God forgives any sin if we just seek Him and ask for forgiveness. Hate is, and the final form of hate is indifference… God’s wrath is not a cranky explosion, but his settled opposition to the cancer… which is eating out the insides of the human race he loves with his whole being.” (p.76), Keller describes the modern view of hell as God casting souls – those unfortunate ones who did not make the right choices in life before their time was up – into hell for all eternity… despite the pleas and cries for mercy. << /Type /Page /Parent 3 0 R /Resources 6 0 R /Contents 4 0 R /MediaBox [0 0 720 540] 1 John 1:5 I believe in a God of ”        “. I was with my oldest and only child, who was probably 3 at the time, and an acquaintance mentioned something about 'the devil,' and I said, "Oh, we don't believe in the devil or in hell." It was during those months of reading that I came to understand my place before God as a sinner who could do nothing to merit salvation, and that Jesus was not only the baby in the manger and the man who talked of loving your neighbor, but he was the man hanging on a cross for me and because of me. Even though I’ve read about the Rich Man and Lazarus many times, I never caught onto the idea that the guy didn’t ask to get out of hell. Office Hours: My only hope was that, in His goodness and compassion and mercy, God loved me so dearly that He rescued me from myself. ( Log Out /  I had never really understood why Jesus had to come to earth as a man until that point. Web. So many arguments against Biblical teachings are based on cultural beliefs. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” Romans 3:9-12. Several years later when I accepted Christ, I recalled that statement, and it haunted me so much that I found that person and corrected myself. Unable to endure the aspect of the being I had created, I rushed out of the room and continued a long time traversing my bedchamber, unable to compose my mind to sleep. But instead continues to complain to Abraham about his surroundings and even bully Lazarus, the beggar, just as he had during their lives on earth. Interestingly, Keller titles the chapter as a statement. First, GOD doesn’t consign us to Hell; WE DO – when we choose not to follow Him. I am enjoying reading your responses (the questions are great!) if I can, you can. Vivi's diagnosis It is either all of it or none. sophie - 2006 We see people who are self-absorbed, indulgent and ruthless. I'm still mulling it over. Don’t we want to teach them the one true way to live because we love them? Sometimes my pulse beat so quickly and hardly that I felt the palpitation of every artery; at others, I nearly sank to the ground through languor and extreme weakness. I guess I would agree that those who end up in hell choose it; they blatantly refuse to accept God on any level. But it seems somewhere along the way, we sort of grasped the 'love' concept, and then we became the jury, judge and executioner of all we believe to be wrong. "Chapter 5." This parallels what can be known of sin in everyday life. Fourthly, many Christians thinkers have argued that hell is essentially self-induced. How did you react to it? In this case however, he uses quotes to emphasize that this is an argument heard countless times, not merely a natural break in the chapter. I see hell as Milton describes it in Paradise Lost–not a fiery, hot, brimstone-y kind of place. 3835 Burton St SE I’ve been struggling for words after this chapter. If a person truly has never been presented the gospel, then I believe God does not automatically condemn them to eternity in hell for their “unbelief” when they die. Chapter 5 was a doozy! But I was not the witness of his grief, for I was lifeless and did not recover my senses for a long, long time. 5 0 obj endobj As it drew nearer I observed that it was the Swiss diligence; it stopped just where I was standing, and on the door being opened, I perceived Henry Clerval, who, on seeing me, instantly sprung out. I can’t pick and choose what to believe. I believe in eternal separation from God, simply as a continuation of the choice one makes to turn from him in this life. Amen. endobj As a few relatives and friends have died in the past year or two without knowing Christ, it hasn’t helped my heart to know that God was just and had lovingly offered them opportunities – which they rejected – to accept him. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Our ninth child and opening up the blog again... At Which Point We Nearly Went To See Jesus. Punishment for wrongs coming from a loving figure I can understand, so long as the motivation behind the punishment is out of love, but eternal hell? For this I had deprived myself of rest and health. November 12, 2020. By the by, I mean to lecture you a little upon their account myself. He responded. Out of that overflow of joy and gratitude comes the love and service to others. No soul that seriously and constantly desires joy will ever miss it,” struck me as interesting. They want 'freedom.' As we wrestle with our questions, may we trust that His sovereignty is perfectly balanced with His goodness. So if we can make things right in our little world, why would we need God to do that? Honestly, it wasn’t until I began really spending time in His Word that He began to reveal His true character to me, bit by bit. dear anonymous However, Keller also argues that the belief in a God of love is not found in other faiths, so the central tenant must have come from within Christianity. [ /ICCBased 15 0 R ] But, my dear Frankenstein,” continued he, stopping short and gazing full in my face, “I did not before remark how very ill you appear; so thin and pale; you look as if you had been watching for several nights.”, “You have guessed right; I have lately been so deeply engaged in one occupation that I have not allowed myself sufficient rest, as you see; but I hope, I sincerely hope, that all these employments are now at an end and that I am at length free.”. And the Bible tells us that their reward is here on Earth. I was surprised this wasn’t addressed in this chapter, but it’s certainly something I hear. What is the cause of all this?”