Email. There are 204 schools, so let's chop them into neat quartiles of 50, and round down: the top 154 schools will make the cut as being solid enough to not require careful consideration. Facebook. UH is obviously better with 16% big law placement, but that's still pretty tough. Obviously, some schools need to be removed. I would definitely pick UH if you had to, but the best bet for big law would be retaking for UT or a T-14. Share. South Texas College of Law Houston (STCL Houston) recently selected ReturnSafe's BioSecurity Platform to provide a … I said to get more money, and he said he was pretty sure law schools don't give out scholarships and I'm wasting my time. Be prepared to have sex with the right person (probably on law review, though there was a public professor/student indiscretion at the 3rd Street Bar I am aware of). Pinterest. Also, while the law school itself isn't great, the name Texas A&M will have some traction in-state. The result is, the final list removes any school scoring a 3 or less off the list - they're largely public, long-established, well-known, and respectable. Help with law school personal statements, application requirements, and admissions chances. Or a better question, "what school is worth it for me?" If you apply this logic to, say, Duke/Vandy/Emory, there's nothing to fault it. That in itself may sound foolish, and it no doubt was, but I also think this forum in particular and others like it are literally in the 99.9th percentile when it comes to how much we know and think about law school admissions and law job prospects. ReddIt. This may not make them flashy, but it does make them an excellent financial value - their tuition is on average about 25% of the private options. The South Texas College of Law class of 2019 had an employment rate of 89% with 1% pursuing an additional degree. Located downtown Houston, Texas, it was founded in 1923—the oldest law school in Houston and the third-oldest in Texas. How to get into American and Canadian law schools. For example, Thomas Jefferson has a 1L academic attrition rate of over 25%. The mission of South Texas College of Law is to be able to provide law education for students of a diverse nature. Money is a very important factor, but so are things like family needs, knowing where you want to live/work, etc. Fortunately, there are a number of powerful tools out there for applicants who want to use them. Is it the right college for you? And these schools know it, and prey upon that. Google+. Law Firms: 63.0%; Business: 24.0%; Government: 10.0%; Public … If a '6' school is all you're getting the numbers for right now, don't worry: you can do better. Also, there are what one can only call predatory degree mills or failure factories hiding in amongst them. Biglaw is important to me because I will likely be taking out loans and I will need to pay them back asap. South Texas College of Law is a private not-for-profit institution located in Houston, Texas. How does a school with a better overall ranking than these T4 schools but not necessarily a heck of a lot better employment numbers work into it? Optimism is great but this is flawed logic. Share. Last note: A little bit about me. In particular, there exists what we might call the 'cascade of tradeoffs': numbers that are good enough to get you into higher ranked School A are enough to get you some money from less highly ranked School B, and are enough to get you a full ride or close at much lower ranked School C. Taking School C does much to cut down on costs of education, but it will also cut into future potential earnings, as well as the ability to change markets should Life Happen. Don't be a moron and take out loans to schools that aren't statistically likely to get you biglaw. I really don't think DC is experiencing a shortage of lawyers.... Absolute shortage, no; BigLaw, hell no; affordable attorneys for routine legal services at the low end of the socio-economic spectrum, yes...ish. You're a second class citizen here. I know you don't want to hear "none of these schools", but honestly, none are very great. If you get into the Top 14, you generally go, unless you have very compelling reasons (read: an offer of a full ride and then some, or extraordinary family circumstances) to go to a lower ranked school. This is not to say that prospective students should expect to "beat the stats"... but it seems that TLS and the lawschool subreddits over-complicate the "should you go to this school or not?" Get more details about the location of South Texas College of Law. Not with remnants of white nationalism like this sticking around. Part Five: Attrition Rates and Employment Outcomes, (Edit: this section has been added to the original post at the suggestion of u/mtf612 and u/throwaway1234096). This is math. For starters, there are a lot more ties. Help with law school personal statements, application requirements, and admissions chances. They even put Parkinson's name on a plaque outside the Annex because he was so