That being said, I’ve found that many Brits appreciate American candor and find it charming — like most things, it depends on the person. These aren't even that cool. 12. While people in Europe do pay towards their medical expenses, and things vary depending on where exactly you live, Europeans generally do not face the massive medical debt many Americans shoulder, frequently thanks to nationalized healthcare. Account active You can also pick up dinner there. But, on a practical level, transitioning from life in America to life in Europe may surprise you, as well: If you never thought you'd miss an air conditioner, for example, be sure to read on and see what other differences Redditors notice between what you're likely to find in an American and European home. But then the panic attack sets in: All those things you take for granted like, um, ICE, that just are not that common overseas. When I emigrated to the UK in October 2016, I was excited to finally make my long-distance relationship something of the past and see what England had to offer. Efficient and friendly customer service. You never know. You can get things in Walgreens you’d never get in ... whereas in America, you have the freedom to dose yourself with all kinds of exotic drugs that could have all manner of ludicrous possible side effects. Part of HuffPost Travel. While Donald Trump’s presidency may be disrupting political norms in America, things are no less complicated in Britain, which is in the middle of trying to. I ended up going with Lloyds, which allowed me to open an account with a copy of my passport and residency permit. Of course, I appreciate that there are plenty of people like me out there who aren’t interested in drinking, but in my experience, they’ve been hard to find (and I’ve tried!). Solo cups. Sure, you can still celebrate Thanksgiving Day in other countries, but you will most certainly not have the same Black Friday experience. Some of the stuff they do is just plain delightful. Stick shifts are the suck. Not as ubiquitous as over there. 6. Personally, I'd take a sweaty night of terrible sleep over waking up covered with bug bites, but there are pros and cons to either choice. Straws. Having lived in the UK for two six-month stints previously, I thought I had a fairly good idea of what to expect when I obtained a spousal visa and moved there permanently. While living in the UK makes sense for me and my partner at the moment, and I’m very grateful to have been able to move here, I miss New York City. Heinz (aka sugary) ketchup. , a loss that adds up depending on how much you’re converting. I work with clients in the US that I perform for remotely, so I feel this loss regularly. Going back home is a wonderful experience each time, but so is learning to make a new home and experience a different culture. Efficient and friendly customer service. Our particular brand of nerdiness. In Europe, though, it seems that window screens are often less necessary because they don't have the same bug problems we have in places like Florida or Texas. If you're an American living abroad, there are a surprising amount of things you won't find in European homes that you're used to back in the States. It took me three tries to pass the driving test, but I felt accomplished when I finally did. Millennials in particular are drawn to Europe's cities, Americans who go abroad to avoid paying their student loan debt, choose to live abroad long-term to be with a partner, America's bread gets a pretty bad reputation, what Americans have in their house Europeans don't. WTF is a kilometer? By Arianne Jones. reported that this could change in coming years. 14. All rights reserved. And there you have it! I also miss America as a whole, despite the upsetting and infuriating political situation happening there now. Not a thing abroad. The 24-hour bodegas, walking through the Union Square greenmarket several times a week, decent bagels and pizza … the list goes on. If you bring money over to the UK from the US, the conversion rate is maddening. Alcohol isn’t just reserved for a night out at the pub — it’s pretty much a daily part of many Brits’ lives. Peanut butter & jelly. Straws. Girl Scout cookies! Of course, you can’t apply generalizations to all inhabitants of any country. Although it's difficult to get hard numbers on the amount of Americans living abroad, it's easy to agree that Millennials in particular are drawn to Europe's cities; be it because of the reduced (or non-existent) cost of higher education, the art and cultural scene, or a desired to connect with their heritage, there are tons of reasons Americans choose to live abroad. Whether or not you're planning to live abroad, it's always interesting to think about how your life would be different in ways you might take for granted: Sure, going abroad is likely to have major obstacles (like language fluency, for example) but small ones too, like the differences you find inside your home versus the one you grew up with in the States. Mid-calf socks! Efficient and friendly customer service. It actually surprised me to find out that people used anything else on their breakfasts (though melted Nutella on French toast might be the best breakfast I've ever heard of). 8. Peanut butter & jelly. 18. It’s time to take a breather from telling you about all the American things we Brits think are weird, daft or amusing. Fried stuff. It just does not sound normal. Complete strangers -- check out ladies, pharmacists, gas station attendants -- asking you how you are. They actually want to help you. While every bank has its own policies when it comes to opening new accounts, it took at least a month after arriving in the UK for me to actually get one. Depending on where you live in the United States, the thought of a window without a screen is actually terrifying: If you're in a hot climate where there are tons of bugs and you're choosing between leaving your window open and letting bugs in... Well, I wish you good luck. Rather than processing events in depth, many Brits would rather just brush things under the carpet and keep their opinions largely to themselves. Proving your identity is important, of course, but a major part of that here is having your name on a utility bill, council tax bill, or rental lease — all of which are hard to do if you don’t have a bank account. A roundup of uplifting stories about everyday heroes. It’s a decision that fewer than half of UK citizens are behind, according to a recent. strong>Clarification: The language regarding Thanksgiving has been changed to clarify that Thanksgiving of course can be celebrated outside America, but Black Friday as Americans know it is a unique feature to this country. , but at the moment, $1 US gets you roughly £0.77, according to. 10. All rights reserved. From foul language to nudity, it’s all OK. 13. Here are some things you'll-- shockingly -- be longing for soon enough. Here are six things I don't miss about my life in the US. 1. While Donald Trump’s presidency may be disrupting political norms in America, things are no less complicated in Britain, which is in the middle of trying to negotiate a Brexit deal for the nation to leave the European Union. But regardless of your reasons for going abroad, there are (likely) going to be some things you miss about your home country. Seriously, make a phone call in the U.K. Personally, I don't have a car because I live in a city with a decent public transit system, and I can walk anywhere the trains don't take me.