Yes, subscribe to get my 10 slow cooker recipes via email! Serve over cauliflower rice mixed with lite coconut milk, 1/2 tsp. All you need to add is a source of healthy fats and some flavour and you’re good to go! You can also follow us on Facebook, and Pinterest. Should I see what happens, or will the cooked coconut milk make it an inedible disaster? Add the ingredients (except for the coconut milk) to the crockpot and cook high 4-6 hours or low for 8. This looks like a hearty and filling meatless dinner, yum! I found that the Lite Coconut Milk at Trader Joe’s is in a BPA free can, you can also get it on Amazon Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk Lite (affiliate link). I first started making this recipe when a friend was coming over to visit. Your email address will not be published. Not only is it incredibly easy to make, it’s loaded with flavour, completely satisfying and packed with a delicious balance of plant-based nutrition. I’ve never made anything with curry, but any recipe that includes coconut milk in it is pretty much my favorite :). red or green curry paste). And to increase the creaminess of the red lentil curry, I added peeled and diced sweet potatoes to the mixture. Add 1/2 cup of lite coconut milk, 1/2 tsp. 6. I can’t get enough of this sweet potato and lentil curry. I wanted a creamier curry base to serve with brown rice. Lentils are a type of legume and compared to other legumes (ex. Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday and I hope to see you tomorrow! No multiple step, cook this and that separately before adding it to the slow cooker. Your recipe is perfect timing! And don’t forget to add a little greek yogurt, a splash of lemon juice and cilantro to really make this Red Lentil Curry out of this world delicious! Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop! Pinned! And if all else fails, you can always order it through this Amazon affiliate link: Garam Masala. Of course, there are other great sources of protein and carbohydrates. Click HERE for our other fantastic Slow Cooker Recipes. We love curry and lentils at our house so this will be fun to try! My hotel “neighbors” were making their own curry in the Hilton hotel everyday. Welcome to Lettuce Veg Out, a vegan recipe and nutrition website created by Nicole Stevens, MSc, RD. Filed Under: Vegan and Gluten Free Recipes, Vegan Dinner Recipes, Vegan Recipes Tagged With: Cilantro, Coconut milk, Ginger, Herbs and spices, Indian, Legumes, Plant-based protein, Sweet potato, Vegetables. Set the slow cooker on high heat for 4 hours; stirring occasionally if possible. This recipe is very easy to throw together. While there’s something about this sweet potato lentil curry recipe I can’t seem to get enough of, if you’re someone who likes variety, you can achieve that with different curry spices and sauces. Last updated November 19, 2019 by Samantha Rowland. Growing up, I had never heard of curry, nor was I exposed to many different cultures of food. Pinterest 398; Facebook; Jump to Recipe. This sounds delicious and definitely going to land on our dinner table soon! Did you grow up eating the same 5-8 meals? With 5-6 kids in the house at most times, my Dad cooked for us what he knew we would eat! My husband would love this…he is a big fan of anything curry! That’s what I perfected: a dump-and-go vegan sweet potato and lentil curry slow cooker recipe. Everything I owned smelled like curry. Cooking Lentils in a Slow Cooker vs. Other Legumes. First, red lentils cook faster than other types of lentils. This Slow Cooker Red Lentil Curry recipe has become one of our favorite weeknight recipes. Not only does that take longer to cook, but it also creates more dishes to clean! The best part about curry is the potential health benefits of the spices being used. What a tasty dish! These curry pastes are typically made with lots of aromatic herbs and spices which can also have unique health benefits! Well I’ve never made curry in the slow cooker, always on the stove, but curry yes please!!! Ready to eat when you get home. There are many different types of curry dishes so the flavour possibilities are also endless. I’m so glad I did though because so many FLAVORS. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 7 hours, until the sweet potatoes are tender. After the 4 hours are done, turn off the slow cooker. Larger legumes need to be soaked to cook evenly and they require higher levels of heat. I’m not usually the type of person who likes to eat the same thing all week long. I didn’t realize how yummy lentils could be till we had this barbecued lentil dish on Sunday. Place all these vegetables into the slow cooker. 