Recipes From Secrets of Healthy Cooking . Sweet potato fries and curried yogurt dip: A family-friendly, nutritional powerhouse side dish. They can be made with smooth or chunky almond butter. This fancy-looking recipe is shockingly easy: Blitz your crust ingredients in the food processor and bake for 20 minutes, then pour your filling mixture on top and bake for 20 minutes more. All Right Reserved. With the country’s future hanging in the balance, it’s a pretty appropriate time for some serious stress-baking. Because the starter should be living, it needs to be fed (it's basically my pet right now). These are just like the classic recipe you find on the back of the box, but with a higher marshmallow-to-cereal ratio and the flavor-boosting additions of vanilla and sea salt. These are a departure from the other PB cookies on this list, given they call for Bisquick pancake mix of all things. I am not, and never have been, much of a baker—but I did start making sourdough bread a couple years ago after an inspiring conversation with a local bread maker. Cinnamon and/or chocolate chips optional. We've got you covered. Here's what I've been making—from sourdough bread to a whole roast chicken—to help inspire you to spend some time in the kitchen. Similar to sourdough bread, the steps to making kimchi are actually simple and accessible. All this is to say, try to cure salmon and make your own lox if you are interested in a fun breakfast (or lunch or dinner). The best part? One tip: last week when I made the bread pictured above, I opted to let the dough proof overnight in the refrigerator, rather than for a few hours at room temperature. This is one of the more involved recipes here, since it requires rolling out the dough and cutting out the biscuits. Why make ingredients lists any longer than they need to be? SELF may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. These rich and buttery little cookie balls are reminiscent of pecan sandies. Why Cooking Is the Ultimate Stress Reliever. Game changing. This one is perfect for people who are avoiding animal products—or, ya know, just happen to not have any eggs or butter in their fridge at the moment. Top with fresh or thawed frozen berries, or really whatever fruit you have around. That leaves dry beans, well-stocked and ready for the taking. Leftover roasted chicken can be used to make chicken salad, chicken stir-fry, or chicken soup. Because stress-baking shouldn’t be stressful. By Charlotte Rudge. If you’ve got a box just sitting in your pantry, you have to give these a shot. It's essential for low-stress cooking. If you’re in need of some ridiculously easy baking recipes at the moment, we get it. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20) and Your California Privacy Rights. Also, learning to spatchcock will make you feel like a butcher, which is a fun confidence boost. If you’ve got a bag of shredded coconut on hand, do yourself a favor and make these surprisingly easy macaroons—crispy and golden brown on the outside, sweet and chewy on the inside. There are a staggering 15 different ways to spruce up this muffins (if you please), including cinnamon, blueberry, raisin, vegan, chocolate chip, and lime versions. All rights reserved. Honestly, this is barely a baking recipe—the only heat involved is melting the chocolate with a double boiler or in the microwave. Then, I spread this on a skin-on salmon fillet and refrigerated for three days. Got a box of cake mix on hand but none of the wet ingredients? A mixture of honey and almond butter makes for a yummy alternative. During periods of high stress (like the current coronavirus outbreak), activities like baking can alleviate anxiety. "They're meditative, and I … These classic PB cookies are chewy, sweet, salty, and perfect. Stress Free Cooking with Barbara Seeling-Brown | All rights reserved. The mere thought of a lengthy ingredients list is, honestly, a bit stress-inducing in and of itself. SELF does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you know how to prepare them, they can be the most delicious as well. "A cast-iron skillet can help with organization as you only need this one pan to carry out many different applications, and it can save you money and time in the long-run," says Executive Chef Zachary Walrath of The Florentine . However, we can do ourselves a favor by filling our time with things we love and that make us happy. Any information published on this website or by this brand is not intended as a substitute for medical advice, and you should not take any action before consulting with a healthcare professional. My roommates and I share a winter CSA (learn how to find, join and enjoy a CSA near you), so we have plenty of cabbage. These yummy baking recipes keep things refreshingly uncomplicated: They all call for no more than five ingredients. 