Now that is how you do a prequel. Chapters can be a couple of lines or, in one case, a single word. Le premier jeu pour découvrir et apprendre les 6 couleurs de base, grâce à de gros pions faciles à fixer ! . Maybe as good as Savages, I don't know. I read this book in two days. Anyway, Chon admits to doing matinees at the Hotel Laguna, the Ritz, the St. Regis, and the Montage with not only tourist women but also Orange County Trophy Wives and divorcées—the difference between the two being strictly temporary. There was a problem loading your book clubs. The existing Open Comments threads will continue to exist for those who do not subscribe to Independent Premium. One way or another, they scheme and tough their way through this often gruesome, sometimes witty saga and into the future fates already devised for them.” —Tom Nolan, The Wall Street Journal“Blistering . . Log In. O thinks he looks even thinner than usual. I think this book is aptly named because it oozes cool. She points to a beautiful South Asian girl with shimmering black hair setting off her white beach dress. Yeah, no. . Chon shakes his head. Bienvenue dans la plus belle du Web ! There was absolutely nothing in that book to justify why the men would take that many risks for O who seemed nothing more than their common fuck buddy. A lot of characters. While Ben is the more verbal, O considers now, he’s also the less promiscuous. At times, The Kings of Cool verges on a kind of steel-tipped poetry, providing flashes of insight from perfectly carved sentences. Here, Winslow provides the background story of Savage's three main characters: Ben, Chon, and O. Ben and Chon sold marijuana in Laguna Beach, California, before running afoul of a vicious Mexican drug cartel, which abducted O, the dealers' mutual love interest, and ushered the pot-peddling trio into a sordid world of violence and corruption. Probably his weakest offering and not a patch on Savages. “Not my type.” “What is your type?” O asks, frustrated. The burqa ain’t gonna work for O. . gives background and back story to Mr. Winslow's novel Savages, published in 2010 and just made into a film by Oliver Stone. He seems to be stretching with this or fulfilling a contract after Savages was filmed. It’s a really good game when you’re high, which they are now, on some of Ben and Chon’s supremo weed. I dislike acronyms. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. VTECH - DigiArt - Magi Bureau Interactif 4 en 1 - Multicolore - Un super bureau parlant et musical 4 en 1 avec fonction écriture ! Avantages, offres et nouveautés en avant-première. Un globe interactif avec écran vidéo pour découvrir le monde en image ! Don't ask me why I read both, because the answer has to do with a personal problem I was running away from. Voici votre code personnel à coller en page de paiement, Découvrez les points de collectes près de chez vous. It almost breaks the flow of a very fast paced book. Be forewarned there’s lots of sex, drugs and violence. This book is sharp as a razor, edgy and hotter than July in the desert. Public Figure. Did, you know, the harem thing. Auto Suggestions are available once you type at least 3 letters. When the Association puts the squeeze on them – either pay protection or quit the game – Ben and Chom don't take kindly to these strong-arm tactics and refuse to play ball, resulting in an escalating turf war as compelling and believable as it is bloody and violent. He's too damn good to be polarizing. The author's style is very annoying. As the trio at the center of the book does battle with a cabal of drug dealers and crooked cops, they come to learn that their future is inextricably linked with their parents’ history. O can’t decide if that’s because he’s so ethical or because he just doesn’t give a fuck. This is a prequel, and it is fantastic. . Never the shower. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Returning to his biggest success in years, “Savages”, Don Winslow makes the trip backwards from that book to tell the story of how Ben, Chon and O got together in the first place, how they began their business, and a history of the Southern California (SoCal) drug trade starting in the 60s and which inexplicably involves all of their parents. Good, enjoyable, but he may have pushed his style a bit too far, Reviewed in the United States on August 8, 2015. This reads in the same fast paced, furious page turning, thrill a second style as Savages, and it's little shock I finished it within 24 hours! En poursuivant votre navigation, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies qui permettront notamment de vous offrir contenus, services, et publicités liés à vos centres d'intérêt. . The year is 2005, and we meet the younger versions of the inseparable best buds: Laguna Beach nice guy drug dealers Chon and John and their platonic best girl, O, short for Ophelia. Community See All. The chapters jump between story lines, places and decades. Or anyone! This prequel to "Savages" brings the same energy to the table, along with the unique format. Don Winslow's crackerjack Laguna Beach thriller The Kings of Cool . I was surprised by how much I liked Savages when I read it a couple summers ago and this book cemented that I need to immediately read all of Don Winslow's work. One of my many reasons for hating Savages was the idyllic nature of the relationship between the protagonists Ben, Chon and O (short for Ophelia). . Reviewed in the United States on May 21, 2013. To see what your friends thought of this book, PAQU = Passive Aggressive Queen of the Universe, In my opinion: no, it's a prequel.