stream <> have. (*) have asked, He realized he ..... left it in the car before he reported it lost. (*) couldn't, I'd had scarcely any time to think about it before they ..... me for my opinion. For Example: During the movie, Sam stood up and then dropped his popcorn. I shut the door, when the telephone rang. endobj x��\mk�6��_�υ�i���B.���@@�+�����J�F���ƻ+{}mY��j-��̣����f�~����C� ����~�n�ӏ2����_ If you have two or more time periods, start a new clause or a new sentence. endobj In addition, English is only formally acquired in schools. t�^� JjY��"��-[,so�65�n�>�p _��( �S�6�D�+���I|y{����T�0��ZMoq� (*) was (*) has feel. am feeling. felt. Because it happened in the past, 'bike' should not be in present tense. endobj '�aO����],��p�wD.͑خaM�2���a�s����-��W��eM��V�ٱ}��ܖ�Z�dQw��f����6$5���V����wd��^��F��Ŕ� <>>> 13 0 obj (*) didn't (*) mention (*) mentioning stream 4 0 obj (*) is convincing << /Filter /FlateDecode /Length 2126 >> endobj As a writer, you want your reader’s experience to be as smooth as possible. Tense Agreement. (*) did Tense Disagreement I bike to class last Monday, but today I am taking the bus. (*) aren't You don't want to have one time period being described in two different tenses . ���.8��b4!����e��Яܶo����-2o�I�%�(OQy&;��w�P��~d�e$�Lҩ�8�j]��{�D �JҒ%)LO (*) have (*) had, It ..... a great shock to everyone because he hadn't said a word for 10 years. endstream Tense and concord are two concepts that are central to English grammar and to our understanding of how English sentences can be effectively used to convey our thoughts. <> %PDF-1.5 (*) is Do you like our tests? CQ6�N�Njk�ٚ��e Jz 9��kx�Um�}��Kv$� lv(�{�w���r����R��۹���iH�k*r�D�~%i�GƜJ�b^$5+�ΏW��Hg :��ꦗW ��-�X��X�v[���>�%�g%.B�a��k�����sXW�}x����w_��e���-Ĺ�m(�7����܇���]�����i�z%�iɢ��b��z���'��Ŕ�. <>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI] >>/MediaBox[ 0 0 595.32 841.92] /Contents 4 0 R/Group<>/Tabs/S/StructParents 0>> x�c```b``������.� � `63+���anrC�%ߐ��O�|I��20��i�Va� �:?���p�� ~�6��`X�`��Ӡ�8.�_��JW�� Tense Agreement. << /Type /XRef /Length 88 /Filter /FlateDecode /DecodeParms << /Columns 5 /Predictor 12 >> /W [ 1 3 1 ] /Index [ 8 49 ] /Info 29 0 R /Root 10 0 R /Size 57 /Prev 100507 /ID [<5c43146469055978e4016a4dac045e09><5c43146469055978e4016a4dac045e09>] >> (*) was, The witness ..... everyone that he hadn't had anything to do with the crime. %PDF-1.5 (*) wouldn't, Actually I had ..... it to her before we set out. (*) is have felt. (*) will be (*) asked (*) felt 11 0 obj (*) had, By the time I had reached the bottom of the mountain, I ..... extremely tired. (*) hadn't (*) had Also See: Tense Agreement Exercise Verb Tenses Chart Subject Verb Agreement Quick Exercise Here are some examples of sentences with tense disagreement. That ease is why you don’t want sentences like this one: I am eating lunch when you called me. (*) has convinced, We asked him why he ..... telephoned earlier. (*) hasn't (*) had asked 3 0 obj (*) didn't x�cbd`�g`b``8 "����� �q�4 ���A$'XD�m�f��H��`v0�dg� Ad���$}΀٭L��*�md`�$ ��� << /Contents 13 0 R /MediaBox [ 0 0 612 792 ] /Parent 40 0 R /Resources << /ExtGState << /G3 30 0 R /G8 35 0 R >> /Font << /F10 37 0 R /F11 38 0 R /F4 31 0 R /F5 32 0 R /F6 33 0 R /F7 34 0 R /F9 36 0 R >> /ProcSet [ /PDF /Text /ImageB /ImageC /ImageI ] >> /StructParents 0 /Type /Page >> (*) haven't 10 0 obj had. The first verb is in the present tense, and the second verb is in the past tense, but switching between tenses isn’t usually allowed. 2 By the time I had reached the bottom of the mountain, I ..... extremely tired. << /Linearized 1 /L 100820 /H [ 927 190 ] /O 12 /E 83516 /N 3 /T 100506 >> I shut the door, when the telephone rang. endobj 8 0 obj << /Filter /FlateDecode /S 63 /Length 111 >> (*) mentions Tense Agreement Verb tense refers to keeping the same tense throughout a clause. x��ZYo�H~��Џ1d7υ!�v��,f2���� KT� Ejؤ���[U}��Դ� lKdU�u|U�������o��|b�j�>=�����>~Y��������?d\?�Yg~�����w������ݟ��ӗE�}],����,b�{���Bx��%�~��bާ���޿{�-p��HB?��k���X���#c#Z��f����X did. (*) did ask (*) convinced Correct them so that the tenses match. (*) convinces stream endobj will. (*) hadn't Correct past tense past tense During the movie, Sam stands up and then drops … (*) feel (*) am feeling, When he was only thirty years old, he ..... already experienced what most people only experience when they are much older. %���� 12 0 obj (*) will endobj (*) have felt (*) wouldn't Purchase photocopiable PDF Purchase photocopiable PDF Please choose the most appropriate answer for each sentence. (*) are. 9 0 obj 2 0 obj Cx��i������Or��︂= W:,��̈mǑ���L��P,�t\�i�}q�����K� ��A�_��ՠn�|P�A�������V�[9x�l��fP��b$z�(�����V���-�3�R���t:X�~x}x��C@���$X>�~ ,������{�%p�ȹ����o�������q��H˄��Y��0���\?�s��\�ޤ��tc�������T�K&ÞqGf/����2����. In second language situation such as Namibia and other parts of Africa, the English language is superimposed on our indigenous languages. (*) mentioned, I must admit I ..... thought how the story would finish before I read the book. If you feel confused by that sentence, you’re right. Check out our shop! stream 1 0 obj We have ESL, TOEIC, TOEFL test compilations and much more. %���� endobj << /Pages 40 0 R /Type /Catalog >> endstream (*) has