16 Calming Teas We’re Self-Soothing With This Month, 8 Healthy No-Cook Meals That Are Actually Just a Bunch of Snacks. They only take 15 minutes to bake. These actually have three ingredients if you add the optional chocolate chips (which you most definitely should). Up next on my list are our Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (which is only five ingredients, folks), as well as some Baked Banana-Nut Oatmeal Cups to finally use up the bananas I have hoarded in my freezer. You can use any random sprinkles you have sitting in the back of the cupboard—rainbow, chocolate, nonpareils, coarse sugar—to make these dainty little cookies. But after watching a few YouTube videos and reading our Homemade Kimchi recipe, I felt ready to take on the challenge. What Should You Eat If You Come Down with Coronavirus? But they’re still the simplest flaky biscuits you’re ever going to make, only requiring flour, buttermilk, and butter. Oats and overripe bananas are a match made in flourless cookie heaven. (A handful of the recipes call for less ubiquitous but still relatively common ingredients, like almond flour, shredded coconut, and dates.). "I've always enjoyed cooking and baking, but now these activities seem more cathartic than ever," she says. They’re chewy, crispy, and chocolatey. These soft cookies take just six to eight minutes to bake and will satisfy a sweet-and-salty craving. Advice and step by step with photos to help your cooking process! Cured salmon is delicious and, in some cases, can be ready in one day, like our Cardamom-Cured Salmon Gravlax. What makes sourdough bread so special is the starter: a leavening agent that takes the place of yeast and is made with just flour, water and time. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our, Just Like Grandma Used to Make: Why We're Craving Grandma's Cooking Now More Than Ever, How to Make Those Viral Hot Chocolate Bombs at Home. (Full disclosure: A few provide optional add-ins or variations that would take the count over five.) 5-Ingredient Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie, Five-Ingredient Chocolate Cheesecakes Cups, Amazingly Wholesome 5-Ingredient Banana Bread Muffins, 5-Ingredient Almond Cake With Fresh Berries, 3-Ingredient Gluten-Free Rice Crispy Treats, Magic 4-Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies, 4-Ingredient Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies. Top with everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic flakes, or dried onion flakes if you have one of those in your pantry. For me, that's cooking and I (clearly) have been taking advantage of all of the time I've had to do it. The recipe calls for sweetened condensed coconut milk, a staple for vegan bakers, but you could sub in the regular kind. I opted for another flavor profile with my dill-beet cured salmon, pictured above on our shockingly easy Two-Ingredient Bagels. If you’re in need of some ridiculously easy baking recipes at the moment, we get it. I have very little experience fermenting anything, so kimchi felt intimidating. And given how freaking exhausting this election and 2020 in general have been, extremely simple, low-effort recipes are about all we can handle right now. It had a beautiful deep red color, and nice earthy flavor. My all time favorite savory bagel sandwich: classic lox. These unconventional chocolate chip cookies are made with a whole jar of nut butter (whatever kind you like), meaning they’re positively packed with filling fat and fiber—plus tons of chocolate chips, of course. Discover new workout ideas, healthy-eating recipes, makeup looks, skin-care advice, the best beauty products and tips, trends, and more from SELF. © 2020 Condé Nast. 05/04/2017 12:48 am ET. Related: 10 Things I Wish I Had Known When I Started Cooking at Home. Lately, though, I have made a few pantry desserts out of desperation for something sweet. Most of us are active with work and play and want to eat well, but living a busy life and achieving a healthy diet can be a daunting feat. To get started, check out How to Cook Dried Beans. Stuffed Artichokes. Nov 4, 2020; This family-friendly recipe is a perfect, quick weeknight option that even the kids will love. © 2020 EatingWell.com is part of the Allrecipes Food Group. (You have to beat eggs and sugar together for 8 to 10 minutes until fluffy, so you’ll need a standing or handheld mixer.). The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Featured Recipes. You just need four ingredients and a few minutes to get these cookies into the oven. Jump on the latest food trend with our step-by-step guide to making hot chocolate bombs. Offers may be subject to change without notice. Turns out chocolatey cheesecake perfection is totally achievable at home—with a significantly shorter ingredients list (baking chocolate, cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, and an egg) and bake time (50 minutes) than is typical. If you have the time to spend (and it will take several days), you can make a homemade loaf of bread as well. Related: 10 Things I Wish I Had Known When I Started Cooking at Home. Importantly, these 37 easy baking recipes are also hard to mess up, since there aren’t finicky techniques or tedious steps involved. (This recipe actually has six ingredients, but one of them is a pinch of salt!). Get Stress Free Cookbook here, $19.95. 6 Recipes to Help You Tackle Your Stress-Cooking Needs. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Already I can see bubbles forming—so far, so good. Italian Style Meatloaf or Meatballs. One of our food editors inspired me with a gorgeous Instagram story making our No-Oat Apple Crisp in individual ramekins for a solo serving. Why waste any time scooping dough into a bunch of little balls when you can just press it all into a skillet? Dipping them in dark chocolate after baking adds a fancy, decadent touch without too much extra work—just melt the chocolate in the microwave and dip away. Here's what I've been making—from sourdough bread to a whole roast chicken—to help inspire you to spend some time in the kitchen. Personally, being in quarantine has led me to totally love dried beans, because I can infuse them with flavors that canned beans just don't have.