7. Recipe updated :). I’ve found the flavor and texture to be different with the coconut milk added at the start but technically it should “work” and I hope it turned out for you! I figured I could never create those iconic flavors without a ton of spices and time. I’m sure you will love it as much as I do! ★ Did you make this recipe? It seems like  now a days everyone is always on the go. Bring the heat back up to medium and gradually stir in vegetable stock. I just started making this, but didn’t read the directions sufficently, and I put in the coconut milk with the vegetables right at the start. Now this has become one of our favorite meals! I’m a horrible friend and clearly haven’t been here in too long Shame on me. And the texture wasn’t quite what I was looking for. Served over cauliflower coconut rice, this curry is the perfect way to warm up on a cold night. Your email address will not be published. Dinner Dilemma solved. If you use ‘regular’ or ‘low sodium’, you may need to use less added salt. I used store bought curry powder, turmeric, garlic powder, ginger, and cumin to build the flavor profile here. It’s a surprise to me that anyone gets fed, let alone having time to cook dinner every night! Please note I only recommend products that I personally use and trust. But there’s something about this vegan curry recipe that I don’t get tired of through the week. My mom made lentil soup growing up that I loved, I just never knew all the fabulous things you can do with them. Thanks! I’m sure you’ll enjoy this sweet potato lentil curry recipe as much as I do! Please accept cookies for optimal performance. Gluten free, vegan, and so simple, this meal will be waiting for you when you get home from a long day at work! But that’s what the slow cooker is for!! Thanks so much for sharing this in today’s link party! Hi there! Fake Meat: Does a Dietitian Approve Vegan Meat Alternatives? YIPPEE! Add lentils and stir frequently for another 5-6 minutes, allowing the lentils to toast up and absorb some moisture. Curry brings back memories of when I was working in Singapore. From offthesidewalk in Tampa, FL – Carlyn :-). I love that you made this in the crockpot. It is absolutely full of flavor and because we make it in our slow cooker it is ready to eat when we walk in the door. Speaking of tomatoes, the brand/variety you use could vary in salt content.Season to taste. Gluten free, vegan, and so simple, this meal will be waiting for you when you get home from a long day at work! Pinned and tweeted to share! Just add all you ingredients before you leave for work, turn it on low for 8 hours and when you get home, your house will smell amazing and dinner will be ready. My mom made a home cooked meal every night. chickpeas, black beans) lentils are relatively small.. I’ve always been a little scared to make curry at home. Hi Karen, thanks for the comment. 5 from 1 vote. chickpeas, black beans) lentils are relatively small. This recipe for sweet potato lentil curry has you covered in both those areas. Required fields are marked *. I swear I should have like 3 of them because I use mine all the time. ; Use a good quality can of tomatoes.San Marzano is great! In my books, a balanced meal contains protein, carbohydrates including fibre, healthy fat and vegetables. Read More. What was the most exotic thing you ate as a kid. To make cauliflower rice, you just add cauliflower florets to a food processor and pulse until they look like rice. I originally created this recipe for my nutrition clients for their easy to follow meal plan. Perfect, I thought! I truly believe that having food planned and prepared is the best way to meet your nutrition goals. Next comes the challenge of finding garam masala. Now that I”m grown up, it blows my mind that my mom would come home and cook for an hour or more most nights just go get dinner on the table. Lentils are a type of legume and compared to other legumes (ex. Right before serving, stir in the coconut milk. Put coconut milk in by mistake and mixed it all up….will that matter? Turn off the heat and stir in the coconut milk. Drop in the ingredients, set the slow cooker and forget about it! Sweet potato is a delicious vegetable that also provides healthy carbohydrates and fibre. Hi Sam, I may just put this in my crockpot right now. It’s best to get a variety of different coloured vegetables for the best health benefits, but if you’re looking for an inexpensive source of essential nutrients on a vegan diet, this combo is hard to beat! Stir the ingredients together. :) Looks amazing. This dish looks AWESOME, Sam! I love to cook and would spend my entire day in the kitchen, but sometimes after a long day, it’s the last thing I want to do.