy skin. this looks supper yummy! This is how you are going to get the best tender, crispy oven baked chicken thighs that will blow your mind! Time To Cook the Shake And Bake Chicken! One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account! Miz Helen, We LOVE crispy baked chicken so I’m glad to have your homemade breading recipe. Welcome to Growing Up Gabel - I am so glad you are here! So delicious Thank you for sharing . I’ve learned from many chefs that you need to cook dark meat further to get the best chicken meat texture and flavour! These Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs are seriously the best chicken thighs that I have ever baked! And you can’t go wrong adding garlic!! When I make this I leave the oil out until I’m going to use it. I need more chicken recipes and I try to stay away from frying chicken to keep it more healthy. Would love to try it with my kids! Now that’s being creative and using what you have! Add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the shake blend to add a spicy kick to the chicken. Who remembers their Mom making Shake and Bake and fighting over the chicken drumsticks? I haven’t had that in years! Combine all of the Shake and Bake ingredients completely. Place the chicken legs, two at a time, in the bag and shake until coated in the mixture. Not only are they cheaper ( you have to pay for someone’s time to remove those bones remember!) Start to Finish: 50 minutes Servings: 6 to 8 Difficulty Level: Beginner. Thank you! I was that lucky kid who got fed shake and bake! Turned out perfectly. Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Next, heat the oil and butter in the oven before adding the seasoned chicken and baking at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Place 1 cup of the shake and bake mixture in a large sealing plastic bag. ( that sounded more pervy than I wanted…..). Yes, a lot of recipes tell you to bake chicken thighs to 165 °F and that’s just for safety sake. All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are an estimate. I will make it again. An easy homemade shake and bake mixture makes this baked chicken‘s skin get extra crunchy and tasty. Pre-heat the oven to 400 °F. Learn how you can help here. Preparing them is as simple as tossing the legs … The oil in the recipe seems a bit odd, but it helps the mix brown up when baking. The chicken looks so good I’m starving half to death now Thanks for sharing what you know. Like I said in my How to Make Homemade Shake and Bake Mix post, I love using prepackaged goods. Combine all of the Shake and Bake ingredients completely. I’m a busy mom of two, wife & cookbook author who loves creating fast, fresh meals for my little family on the Canadian prairies. Definitely moving this recipe to my “Tried and True” board. They will get soggy, unfortunately and won’t crisp up. […] Crunchy Baked Chicken with Homemade Shake and Bake from Growing Up Gabel Crunchy Crusted Chicken Strips with Chipotle Honey Mustard from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure Flautas de Rajas con Queso (Cheesy Poblano Pepper Taquitos) from La Cocina de Leslie Penny’s Taco Salad from Webicurean Popcorn Chowder from The ROXX Box Rosemary Garlic Croutons on layered Savoy Cabbage Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen Strawberry and Mozzarella Flatbread from Family Foodie […], […] Crunchy Baked Chicken with Homemade Shake and Bake from Growing Up Gabel Crunchy Crusted Chicken Strips with Chipotle Honey Mustard from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure Flautas de Rajas con Queso (Cheesy Poblano Pepper Taquitos) from La Cocina de Leslie Penny’s Taco Salad from Webicurean Popcorn Chowder from The ROXX Box Rosemary Garlic Croutons on layered Savoy Cabbage Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen Strawberry and Mozzarella Flatbread from Family Foodie […], […] Crunchy Baked Chicken with Homemade Shake and Bake from Growing Up Gabel […], […] Crunchy Baked Chicken with Homemade Shake and Bake  from Growing Up Gabel Crunchy Crusted Chicken Strips with Chipotle Honey Mustard from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure Flautas de Rajas con Queso (Cheesy Poblano Pepper Taquitos) from La Cocina de Leslie Penny’s Taco Salad from Webicurean Popcorn Chowder from The ROXX Box Rosemary Garlic Croutons on layered Savoy Cabbage Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen Strawberry and Mozzarella Flatbread from Family Foodie […], […] Crunchy Baked Chicken with Homemade Shake and Bake from Growing Up Gabel Crunchy Crusted Chicken Strips with Chipotle Honey Mustard from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure Flautas de Rajas con Queso (Cheesy Poblano Pepper Taquitos) from La Cocina de Leslie German Green Beans from Fast Food to Fresh Food Penny’s Taco Salad from Webicurean Popcorn Chowder from The ROXX Box Rosemary Garlic Croutons on layered Savoy Cabbage Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen Strawberry and Mozzarella Flatbread from Family Foodie […], […] Crunchy Baked Chicken with Homemade Shake and Bake from Growing Up Gabel […], […] Baked chicken is