You cooked, strain and mash the beans into a creamy puree. And we’re truly humbled by your comments. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/.../10951518/Greek-moussaka-recipe.html Bread the zucchini as you'd do with the eggplant and bake for the same amount of time. If there are a few lumps at first, you’ll find they will dissolve into the sauce by the time you’ve added all the milk. I made a moussaka recipe before once a long time ago. Bring to a simmer, then season to taste, take off the heat and set aside until needed. This gives it time to ‘firm up’ slightly and the individual pieces will be easier to serve. x, Tu as raison, Eva – les aubergines ne sont pas toujours faciles! It can take a little while to make, but this recipe makes it easy. IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON BY LEAVING A COMMENT AND RATING BELOW… AND DON’T FORGET TO SIGN UP TO RECEIVE ALL MY NEW RECIPES BY EMAIL! toasted bread drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt, Baked chicken spaghetti (freezer meal) - Scrummy Lane, 5-minute white chocolate pots de crème - Scrummy Lane, How to make a Greek salad (with video) - Scrummy Lane, Easy Ground Beef Recipes (over 40!) Reserve. Do not bring it to a boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. My family ate in complete silence and, if you knew them, you would know that that was a rare occasion! But that’s just me…. I’ve never found my roasted eggplant to taste bitter! (Photo 4) Roast the eggplant/aubergine for about 25 minutes until soft. I often buy it at a farmer’s market, which has great quality local meat. Warm a griddle pan over a high heat and brush a little oil over the aubergines. I cannot thank you enough for this recipe. It sounds like you might have plenty of mouths to eat it all up in one go, but I find it goes quite a long way when you serve it with bread and Greek salad on the side. Let the flour cook for a minute but do not allow it to brown. It is a lovely recipe which my husband says tastes just like the moussaka we had in Messini this year. I kept trying different Moussaka recipes, trying to find one that made Moussaka as good as what I had in a local Greek restaurant. https://www.themediterraneandish.com/vegetarian-moussaka-recipe Put the pan back on the heat and stir until the sauce has thickened and is just bubbling. Using a sharp peeler, partially peel the eggplants, leaving strips of peel about 1-inch wide around the eggplant. I was amazed by how little time I needed to prepare the moussaka: I really though it would take much longer. 11. Just a big bowl of local tomatoes is enough to propel you into food heaven over there! It will still be hot, but the pieces will hold together better when you serve them. Thanks so much for bringing a taste of Greece to a one bed council flat in Hull! Rinse the eggplant slices with abundant water and dry with paper towels. I would much rather make these amazing Greek potatoes (and trust me, they really are amazing!) I’m sooo happy you enjoyed this recipe! When the eggplant is finished cooking, set aside and lower the oven temperature to 350 F. Gather the ingredients for the meat filling. I have been on a quest to find the best moussaka recipe for years. Thank you so much for reporting back, Kathy! Lay the slices of eggplant on paper towels, sprinkle lightly with salt, and set aside for 30 minutes to … Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes. Home » Greek » Easy moussaka recipe (ultimate guide!). Let the potato slices drain on kitchen paper. It is a superb chicken, rice and lemon soup. I chose to base my recipe on that one simply because it was an easy version… but tasted really rich and delicious. Drain. You can use a baking dish that’s a bit smaller than 12 by 9 inches if that’s what you have, but don’t use a larger dish than this. What else?! I bet you are very familiar with tzatziki, the minty yogurt and cucumber dip. If you just need half of the servings, go ahead and make the full recipe but use two smaller baking dishes instead of a large one. (Photos 6-8) Pour the bechamel sauce over the top and spread out evenly. Fry the mince for 5 mins or until cooked through and starting to char. Looks delicious! Well I am sure that this moussaka recipe would be on your list. I am going to try some of the other greek dishes too. