My husband didn’t try it, mainly because the kids ate so much it was gone. I have to note that the recipe is exactly the same as the rice packages generally indicate 2:1 water:rice, so I consider this a very good starting point and appreciate you for posting this. For more flavorful rice, feel free to stir in some fresh herbs, spices, and other seasonings prior to starting your slow cooker. Can I double (triple, etc) the recipe to make a LOT of rice? This method works for wild rice or brown rice too. Different slow cookers cook differently. Used the exact ratios and it was an abject failure. Add it to chicken soups instead of noodles, make a quick fried rice…. A recipe for slow cooker brown rice may not sound glamorous, but I’m about to tell you why this is going to change your dinner game plan! I’ll bet your rice turns out great, but it also sounds like a lot of effort! I have a smaller 2 quart crock pot as well as a larger one, I usually cook rice on the stove top, but I think the little crock would work fine. Time to cook! Cooked on High – rice turned to mush Cooked on Low – rice turned to mush I think my slow cooker hates me…. diagnosis or treatment. These coverings could melt as a result of prolonged exposure to heat or leech potential toxins into your rice. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. One of the best things about using a slow cooker is that everything is done in a single piece of cookware, which means less prep work and faster cleanup! P. S. I prefer brown rice. For more tips, like how to use parchment paper to keep your rice moist, read on! With so many types of house styles, narrowing the list down to your favorite can be overwhelming. This time, I am going to make it a bit unique. I have received a lot of brown rice recently, and, as my family isn’t really much on rice I hadn’t cooked it. See More. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. You can put all the ingredients inside the slow cooker in the morning and let it cook the whole day. How long does it take to cook rice in a slow cooker? I’m making my first batch today! Place the rinsed rice in the bowl of your slow cooker and sprinkle salt over the top. Here’s how to cook brown rice in the slow cooker: This is the crock pot I use, but other sizes and models will work as well. To cook wild rice in a crockpot, start by rinsing and draining one cup of wild rice. So label it, and then proceed to stock your freezer with precooked rice. A horrible, gluey mess. The wikiHow Video Team also followed the article's instructions and verified that they work. This is great. Even though it clearly looks like rice, take the time to label it. Recipe Tips states that wild rice takes longer than any other rice to cook, and recommends soaking the wild rice for a few hours or even overnight, if possible. I’ll be starting using my 1 quart slow cooker to see how the ratios and times work out. Depending on the cooking temperature and the amount and type of rice you’re cooking, it generally takes between 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours. Read More... Sign up and receive the latest tips via email. All Rights Reserved. For those who already own these tools, this list may finally provide the motivation you need to toss that never-been-used soufflé dish. Learn more about me and why I started this site. Last Updated: September 22, 2020 4 cups wild rice, rinsed, and 8 cups broth/water. Tin foil in the lid of the pot helps 🙂. She's written for Women's Health & Fitness, Health Guide Info, and Life Coach Hub. Slow cooker rice pudding will keep well in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to three days. Rice cookers are specifically made for rice and typically cook much faster than a slow cooker. For an easy supper that you can depend on, we picked out some of our tried-and-true favorites that have gotten us through even the busiest of days. After I get that where I’m happy with it (how difficult can it be??? Wild rice is ideal for making in your slow cooker, because it usually takes longer to cook than white or brown rice, and it's sturdier than both. I certainly would not have the patience in me to cook rice on the stove-top while constantly stirring. You're awesome for doing it! Save yourself the time slaving over the stove by making perfect rice in the slow cooker or crockpot. What I don’t like about making rice is hovering over the pot waiting for it to be done and I always burn it; I need to try it in the slow cooker. Just a guess). By using our site, you agree to our. This works whether it's for the main dish or a side dish. Better Homes and Gardens also outlines how you can slow cook brown rice with an oven instead of a slow cooker. Crockpot rice is my secret to getting dinner on the table with minimal fuss. Your kitty deserves a name as special as she is. Cover and preheat the slow cooker on high for 15 minutes. While any type of slow cooker will get the job done, a large, oblong variety that holds at least 6 quarts (5.7 L) will work provide the most even and consistent heating. We live in a rural area located in DeKalb County, Illinois. This 4-quart model is the one I use. Learn how your comment data is processed. In the end, you have perfectly slow cooked brown rice for dinner. The butter (or ghee) is recommended, but not mandatory. I’m just glad it was you, and you get the joke 😉. Tip: You can use a slow cooker to fix any type of rice, including white, brown, wild, or long-grain jasmine or basmati. 