After the first turn is complete, add all your sesame seeds and mix them into the dough by cutting them in the dough with your fingers. Make it your little inventory. They should flatten, but only slightly if you’ve developed some good tension during the initial shaping. Using a metal bench scraper, divide the dough into 3 equal-sized pieces. https://www.theperfectloaf.com/tartine-sourdough-recipe-slightly-modified I also like to rotate the loaf halfway through to ensure even browning. Quickly take out the shallow half of your hot combo cooker (careful here, this thing is smokin’) and drag into it the parchment paper holding the dough. You can register all of them. This is your levain. Would it be too intense of a flavor? If you see any large bubbles on the surface of the dough, pop them so they don’t end up in the final bread. Flour the top of one of the boules and flip it over with your lightly floured hand and dough knife. Remember you’ll be adding in a cup of sesame seeds so you’ll need a bit more room than usual. TO SHAPE A BATARD (a short, oval-shaped loaf), use the following steps: Gently spread the dough into a wide rectangle, then fold the third of the dough closest to you over the middle. Make sure your surface doesn’t have too much excess flour on it, then place down one of your dough pieces with the unfloured side facing down. I had to add about a tablespoon or so. As you slightly pick up the dough and spin it, the bottom snags the unfloured work surface and creates tension. I’m not sure if the sesame contributed somehow here, or perhaps I baked it a tad darker than usual, but I really enjoy the crunchy thin crust here. In this video, I show you how to make my version of Tartine Bakery’s Basic Country Bread. If it smells incredibly vinegary you probably have a very active starter and have let it go too far. Again,  next time I’ll try reducing the number of sesame seeds. I decided to bake Tartine’s Country Sesame and find out. Place towels into small mixing bowls and dust with white rice flour (pretty heavily). Transfer your bannetons to food-safe plastic bags, and seal the bags to prevent the dough from drying out. The dough will be sticky and … These bowls will hold the dough as they proof in the fridge overnight. Flip one half over with your dough knife and your hand, then gently bend the 4 sides of the dough from under to the top. To perform stretch and folds, grab a small piece of the dough from underneath, and stretch it as far as it’ll go without tearing, then fold it over itself. Repeat that process a few more times until you feel some tension develop on the outer surface and the dough and it maintains its round shape. This coaxes even more flavor out and takes the raw edge off. Thank you Craig. If they spread out too thin, you can give them another round of shaping, as we just did, to develop some more tension. I was anxious to bake something as my bread supplies started to dwindle and it’s a travesty when we are cooking something great at home and don’t have a slice of sourdough to accompany. I then rolled the top (the part of the dough that will eventually be the top after baking) of the boule on top of a kitchen towel I laid out with a thin coat of sesame seeds. The stretch up and down on itself is what gives the dough strength by developing the gluten. If you use this recipe, tag @maurizio on Instagram and use the hashtag #theperfectloaf so I can take a look! This creates a thicker portion in the middle of the loaf, which then tapers out toward the edges. This time, after the stretch and folds are completed, flip the dough over in the container. Very versatile. I do this several times to create a very taught surface on the top of the boule. The following formula reflects my constant tinkering in an attempt at producing more oven spring with my bread. My exposure to sesame seeds has been limited to probably the same foods as most people: hamburger buns, crackers, sprinkled on top a loaf of bread here and there, Asian and Indian food… While I do love the rich taste they bring to buns and other bread, I was a bit skeptical of how they would taste baked throughout a loaf of sourdough. Take the dough out of the container onto your unfloured work surface and sprinkle some flour on top before dividing. Place the loaves into your refrigerator to allow them to proof for anywhere from 3-12 hours. I always make one half slightly larger than the other to shape into a longer loaf (batard). I knew baking my version would go well, but I didn’t realize it would go this well. This high lift, and somewhat forceful turn, builds gluten strength in your dough which helps it rise later in baking. ): In the morning preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C). I’ve noticed this is the “sweet spot” for my baking. I then place the pizza peel on top of the parchment paper (and bowl) and invert the whole thing quickly to get the dough out of the bowl and onto the paper and peel. Make sure you have plenty of space to work with, and get rid of any excess flour on your work surface. I prepared a sandwich with two slices of this Tartine Country Sesame, Moroccan chicken pulled and cut apart, aged Irish Cheddar, tomato & lettuce, and a small spread of grain mustard. DOWNLOAD MY FREE SOURDOUGH QUICK START GUIDE Includes everything you need to know to bake your first loaf of sourdough bread! Take the part of the dough that’s closest to you and fold it up and over in half. I’d wait at least one hour after baking is complete before you slice into it. Your work surface grabs the bottom of the dough slightly as you spin the dough around to make a little ball. Gather up your ingredients and let’s get baking. The recipe calls for 1 cup of unhulled sesame seeds, and looking through my kitchen pantry all I could muster was regular old hulled & toasted seeds. Please see my policy. At 3:00pm the dough in my bowl had risen at least 30% and there was some serious fermentation going on. Keep an eye on how your dough is developing and adjust your bulk times as necessary. Let the loaf continue baking until it reaches a deep, dark brown color, with some hints of black charring on the edges, which should take about 15-20 minutes. 50g water + 50g flour mix (50/50 Bread/ Whole Wheat)