Again? I’ll always remember that look on your face. I really ejoyed this book. REPRESENTATION: Mexican-American (side characters), adopted child, gay men The Inexplicable Logic of my Life is another example of a wonderful book written by Sáenz with all the hallmarks of his writing – lyrical narrative, loveable characters, sensitive issues, and a story that stays with you. The main characters in The Inexplicable Logic of My Life aren’t flawless, it’s their faults that are making them interesting. Adult? You needed to learn how to forgive. This Study Guide consists of approximately 83 pages of chapter summaries, quotes, character analysis, themes, and more - everything you need to sharpen your knowledge of The Inexplicable Logic of My Life. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. In Sal, Sáenz gives his readers a young man equal parts strong, vulnerable, wise and loving.”  -. Review. At the same time, Sal befriends Fito, a streetwise teen trying to find his place in a world not of his own choosing. See, my dad said intelligent and beautiful things. Order our The Inexplicable Logic of My Life Study Guide. They are believably real people dealing with more than their share of tragedy. Those are just not things that I felt and I’m sorry if that upsets anyone. Part Two: Sometimes in the Night - WFTD = Nurture? We will never all agree on these things. We will never all agree on these things. You needed to learn how to … Without any saccharine elements or forced optimism or anything didactic, this story gently demonstrates how to become a better, more wholehearted person. The book is alllll about platonic friend relationships and it was really nice to see that with a trio of straight guy/straight girl/gay guy for a change. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. This section contains 2,991 words (approx. Yet there remain some few books whose power is such that they seem to trivialize any irritations with stylistic matters, shortcomings in the portrayal of the odd character, or some kind of discomfort with an aspect of the plot. The Lawrence branch will re-open Fri, Nov 13. THE INEXPLICABLE LOGIC OF MY LIFE. It’s one of my favourite books to this day, so of course, I was very excited to read Sáenz’s next YA fiction The Inexplicable Logic of my Life. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. You saw me. Of course, there were times that I cried and relived through some grief with Sal but Sam, Fito, and his dad were always there to catch us and bring us back into their comforting arms. Sal and Samantha show Fito that his life has purpose, just as they discover the same about their own lives. He says that he likes "keeping it calm" (4). Yet, despite some of the heavy issues that this book deals with I felt like I could always dive back in because I wanted to be surrounded by those characters. Though more happens in this book than in his other novel, The Inexplicable Logic of My Life is still at it’s core a story of self discovery. It's just that those characters also know how to take care of each other. A “mesmerizing, poetic exploration of family, friendship, love and loss” from the acclaimed author of, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Gr 9 Up—It is the first day of senior year, and Sal feels as if his life is exactly as it should be. Mil gracias Sr. Saenz! Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. It is also a truth that those who have had loss need to hear. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Sam is going through some really troubling relationships with abusive men and keeps having screaming matches with her mum. But it's senior year, and suddenly Sal is throwing punches, questioning everything, and realizing he no longer knows himself. I thought his overwhelming gentleness and kindness set the tone of the novel and loved how he was such a great driving force in Sal’s life. Another third of the way through and I realized my feelings had changed. I really can't justify giving any book five stars; five stars carry the implication of perfection . 8 pages at 400 words per page) View a FREE sample. Their ease with each other and their problems, their lack of negative reactions and mistakes, their ability to love and take care of each other, while good, didn't seem to provide enough conflict and drama for a moving story. The thing is, I didn’t know how to whistle. I would highly recommend this book to absolutely anyone. So why couldn’t I be like him? It proudly takes its place on the shelf with its author’s other fine novels, for Benjamin Alire Saenz is one of our best. Book Review: ACOTAR | Fun and Saucy but is it worth the hype? Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. It made me laugh and cry and squeal and lose sleep, and that's all I can say. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. He thinks that his friend Sam, who is expressive and dramatic, helps him feel more alive. Sal’s dad was neither of those things. Print Word PDF. Sadly, we don’t get a tonne of books over here in England that have Mexican or Mexican-American characters in them so I always look for opportunities to read more books like this, especially ones which are intersectional across different races, genders, and sexualities. There's a problem loading this menu right now. As mentioned above, I found the decision to have this particular story told from the perspective of a straight, white, guy interesting. Out of an abundance of caution due to Covid-19, Library branches may He also does not like change. I really ejoyed this book, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 6, 2018. Sal’s dad has to be the best father in any YA book ever, but he was still realistic. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. ( Log Out /  GENRE: YA Contemporary Parents need to know that The Inexplicable Logic of My Life is a beautifully written novel exploring big themes including death, loss, forgiveness, violence, homophobia, and ethnic identity.--Commonsensemedia.com. Lots of Big Feeling Stuff. Sal and Sam are constantly texting each other while in the same room, they all keep secrets from each other because that’s what friends do but then they support each other through their respective shit, they call each other out when they do crappy things but then make up in a healthy manner, they encourage each other to Feel Feelings and Talk About Things. Eighteen. Part Two: Me (In the Dark) - Sam and Me in the Dark. Me. But it's senior year, and suddenly Sal is throwing punches, questioning everything, and realizing he no longer knows himself. The narrative flows, the characters are true, and all the while, there is an underlying current of song. And I will always believe myself forever lucky to have picked that as my first.