A young woman from the town of Shulam or Shunem. 5 I am dark, but lovely,O daughters of Jerusalem,Like the tents of Kedar,Like the curtains of Solomon.6 Do not look upon me, because I am dark,Because the sun has [e]tanned me.My mother’s sons were angry with me;They made me the keeper of the vineyards,But my own vineyard I have not kept. 3 Because of the savour of thy good ointments thy name is as ointment poured forth, therefore do the virgins love thee. 6 In the morning sow your seed, and at evening mwithhold not your hand, for you do not know which will prosper, this or that, or whether both alike will be good. Begin reading God's Word ad-free with instant access to your new online study library. [2] Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth: for thy love is better than wine. Create or log in to your Bible Gateway account. 5 I am dark, but lovely,O daughters of Jerusalem,Like the tents of Kedar,Like the curtains of Solomon.6 Do not look upon me, because I am dark,Because the sun has [e]tanned me.My mother’s sons were angry with me;They made me the keeper of the vineyards,But my own vineyard I have not kept. 8 So if a person lives many years, let him rejoice in them all; but let him remember othat the days of darkness will be many. 11 We will make [h]you ornaments of goldWith studs of silver. 16 Behold, you are handsome, my beloved!Yes, pleasant!Also our [k]bed is green.17 The beams of our houses are cedar,And our rafters of fir. This has been understood as meaning "one of Solomon's songs," with allusion to the 1,005 songs (1Kings 4:32) which that monarch composed. What are the benefits of creating an account? 4 and athe doors on the street are shut—when bthe sound of the grinding is low, and one rises up at the sound of a bird, and all cthe daughters of song are brought low— 16 How handsome you are, my beloved! 11 pThe words of the wise are like goads, and like qnails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are rgiven by sone Shepherd. The Holy Bible, New King James Version, Copyright © 1982 Thomas Nelson. 16 Behold, you are handsome, my beloved!Yes, pleasant!Also our [k]bed is green.17 The beams of our houses are cedar,And our rafters of fir. Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. No wonder the young women love you! Your eyes are doves. All your content will be saved and you can seamlessly switch devices. mon’s: + 2 “May he kiss me with the kisses of his mouth, For your expressions of affection are better than wine. 13A bundle of myrrh is my beloved to me,That lies all night between my breasts. You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. We rejoice and delight in you[b];    we will praise your love more than wine. and he who regards the clouds will not reap. The speaker and audience are identified according to the number, gender, and person of the Hebrew words. Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. To manage your subscription, visit your Bible Gateway account settings. Take me away with you—let us hurry! with all the fragrant powders of a merchant? An integrated digital Bible study library - including complete notes from the Believer's Bible Commentary and the Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible (NIV and NRSV) - is just a step away! Don't have an account? 9I have compared you, my love,To my filly among Pharaoh’s chariots. An integrated digital Bible study library - including complete notes from the NIV Study Bible and the NKJV MacArthur Study Bible, 2nd Edition - is just a step away! 10  xYour cheeks are lovely with ornaments. 17 The beams of our house are cedars;    our rafters are firs. 2 Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth—For [b]your love is better than wine.3 Because of the fragrance of your good ointments,Your name is ointment poured forth;Therefore the virgins love you.4 Draw me away! To subscribe at our regular subscription rate, click the button below. The Song of Solomon. 8 mVanity2 of vanities, says nthe Preacher; all is vanity. Oh, how beautiful! The king has brought me into his interior rooms! : the Beloved; Song of Solomon 1:4 Masc. Try it for 30 days FREE. NKJV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible, Red Letter Edition: Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture, NKJV, Chronological Study Bible: Holy Bible, New King James Version, NKJV Word Study Bible: 1,700 Key Words that Unlock the Meaning of the Bible, NKJV, Vines Expository Bible, Comfort Print: A Guided Journey Through the Scriptures with Pastor Jerry Vines. 2  I will rise now and go about the city. 11  We will make for you2 ornaments of gold, 13  My beloved is to me a sachet of amyrrh, 14  My beloved is to me a cluster of bhenna blossoms. Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial. + Your name is like a fragrant oil poured out. 5 Dark am I, yet lovely,    daughters of Jerusalem,dark like the tents of Kedar,    like the tent curtains of Solomon. The song begins with the female speaker expressing her longing for a passionate kiss from the one she loves. Three easy steps to start your free trial subscription to Bible Gateway Plus. All rights reserved worldwide. sing. A young woman from the town of Shulam or Shunem, The main male and female speakers (identified primarily on the basis of the gender of the relevant Hebrew forms) are indicated by the captions. Your name is like a fragrant oil poured out. 5 they are afraid also of what is high, and dterrors are in the way; the almond tree blossoms, the grasshopper drags itself along,1 and desire fails, because man is going to his eeternal fhome, and the gmourners go about the streets— 7Tell me, O you whom I love,Where you feed your flock,Where you make it rest at noon.For why should I be as one who [f]veils herselfBy the flocks of your companions? by xthe gazelles or the does of the field. i. Solomon is presumed to be the author because he is mentioned six times (Song of Solomon 1:5, 3:7, 3:9, 3:11, 8:11, and 8:12) and there are three references to an unnamed king (Song of Solomon 1:4, 1:12, and 7:5). You are beautiful. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. Song of Solomon 1:1 contains the title of the book: literally, A song of the songs (Heb., Shir hashirim), which to Solomon, i.e., of which Solomon is author. 8If you do not know, O fairest among women,[g]Follow in the footsteps of the flock,And feed your little goatsBeside the shepherds’ tents. 5I am dark, but lovely,O daughters of Jerusalem,Like the tents of Kedar,Like the curtains of Solomon. 5  zI adjure you, aO daughters of Jerusalem. 15 How beautiful you are, my darling! Upgrade, and get the most out of your new account. It is stated in 1 Kings 4:32 that Solomon wrote a thousand and five songs; yet only one of them is found in the Bible; and through the ages there have often been questions as to whether or not this one really belongs in the Canon. 1 The Song of a Songs, which is Solomon’s. 8 If you do not know, O fairest among women,[g]Follow in the footsteps of the flock,And feed your little goatsBeside the shepherds’ tents.9 I have compared you, my love,To my filly among Pharaoh’s chariots.10 Your cheeks are lovely with ornaments,Your neck with chains of gold. 7  I vadjure you,3 O wdaughters of Jerusalem. They made me the keeper of the vineyards. 14 For xGod will bring every deed into judgment, with4 every secret thing, whether good or evil. 11 We will make [h]you ornaments of goldWith studs of silver. Let the king bring me into his chambers. 11We will make [h]you ornaments of goldWith studs of silver. and if a tree falls to the south or to the north. Your eyes are those of doves.”, Share 17The beams of our houses are cedar,And our rafters of fir. Try it free for 30 days. The Bride Confesses Her Love She 1. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. 14  O my hdove, in the iclefts of the rock.  |  10 nThe Preacher sought to find words of delight, and uprightly he wrote words of truth. Creating an account allows you to access more features and content such as: Reading the Bible is rewarding, and these plans make it easy!