See the SSI Spotlight on, For more information, see the SSI Spotlight on. In addition, if you are receiving SSI benefits, you may be able to receive subsidized housing. $281 (the PMV of in-kind support and maintenance) If you pay less than $400, then you would be receiving in-kind support and maintenance. Mary (not verified). You also can get up to the maximum if you live in someone else's household So I'm trying to determine which household expenses I'm responsible for, and how many people I should be dividing by to calculate my "fair share"? If your boyfriend can qualify for SSI, your total resource allowance is $3,000 for the two of you, and the base rate for SSI would go from $674 for an individual to $1,011 for a couple. Disability-Benefits-Help.org is not a lawyer or law firm. Generally, people who live in institutions such as hospitals, nursing homes, prisons or jails are not eligible for SSI or are only eligible for a maximum of $30 a month (some States supplement this $30 benefit). Allison (not verified). We figure your benefit amount the same as we do for a person who lives in his own house, apartment, or mobile home.      -$280.00 (countable Social Security benefits) Your living arrangement also depends on who pays for your food and shelter. Your living arrangement also depends on who pays for your food and shelter. When he was younger he got social security benefits but they stopped at 18. My daughter is severely by Hi Char, My daughter just turned 18 and qualified for SSI. We do not consider items you receive that you cannot use for food or shelter as income. Her fair share is very low due to my home is paid off. Here are the steps we use to figure the SSI benefit amount. We would apply the one-third reduction rule and the $783 would be reduced by $261.00, so your SSI benefit would be $522.00. No. I have now moved back in with my parents and I need to know how much I have to pay for my fair share in order to continue receiving full benefits? Suppose you live in a house owned by your sister who allows you to live there rent-free. The maximum benefit amount that your child can get under SSI is the federal benefit rate (FBR), which changes every year. Because there are 4 people in the household, your share of the expenses is $400 per month. However, we count payment of the $100 electric bill as in-kind support and maintenance. If you live in your own place and pay your own food and shelter costs, regardless of whether you own or rent, you may get up to the maximum Supplemental Security Income (SSI) amount payable in your State. By requesting a free evaluation, the user will be provided with the name of an independent lawyer or advocate who will contact the user to do the evaluation. Your living arrangement is another factor used to determine how much Supplemental Security Income (SSI) you can get. We determine that the house would rent for $900 per month if your sister rented it on the open market. We do not count the payment of the phone bill or the cable television bill as in-kind support and maintenance so these payments do not affect your SSI benefits. The SSI Federal Benefit Rate is $783.00. Hi there, August is Spinal Muscular Atrophy Awareness Month. On there you can apply right now and find out if you qualify. If you pay your full share of $400 for the household expenses there would be no reduction of your benefit and you would get the full $783 in your SSI check. I am going to have him apply for Disability; however, since he lives w/us do they qualify him by our income also? Generally, they do not. Whether you live alone or with someone else, we need to know who pays for your food, shelter, and utilities. For example, if someone helps pay for your rent, mortgage, food, or utilities, we reduce the amount of your SSI benefits. This is likely why it was mentioned. Thank you for your time. I've been receiving full SSI Disability for the past 5 yrs, while living in my own apartment/paying all my own bills. The PMV is equal to 1/3 of the Federal benefit rate plus $20. However, there are some exceptions. To qualify for Social Security disability, you must expect to be disabled for at least 12 months. 5. Neither this site nor any lawyer or advocate associated with it is affiliated in any way with or endorsed by the Social Security Administration. This website is produced and published at U.S. taxpayer expense. I understand this includes rent, mortgage, gas, electricity, water, food etc. (www.ssa.gov) ON THE INTERNET,OR CONTACT YOUR LOCAL SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE. This leaves $80 as countable in-kind support and maintenance. You may want to contact a local SSA office regarding this as they can go over the details with you and make any changes that they would need to do. We will make arrangements to pay you. household and don't pay your food and shelter costs or pay only part of your How Long Does it Take to Be Approved for Disability Benefits? Will my SSI check go down if I live with a family member, mother, brother, sister, etc?