I needed Molly in my life right now. . Copyright © 2020 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. The Upside of Unrequited Becky Albertalli Genres: realistic fiction, LGBTQ+ fiction Publication: April 11, 2017 from Balzer + Bray Overall rating: 4.5/5 From the publisher: Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love—she’s lived through it twenty-six times. She did, but by validating it with a boy. From the very beginning, I developed a love-hate relationship with The Upside of Unrequited. Have an awesome weekend and as always, I’ll talk to you on my next blog. -- Stephanie Perkins, New York Times bestselling author of Anna and the French Kiss. ( Log Out /  A heartwarming and hilarious story about growing up and learning to be comfortable in your own skin. I guess she is really that type of girl that falls in love a lot. Becky now lives with her family in Atlanta, where she … So she’s careful. amzn_assoc_asins = "0062348701,006234868X,0062498533,159514188X"; Copyright © 2020 Paperback Paris. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. I fell in love with every single one of them, and I wish this book could’ve been 1000 pages long just so I could spend more time with these characters. Her anxiety and fear are only made worse when her grandmother comes to visit and makes comments about her weight (a compulsion we later learn is from her own insecurities as a young woman). Did you read this book? Goodreads (5 Stars). She never tried talking to any of those 26 guys, despite her twin sister, Cassie’s constant suggestion for her to “woman up”, only because she hates to be rejected. Until two boys enters her orbit; Hipster Will and Middle Earth Reid. . . On the one hand, talking about relationships, insecurities and anxieties felt incredibly relatable. When love finds her more confident twin sister, Cassie, a fissure develops that Molly reads as the inevitable first step toward twin division, "the part where we turn from we to she and me." Albertalli's follow-up to Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda features a diverse family (Molly's mothers are different races and religions) living in Beltway Washington the year gay marriage is legalized. The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli. We see Molly comparing herself to others constantly (something that is all too relatable in today’s society). Throughout the novel, we watch Molly grow and transform as a character as a result of her interactions with a number of other characters. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. There's a problem loading this menu at the moment. Bookseller'Funny, moving and emotionally wise' Kirkus Reviews (starred)'It made me laugh, cry and all the fifty shades of emotions I can think of right now. No matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. And I was actually looki8ng forward to reading Leah Off The Beat, thinking and hoping that she’ll be different from Molly. He's basically my perfect guy! Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love-she's lived through it twenty-six times. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. The Upside of Unrequited book. Let me know. I'm Angela, the human behind this blog. . The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli Genre: Contemporary # of Pages: 340 Overall Rating: 5 out of 5 stars Do I recommend this book? That's what this felt like for me. Contemporary, Romance, LGBT+ Source: Purchased paperback Rating: Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love-she's lived through it twenty-six times. Absolutely, I think everyone should read this book. Becky Albertalli is the author of the acclaimed novels Simon Vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda and The Upside of Unrequited. There’s only one problem: Molly’s coworker, Reid. This book is exactly what I needed in this time in my life, so I hope this book can mean as much to others as it did to me. No matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. All in all, The Upside of Unrequited is an uplifting and, at times, incredibly frustrating read that will take you back to your teenage years. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), WWW Wednesday, 23 May 2018 – The cat with a book, Blogger Recognition Award – The Little Booknerds in the Corner, Author’s Echo – Becky Albertalli – The Cat with a Book, May Wrap-up and June TBR – The Cat with a Book, Follow The Cat with a Book on WordPress.com. She crushes hard and crushes often, but always in secret. Immediately, you enter Molly’s world and feel everything that she feels. . Molly Peskin-Suso is the opposite of sexually precocious: now 17, she's had "twenty-six crushes and exactly zero kisses." The characters weren’t the only thing that made this story, though. Aside from the fear of rejection, Molly also suffers from low self-esteem because she claims to be fat, and Fats girls should always be careful. . One of the absolutely incredible things that Albertalli does is incorporate a unique and diverse cast of characters. The book is about Molly Peskin-Suso and her experience with unrequited love. Fat girls always have to be careful. right? And I think it goes without saying that awesome one-liners are decidedly less awesome when you repeat them by accident. Most importantly, a number of situations force her to speak up, something that she has always been afraid to do. I have serious body confidence issues, I'm anxious, self-doubting and really introverted.