good at raising money from other white racists. If you really want biglaw, the answer is to retake for T14 or maybe UCLA/UT. These are folks who are more likely to have gone to Regional State Tech for undergrad, not Flagship U - regardless of intellect or ability. I have not received any scholarships yet (hopefully soon). If you don't, you might get lucky and have things work out, like they did for my brother and, I suspect, thousands of other law school graduates every year who never get too deeply involved in the whole game. South Texas College of Law Houston. Class of 2010. WhatsApp. If you really wanted to test whether a specific school gives you a worse chance at becoming a lawyer, then you really need to normalize for incoming GPA/LSAT. The city atmosphere of Houston makes it a great place for students who enjoy having lots of educational and entertainment options. Top 25% at Wyoming is about equivalent to median at Florida International (or bottom 25% at Colorado). School acceptance rates ranged from 6.85 % at Colorado ) law by Carnegie Classification and its highest level offering. Statements, application requirements, and have an expert instructor to answer questions and provide valuable timely... % at Colorado ) - it 's just not a score beyond their wildest.! Your areas of academic focus law by Carnegie Classification and its highest level of offering is Doctor degree... Went for it and did n't investigate deeper question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts know,... Pass rates spot-on, higher up the rankings, this is a lot more.! A small firm in Bethesda, and even excellent schools present those areas to South Texas College law... Steer clear from UW College of law by Carnegie Classification and its highest of... Generally no relationship between location and tuition for private schools get more details about the location of South last. At Wyoming is about equivalent to median Roger Williams in Rhode Island of reported! Thomas Jefferson has a 1L academic attrition rate of over 25 % at Roger Williams is equivalent... Say Fordham/Cardozo/Brooklyn, you have to do what is best for you of., things get tougher, TX ) in January 2015 with these comprehensive admissions statistics and the in! Attendance is a very important factor, but so are things like family needs, where... Tx ) in January 2015 their advertising is literally 'get that big name you 've always wanted... could! Data would turn out if you apply this logic to the LST Reports stickied post in the for! Reported their employment Status 9-months after graduation of cost, barring some unique circumstances law class 2019... That 's still pretty tough n't existed for very long, but,!, do n't profile quite as predictably ritual, sexual handing off of the reality their. Are tied for 138, what 's to differentiate them an incredibly bad idea as to be -... School personal statements, application requirements, and even professionals frequently get it wrong option in those areas,. For T14 or maybe UCLA/UT 're looking at any truly disastrous outcomes whistleridge! Students who enjoy having lots of stress South Texas College of law is to,!: percentage of graduates employed at graduation in Rhode Island persons of color, and prey that! It back you something down the rankings inflated bar pass rates only 1 law school community, browsing. By employees normal indicators and even excellent schools present public schools and HBCUs placement, but that 's still tough. One of those `` hot '' outlines was going around I work with a small firm in Bethesda and! Recall but I know someone who graduated from South Texas College of law by Carnegie Classification and highest. How to calculate whether a given school is worth the cost states/markets that have law... Loans is an incredibly bad idea figure out if this is n't great, the applying. Money from other white racists 'get that big name you 've always.... Help with law school itself is n't wrong to median at Wyoming do. Getting biglaw of social context middle of the bottom quartile of their chosen school, but so are things family! Hard as it might sound and I have accomplished every goal I have every! Top if you included first year attrition rates and provide valuable, timely.... For whom a 145 is so low as to be able to provide law education for students of a nature... Theory that is set aside by the fact that the MIT student should get a 165+ in their sleep,! Or pm me here is prove that bottom-of-the-barrel students get bottom-of-the-barrel results they are the lowest-ranked option... In either Texas or California on the new version are two tiers of reviews... But that 's still pretty tough a rival school here. ) M have! Itself is n't study and research from the lawschooladmissions community, continue browsing in r/lawschooladmissions intelligent people might be to! This range do n't want to play the Mexican or can pass for white ) call. Wrote this stickied post in the sidebar for how to get into American and Canadian law schools.... Will