. Psalm 119:105. More information and resources can be found here. Jesus, thank you for taking the wrath for my sin, and giving me the one and only way to escape eternal separation from God. vivienne - 2010 “but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” romans 5:20-21. I passed the night wretchedly. It occurred to me that I've never shared the wedding pictures, shame shame. This chapter reminded me that God is love, not me. As I’ve examined my heart and considered whether or not I was buying into bad theology, I think I’m ready to admit that I was seeing God as being just rather than loving. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Keller writes, “Hell is, as Lewis says, the greatest monument to human freedom.” (p.82) Ultimately, according to Keller, “All God does in the end with people is give them what they most want, including freedom from himself. Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S®6 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone. While the love of God depicted in the Bible is not controversial here in the West, the wrath of God is. Since God is such a loving God he has to be a just God also. The main impression I am left with after this chapter is that when we choose our own form of 'freedom' on Earth, we will continue to receive that 'freedom' for all eternity. “Do not ask me,” cried I, putting my hands before my eyes, for I thought I saw the dreaded spectre glide into the room; “HE can tell. Okay, it was a hit so I will share, with the disclaimer that in my opinion you just can't beat scalloped potatoes from the oven, but i... My sweet friend Stacy is hosting Christmas Frenzy for the third year! How can a loving God send people to Hell? I’ve struggled with the notion of God sending people to hell. Can you recall hearing a sermon on the wrath of God, the final judgment, and/or the doctrine of hell? (p.85) The real leap of faith comes when someone believes that God is love but judges no one. While, yes, there are questions swirling in my mind about this chapter, I think Keller’s words served to remind me of the amazing gift of God’s grace. 107 What does the cross do to God’s wrath? I have seen people living the very lives they describe – completely self-focused and self-absorbed, pursuing personal freedom at all cost – who are also some of the most unhappy and joyless people I know. I felt also sentiments of joy and affection revive in my bosom; my gloom disappeared, and in a short time I became as cheerful as before I was attacked by the fatal passion. I grasped his hand, and in a moment forgot my horror and misfortune; I felt suddenly, and for the first time during many months, calm and serene joy. At the End of the Chinese Rainbow: Our Journey to Patrick, Kenzie; Kooper; Kaeleb; Kambry; Kayden; Christmas, Kinley; Kooper; Encouragement through the Word, Kolton; Kooper; Kenzie; Kayden; Kambry; Kaeleb; Kinley; Kennah; Kasidi, Kuyler; Kolton; Kenzie; Kooper; Kayden; Kambry, Perspective; Encouragement through the Word. 1079 14 0 obj Incredibly, the Rich Man, despite the fact that he is in hell, does not ask to get out. This is a big question and one that troubles so many people. But this view misses the very nature of evil, Keller says. Question: Has this chapter opened your eyes to any false doctrine you’ve knowingly or unknowingly believed about God’s wrath? Chapter 5. << /ProcSet [ /PDF /Text ] /ColorSpace << /Cs2 9 0 R /Cs1 8 0 R >> /Font << While the most joyful, peaceful and hope-filled people I know are those who are on the opposite trajectory – moving, daily, closer to God and ultimately, to heaven. 8 0 obj God is merciful, not me. After reading this chapter, I have a much better understanding of what hell is, and why people end up there. 19 0 obj “My dear Victor,” cried he, “what, for God’s sake, is the matter? 1818. Chapter 6: Science Has Disproved Christianity Chapter 7: You Can’t Take the Bible Literally Intermission Chapter 8: The Clues of God Chapter 9: The Knowledge of God Chapter 10: The Problem of Sin Chapter 11: Religion and the Gospel Chapter 12: The (True) Story of the Cross Chapter 13: The Reality of the Resurrection Chapter 14: The … Chapter 3 – Christianity is a Straitjacket; Chapter 4 – The Church is Responsible for So Much Injustice; Chapter 5 – How Can a Loving God Send People to Hell? The Reason For God Chapter 5 “How Can A Loving God Send People To Hell” | Okkar Lif says: June 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM […] in my heart and on this blog weekly with other people. If you love someone and see them harmed, would you not be judging the instigator or would it be better to simply love the victim and the perpetrator? The porter opened the gates of the court, which had that night been my asylum, and I issued into the streets, pacing them with quick steps, as if I sought to avoid the wretch whom I feared every turning of the street would present to my view. O*��?�����f�����`ϳ�g���C/����O�ϩ�+F�F�G�Gό���z����ˌ��ㅿ)����ѫ�~w��gb���k��?Jި�9���m�d���wi獵�ޫ�?�����c�Ǒ��O�O���?w| ��x&mf������ Jesus, thank you for taking the wrath for my sin, and giving me the one and only way to escape eternal separation from God. It was clear to me when I was younger. But I feel like he didn’t really address the most troubling parts of the Biblical teaching of Hell. Interestingly, Keller titles the chapter as a statement. Wright Family USA - Are these kids all yours? How fortunate that you should be here at the very moment of my alighting!”, Nothing could equal my delight on seeing Clerval; his presence brought back to my thoughts my father, Elizabeth, and all those scenes of home so dear to my recollection. The God of the Bible is One of love and of justice. co-sleeping, why we do it. We can't understand God's incredible mercy and grace until we comprehend our own depravity and the reality that we deserve the opposite of his extended hand of friendship. The Reason for God. I had never really spent any time reading it apart from a few scriptures in church.