Born into a powerful and influential family he was the son of Count William I of Burgundy and his wife Stephanie. Born into a powerful and influential family, he was the son of Count William I of Burgundy and Stephanie of Longwy-Metz, and brother to Reginald II, Count of Burgundy and Pope Callixtus II. HRE Ferdinand I's 9-Great Grandfather. Stephen (Etienne) III of BURGUNDY. Count of AUXONNE; d' IVREA; de BOURGOGNE-COMTE. Sybilla (or Maud), married (1080) Eudes I of Burgundy; Gisela of Burgundy, married (1090) Humbert II of Savoy and then Renier I of Montferrat. 1 Stephen's father was William I The Great Count Of Burgundy and his mother was Stephanie Of Longwy. William married a woman named Stephanie [fr] (a.k.a. He was buried in Besançon's Cathedral of St John. William I (1020 – 12 November 1087), called the Great (le Grand or Tête Hardie, "the Stubborn"), was Count of Burgundy from 1057 to 1087 and Mâcon from 1078 to 1087. Stephen I (1065–1102), Count Palatine of Burgundy, alias "bold head" (fr tête hardie), was Count of Burgundy and Count of Mâcon and Vienne. His paternal grandparents were Raynald I Count Of Burgundy and Alice of Normandy; his maternal grandparents were Adalbert II Duke Of Upper Lorraine and Clemencia De FOX. U.S. President [MONROE] 's 23-Great Grandfather. 1171 Died: 1241. He was Count of Burgundy and Count of Mâcon and Vienne. HM George I's 13-Great Grandfather. He was a son of Renaud I and Alice of Normandy, daughter of Richard II, Duke of Normandy. Raymond of Burgundy who married Urraca of León and Castile and thus was given the government of Galicia (Spain) (died 1107). Stephen I, Count Palatine of Burgundy, shared his father's nickname "the Rash" . William was the father of several notable children, including Pope Callixtus II. Stephen was born about 1055. Born: abt. His younger brothers were Reginald II Count of Burgundy and Pope Callixtus II. Stephen I (1065–1102), Count Palatine of Burgundy, sharing his father's nickname "the Rash" (French tête hardie), was Count of Burgundy and Count of Mâcon and Vienne. Stephen I (1065–1102), Count Palatine of Burgundy, sharing his father's nickname "the Rash" (French "tête hardie"), was Count of Burgundy and Count of Mâcon and Vienne.. Born into a powerful and influential family, he was the son of Count William I of Burgundy and Stephanie of Longwy-Metz, and younger brother to Reginald II, Count of Burgundy and Pope Callixtus II. Etiennette). Stephen I, Count of Burgundy. PM Churchill's 21-Great Grandfather. [1], Portail sur Histoire Bourgogne et Histoire Franche-Comté, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=William_I,_Count_of_Burgundy&oldid=971623877, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Stephanie married Lambert, lord of Peyrins, brother of, This page was last edited on 7 August 2020, at 08:04. In 1057, he succeeded his father and reigned over a territory larger than that of the Franche-Comté itself. Stephen I Count Palatine of Burgundy shared his father's nickname the Rash. In 1087, he died in Besançon, Prince-Archbishopric of Besançon, Holy Roman Empire -- an independent city within the County of Burgundy. Stephen I, successor to Renaud II, Stephen died on the Crusade of 1101.