a family favorite. These Tender, Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs have a secret ingredient that makes them the best ever! Copyrights © 2017 NOVABLOG. Gah! Your coating looks exaclty like shake and bake! You need the crushed up Panko in this recipe to get the crispiest chicken legs ever! Used this week on boneless pork chops. Get out a large rimmed baking sheet and set aside. I loved it when mom made it for dinner and your version looks identical to what I grew up with, but I bet it tastes so much better than the box mix! Yeah, my mom would never buy Shake ‘n’ Bake either! BUT yours homemade crispy chicken sounds better than both those options. Share a photo of what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @thekitchenmagpie or hashtag it #thekitchenmagpie. Use a pastry brush to coat the chicken pieces thoroughly with the olive oil. They did stick a bit maybe spray pan with cooking spray. This recipe is fantastic! Remember to use oven mitts to protect your hands when you remove the pan from the oven. I would rather burn down my house than clean it. The recipes above are for a thigh/leg combination, aka the hind quarter. To answer your question Panko, although different than bread crumbs, should work well in this recipe. "Yes, it helped. Coat the chicken itself with oil then place it in the bag and shake. I looooove that you made everything, including the shake and bake, from scratch! Karlynn Facts: I'm allergic to broccoli. Great recipe! Oh, the goodness of crunch baked chicken. Don’t crowd them on the baking sheet! Use clean kitchen shears or a knife to help you separate the skin from the meat. Found you from the Melt in Your Mouth Sunday link up party. To make the chicken skin extra crispy, turn on the broiler for a few minutes after the chicken is fully cooked. This is a little known fact that I’ve learned from many of my chef friends who would never, ever cook it less than that. The Best Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Legs will transport you right back to your childhood! I prefer homemade coatings like yours. It would not stick to the chicken. Andrea Cespedes is a professionally trained chef who has focused studies in nutrition. Karlynn Facts: I'm allergic to broccoli. If I can get rid of cans and boxes I am a happy camper! God bless you real good . Don’t believe me. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I have found if you wet the chicken, it sticks pretty well. It also goes well on boneless skinless breasts and thighs. Shake ‘n Bake is so nostalgic. Last Updated: March 28, 2019 I like that I didn’t have to coat the chicken with anything beforehand. In a large zip-close bag, combine the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and spices. So easy and as tasty as an be! the coating mix, made my own adjustments and was rewarded with delicious results. Make sure that the chicken thighs are wet with water and then place into the bag 2 at a time. I won’t go back to buying the boxed stuff ever again. Place the hot pan on a potholder or trivet. The smashed Panko crumbs in the recipe are really going to be what makes it so crispy! ", "I didn't know how to bake/season drumsticks. Use bone-in chicken to yield the juiciest results. My stepson cannot eat corn and loves breaded chicken. I love make at home recipes. The results are crispy chicken … Make up a batch and store it in a glass canning jar for easy use later. My parents would not get shake and bake and so I always wondered what it tasted like. Required fields are marked *. All Rights Reserved. What a great idea! This is fantastic! Chicken breasts are my nemesis and can dry out at the drop of a hat. Thanks! Let’s just take a look at the photo below, shall we? Simply open up a box, dump the seasoning in a bag, shake your meat and place on a greased pan to bake in the oven. And LOVE the plate. And I’m eager to try it on pork chops cuz we now have a freezer full of pork. Yes!, bake them uncovered and there’s no such thing as a silly question! These were awesome! It’s to the point where I eat something with it accidentally I know. The calories are calculated on a serving of two chicken thighs per person and are not accurate, they include all of the breading which is not an accurate amount. This video also shows you how to do it AND keep this skin on, meaning that you get tender morsels of baked chicken thighs that are crispy on the outside from that skin! Make sure there is at least some space between each chicken leg, or they'll steam rather than bake. Make sure that the chicken skin looks clean, not ripped, not discolored and basically appear like it would hold the homemade shake and bake perfectly. When the chicken is finished cooking, remove the pan from oven. Large chicken breasts will need to cook a little bit longer to be fully cooked through. Mix together thoroughly with a fork or shake the jar very well. They are that good! Thank you! Place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Really coat on that shake and bake coating. To make honey baked chicken legs, start by combining the salt, garlic powder, pepper, and flower in a bag.