67,769, This story has been shared 53,449 times. Watch Alex Trebek Dropping the F-Bomb In TV Promo Bloopers, For First Time In 150 Years, There Will Be No Macy's Santa In NYC, Study Shows Kids Watching Too Much TV Is Bad For Their Parent's Health. Victor Willis of the Village People says Trump is welcome to continue using “YMCA” at his re-election rallies — he just wants to see the commander in chief do the iconic dance. “The choice is so stark for a lot of voters, and it is for musicians too.”. As usual, the Trump campaign chose music to play to pump up the Republican-based crowd. Fogerty said he was baffled by Trump’s use of “Fortunate Son,” his 1969 hit with Creedence Clearwater Revival, whose condemnation of privileged children of rich men who did not serve in Vietnam sounds like a tailor-made slam of Trump. 9am on a Sunday morning and “Born in the USA” and Lee Greenwood’s “Proud to be an American” blaring outside the hospital where the president is being treated for covid. In fact, a mistake of this severity is nearly comical. He was more fiery after he kept hearing it played. That the president’s rallies are potential spreaders of the coronavirus may be adding intensity to artists’ desire not to have their music contribute. We've received your submission. Yet the campaign cannot avoid condemnation even when playing dead artists. Go to trumpvictory.com to volunteer! BMI said the Rolling Stones had opted out of inclusion in those licenses, and it informed the Trump campaign that if it did not stop playing “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” a Trump favorite in regular rotation at his rallies, the campaign would be in breach of its agreement. are just a few of those who have objected. It’s disrespectful, dishonest, and it’s not lost on the people it impacts. Do Not Sell My Personal Information, Your California Privacy Rights Get the best of Fatherly in your inbox, who very recently tested positive for COVID-19, New Census Data Shows U.S. Set Record Marriage Rate Low Last Year, Watch This Metal AF Baby Fall Asleep To Slipknot, Jill Biden Will Be First White House Spouse To Keep Her Job In 231 Years. LOS ANGELES (AP) — From the beloved opening lines of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” to the rousing, children’s-choir conclusion of the Rolling Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” President Donald Trump’s campaign rallies have been filled with classic songs whose authors and their heirs loudly reject him and his politics. As usual, the Trump campaign chose music to play to pump up the Republican-based crowd. Trump also routinely plays “Macho Man” from the Village People at rallies. Give us a little more information and we'll give you a lot more relevant content, Oops! And there are other legal channels, such as states’ right-of-publicity laws, which treat an artists’ identity as their property, or the federal Lanham Act, which protects an artist’s personal trademark and contains a provision barring false endorsement. “Courts have recognized that that could be an implied endorsement.”. According to Consequence of Sound, while Trump was at Walter Reed Medical Center getting treatment for the coronavirus, a group of his supporters stood outside the hospital and played “Born in the USA” by Bruce Springsteen—a song Trump has played previously at his rallies. pic.twitter.com/Elmzx2o6FB, — Kelly O'Donnell (@KellyO) October 4, 2020, ““Born in the USA” is not an ode to blind patriotism,” the publication explained. “I did not write it for that.”. Petty’s widow and daughters, who had been fighting in court over his estate, united in their demand in June that Trump stop using his song, “I Won’t Back Down.”. MAGA Nation will NEVER recover from this crushing blow. Your Ad Choices “In the Air Tonight” by Phil Collins. Campaigns can buy broad licensing packages from music rights organizations, including BMI and ASCAP, that give them legal access to millions of songs. It's thievery when you exploit a song for propaganda. ↓ “A lot of the time it just takes the cease-and-desist to tell them not to use it, that’s already enough for the artist to get their message out that they’re not associated with the campaign and did not approve the use,” said Heidy Vaquerano, a Los Angeles attorney who specializes in entertainment law and intellectual property. Cohen’s estate attorneys vehemently objected to the prominent use of “Hallelujah” during the final-night fireworks at the Republican National Convention in August, saying in a statement it was an attempt to “politicize and exploit” a song they had specifically told the RNC not to use. Thanks for contacting us. “I am not, and I’m not going to have my lawyers sue the president. https://t.co/92pqRhl0yc, — Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) July 10, 2020. A clip of CNN anchor Anderson Cooper went viral on Twitter because he appeared to be having a WTF moment as he was speaking to a reporter live at the Trump rally event where Village People’s “Macho Man” blared to the crowd. President Donald Trump, who very recently tested positive for COVID-19 and was hospitalized with the illness, held a rally on Monday, Oct. 12, 2020, in Sanford, Florida. “The lyrics were written by me as an expression of urban youths having fun at the YMCA. It’s much broader than that,” Willis said in 2014. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Terms of Use LOS ANGELES (AP) — From the beloved opening lines of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” to the rousing, children’s-choir conclusion of the Rolling Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” President Donald Trump’s campaign rallies have been filled with classic songs whose authors and their heirs loudly reject him and his politics. What do you want the president to prioritize in the next four years? That feeling that they’ve been drafted onto Team Trump clearly fuels many artists’ anger. At The Disco and the estates of Leonard Cohen, Tom Petty and Prince are just a few of those who have objected. — Nathaniel Gardner (@tkdcoach) October 13, 2020. The fiercely opinionated rock Hall-of-Famer is the rare musician who has gone beyond demands and filed a lawsuit over the repeated use of his songs. The playlist of the President of the United States' 2020 campaign rallies. 24,533, © 2020 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved “Their music is their identity,” Kaufman said. That's it…the Election is over. Please contact. But he should at least do the ‘YMCA’ dance while he’s at it.”, Recently, Trump stopped playing The Rolling Stones’ song “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” as he walks off stage at rallies — replacing it with “YMCA.”. Republicans have no original ideas of their own, no creative artists, no music, so they must steal it from the artists (and in this case from the LGBTQ+ community that those artists largely served). But this year, the issue has reached an unprecedented saturation point, indicative of a wide cultural divide between the president and his supporters, and overwhelmingly left-leaning musicians, who virtually never make the same demands of Democratic candidates. The words were crafted by me to be taken any number of ways but not specific to gays. The Trump campaign can hardly play a song without the artist denouncing its use and sending a cease-and-desist letter. “If I were a Trump hater maybe I’d sue him simply out of spite,” Willis said. Trump also routinely plays “Macho Man” from the Village People at rallies. Sign up for the Fatherly newsletter to get original articles and expert advice about parenting, fitness, gear, and more in your inbox every day. Oops! “He is using my words and my voice to portray a message that I do not endorse,” Fogerty said in an Oct. 16 tweet announcing a cease-and-desist order. During a Make America Great Again concert in 2017, Greenwood (who identifies a … Something exciting is in the air. It may not seem like that big of a deal that Trump and the campaign plays songs without realizing their full context. 29 Oct 2020 445. The irony of the president walking to his stage to speak to his fan base while playing the super fun, gay-pride anthem was lost on a lot of people. “The use of their music, it could dilute the worth of their trademark,” Vaquerano said. Collins’ attorneys promptly demanded the campaign stop using the song. 55 songs… This American anthem is usually the song playing when Trump takes the stage at rallies. The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Other artists have been more befuddled than angry about the playing of songs whose themes are the exact opposite of the messages Trump is sending. But even if their songs can be played contractually, artists can still object. Cohen attorneys made the rare move of suggesting an alternative, whose title could be taken as a dig at Trump. 53,449, This story has been shared 24,533 times. It feels silly, but in a way, it’s not really.