🙁. Add two cups brown rice, 3 1/3 cups broth (vegetable and chicken broths both work great), and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. https://www.bhg.com/.../how-to/cooking-basics/how-to-make-slow-cooker-rice MyRecipes is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. Helpful 0 Not Helpful 0 Simple Whole Chicken with Roasted Broccoli-Mushroom Rice, Wild Rice Salad with Dried Cherries and Parsley, Brown Rice Bowl with Miso, Poached Egg, and Kale-Radish Slaw, Chili-Garlic Shrimp with Coconut Rice and Snap Peas, Grilled Flank Steak with Cherry-Pecan Rice, Slow Cooker Cardamom Rice Pudding with Fresh Peaches. This article has been viewed 34,768 times. The important thing to realize is that you can cook any amount of rice in a crockpot with this method, limited only by how big your crock pot is. I definitely think there is an argument to be made for the merits of both white and brown rice, for sure! We’re not setting anything on fire while yelling “Opa! Required fields are marked *. Then cook the rice on high heat for 3 hours. Copyright © 2020 A Clean Bake. I have a pound of brown rice in the crockpot now. Better Homes & Gardens may receive compensation when you click through and purchase from links contained on Cleaning your home doesn't have to be a daunting, time-consuming chore. The only problem I had was I put it on high and was in the barn longer than 2 hours, so the outer layer burnt. BH&G is part of the Meredith Home Group. Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice with Cream of Mushroom Soup. – is the time it takes to cook. We’ll help you set up a baking kit for beginners with 21 essential tools. If you want to add in any extra ingredients for an additional flavor, you can stir them into the mixture at this point. I have a gas stove and it basically has two settings: high and off. Ingredients . Pin my slow cooker brown rice for later here. You’re my kind of person, for sure!! I’m going to be able to have Nutritious brown rice ready anytime thank you. if so you’d need to add extra time. ? Not that you should be worried about arsenic in your rice, but I understand that some of you may be.) Will have to try it out. If you can, stir the rice around the 1-hr mark. Will add more garlic & some meat once cooked! LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. So glad you’re enjoying my site and recipes. You may omit it if you want. I’m going to try this for the first time today… just want to do it right. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. This is the crock pot I use, but other sizes and models will work as well. If you enjoyed this post, please leave me a comment and rating! Mine was the opposite. This sounds fantastic, can’t wait to try! Unless otherwise specified, no content may be used without express permission from the author. Avoid using plastic cling wrap or similar materials. Label it with the portion size and “cooked brown rice”. Once the inside is well covered, mix two cups of brown rice with about four cups of either water, or reduced-sodium broth. A novice cook………………I cook for myself and only poisoned me a few times….but I survive. And finally, a few readers have asked what size and model slow cooker that I used for this, because it has some bearing on cooking time. This is the quickest, easiest way I’ve ever come across 🙂. salt. Heat for 60 seconds. It said 8 servings but I wasn’t sure if you meant per cup? I also like to add 1 tablespoon of butter or ghee per cup of rice, which produces a richer flavor and helps prevent the rice from sticking to the slow cooker bowl while cooking. used as a substitute for professional medical advice, I made the rice & turned out good. It makes six servings, so you'll have more than enough for one person for the week, or you can double it if you're planning to use it as a side dish for family meals a few times in a week. That’s a really great idea! Here are the steps: Read more: 10 Simple and Delicious Slow Cooker Meals. Thanks for the post!! Should I have to adjust the cooking time or a crock pot is a crockpot, just smaller capacity? It might be easier to cook perfect rice in crock pot than using any other method of cooking rice. Did you use a small slow cooker or a 6 quart one? Place a steamer basket with the center post removed (if possible) in a 3½- to 6-quart slow cooker. What type of rice were you using? They're essential to holidays and casual gatherings. It takes a little bit of effort, but it is worth it! The next time you need a side dish recipe – say – for stir-fry, or as a side to taco night at your house, you are already ahead of the game! I’m intrigued by your post and may have to give it try. My family eats brown rice and I have been making it and freezing 2 cup bags for years. Choose between white rice, brown rice, and wild rice, then let your slow cooker do the rest. I would love to hear which machine worked best! Let it cook for at least three hours. Thank you for eliminating some of the guesswork. I'm Nora and I am here to to help you eat well on a gluten free, grain free and refined sugar free diet without ever feeling restricted or deprived! Slow cooker rice is easy to make and great for setting up in the morning to have rice by dinner time.