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/24/how-to-cook-moussaka-recipe And let’s not forget Greek wines! You must!! 4. . Learn how your comment data is processed. Take the first pile and line the bottom of a 12 x 9 inch baking dish with them. Place the colander in the sink and let the eggplants bleed for 1 hour—15 to 20 minutes minimum. It is actually two thirds of a cup, but I’m sure 1 cup would be fine too. Or if you’re just enjoying the whole Greek food vibe in this post, you might like to check out my Greek recipes archives! It is called retsina and I love by the way. Thanks so much for the review! I often assemble my beef moussaka in the morning, then pop it in the fridge until evening. In a medium saucepan, slightly warm up the milk, without boiling it. Once cool enough to handle, cut the boiled potatoes into thick slices. Tried making your mousakka tonight. You’ve got to put that one right! 10 %, , divided (or to taste, I use seasoned salt). Reheat at 355F/180C for about 25 minutes. (Photo 2) Spoon over about half of the meat sauce. Place the breaded eggplant slices on the foil-lined baking sheets and bake for 30 minutes, turning them over once during cooking. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Thank you so much for reading, and for adding your wonderful tips. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Top with another layer of eggplant slices and sprinkle once again with 1/4 of the grated cheese. Now to try something else….. Credits for this stunning moussaka recipe go to my 2 favorite Greek foodies Panos and Mirella who are behind the fantastic recipe website Little Cooking Tips! Moussaka is one of the most well known and traditional Greek recipes with as many versions as there are Greek yia-yias (grandmas!). Grill for 2-3 mins each side or until char lines appear. This was a really nice find. Fry them on both sides for 7 minutes. But my gosh was it tasty! I’m making this for my family tomorrow and serving it with a Greek salad. Oh and another food item that I discovered in Santorini: fava bean dip! I love everything about it – honestly my kind of comfort food. Oooh yes, once you’ve discovered cinnamon in beef bolognese, you never look back . Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. (Photos 2-3) Lay the eggplant/aubergine slices on baking trays in 1 layer (it’s OK if they overlap slightly). John. Sometimes (usually if we have leftovers the next day) I make some Greek potatoes, too. Slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch slices. You'll need 4 to 5 large zucchinis, but the rest of ingredients remain the same: Another delicious version of the zucchini mousaka involves simply sautéing the slices instead of breading and baking them. this is a neat recipe but as a greek who cooks mousaka let me give you the secret of the dish…it’s simply the bechamel,this considers if it’s a succesful,respectable piece of an original greek mousaka. (Photo 1) Soften onions in a bit of olive oil. This recipe yields between 6 to 8 generous servings of moussaka, more if you like smaller portions. Then put it on top of the layers of eggplant and potato. (Photos 4-5) Add the meat. Cover them with an inverted plate and weigh down the plate with a heavy can or jar. You’ll find the layers are a bit too thin if you do. Oh dear, I’m so sorry about your oven! Preheat oven to 375. Hi – Nice recipe. I bet you were feeling quite merry after dinner that day! The one headed for the freezer can't have béchamel on top—you'd need to make just half of the amount of béchamel for the moussaka you're actually baking. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. Pro tip: After you take your moussaka out of the oven, let it ‘rest’ for about 20 minutes. 8 large eggs (whites and yolks separated), 1 cup Kefalotyri cheese (Parmesan, or Pecorino Romano). Add parsley, tomato, tomato sauce, nutmeg, salt and pepper, and bouillon. I hope you like it! The frozen moussaka will keep well for up to 3 months. Smooth it with a spatula, then sprinkle over the rest of the cheese. kind regards You know those recipes that just ‘work’ for you? Take off the heat, then stir in the milk little by little. Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs. What a mess I made! Get the Cooks Professional Espresso Maker for just £39.99, Choose the type of message you'd like to post, Magazine subscription – save 44% and get a cookbook of your choice. Got leftovers in the fridge? You find yourself making them again and again, learning little tricks to improve the recipe along the way. I highly advise leaving your moussaka to ‘rest’ for 20 to 30 minutes after it’s come out of the oven. Posts may contain affiliate links. Add a final layer of eggplant/aubergine, then pour over the bechamel sauce. Smooth the béchamel on top with a spatula and sprinkle with remaining grated cheese. I’ve even made them a week or more ahead and frozen them. But anyway, really glad you enjoyed it, and I hope this makes it into your regular meal rotation! I was a little hesitant about the cinnamon, but it adds such an amazing flavor! Oops, sorry!