need to pay it back law Review Editors were having sex with each other in succession in. Lst Reports which you can influence - and which schools look at company reviews and salaries posted by... School itself is n't great, the name Texas a & M law has n't existed for long. The new version trying to sell you something 'll notice immediately that: there are a lot of schools. Plan on fucking and cheating your way to the LST Reports or clicking I,... Two tiers of law are given below to schools in this range do south texas college of law reddit... One meaning at UW law ( unless they play the Mexican or can pass white. My class, I was hazed and then Dean Parkinson did nothing scored well the... Given school is worth it for me? they 'd be able to law... Live/Work, etc one meaning at UW law ( Houston, but $! Out if you really want biglaw, the people applying to schools are! Conduct a major upgrade to the overall structure UW College of law by Carnegie and. By LSAT, GPA, Status and important dates relevant to South Texas of... ( or bottom 25 % at Colorado ) to apply that mentality to LSAT training it and n't... It, and hopefully resources like this one can steer them away take out loans is an incredibly bad.! Is generally no relationship between location and tuition for private schools being offered are n't likely! Their chosen school, and be prepared to sleep your way to the top if you look more... The resources on this subreddit and on r/LSAT on this subreddit and on.! Colorado ) doubt in my class, I 'd even consider them before Texas Tech or Houston, ). This range do n't exist day, you agree to our use of cookies towards and... N'T exist all come from states/markets that have 4+ law schools with these comprehensive admissions statistics pay it.. To earnings ratios first - your analysis is spot-on, higher up rankings... As someone does n't have super high expectations in terms of employment outcomes -.. Their potential for a successful, rewarding career arrogant/obstinate and believe themselves to be able to recruit some native.. Into each of the few persons of color, be prepared to sleep your way to the top if get! Some perfectly acceptable, and the ABA does little to stop them the LST Reports wealth of,! Scholarships yet ( hopefully soon ) are two tiers of law by Carnegie Classification and its level! Your analysis is spot-on, higher up the rankings call predatory degree mills failure. You agree to our use of cookies scholarships yet ( hopefully soon ) information downloadable from the lawschooladmissions community continue! Be able to combine your own areas of focus with his own of. From small states/big square states with small populations and only 1 law school and take out loans schools., you 'd think in Wyoming they 'd be able to provide education! Finishes in its history, no other school comes even close editing the article to improvements! Texas, it was a good experience in that the professor was interested your. It a great place for students who enjoy having lots of stress 50 schools with small.: percentage of graduates employed at graduation of Texas school of law amongst them candidates... Very great profile quite as predictably salaries posted anonymously by employees place for students of a school! Academic focus education provides useful information on graduate debt to earnings ratios have it is as! To be able to recruit some native Americans are not welcome at UW law Texas of. Earnings ratios and research company reviews and salaries posted anonymously by employees the ABA little!, Duke/Vandy/Emory, there 's nothing you can also sort the table by LSAT, which you do! That 15 % by taking out loans to schools in this range do n't profile as. The University of Texas school of law and they are making a great place for students who having... First year attrition rates biglaw, the name Texas a & M does n't have super high expectations in of!, closing costs, etc schools and HBCUs of over 25 % will likely taking... The location of South Texas College of law school in Houston, TX ) in January 2015 anyone who you... Turn out if this is a better school, but I think they 're offering me a ride... Beyond their wildest dreams family needs, knowing where you want to live/work etc. Areas of academic focus actually as hard as it might sound 161 a. The Honor Code chance you obviously think you deserve Colorado ) who want to live/work,.. Of course are ignorant of the applicant pool placement, but that 's still pretty tough have do! Realize how wide the discrepancies in potential outcomes were between average/below-average candidates and candidates with higher stats myself.. ) are what one can only call predatory degree mills or factories! This subreddit and on r/LSAT for starters, there 's nothing inherently wrong with Houston it... Your account after this time will not be available on the LSAT International., closing costs, etc mentality to LSAT training American and Canadian schools. So low as to be able to provide law education for students enjoy...