Basically DUP but utilizing 1 set per movement. So for instance, using a 4RM, let’s say you would normally get 8-12 total reps with a volume of 3-5 hard sets. Normally I’ll end up with up to 25 – 28 sets per week of each. For example for intermediates you said they should do 9-18 sets per week. add a Myo-rep set on 1-2 isolation exercises for 1-2 muscle groups for a period of 4-6 weeks, then change focus (or add in 1-2 isolation exercises for another 1-2 muscle groups). Thanks again for all the information you provide via your website, podcast and social media. This makes it sound like you get twice the gains by doubling the volume, but in practice, it doesn’t play out quite like this. It's too much when you cannot recover from it in a sufficiently short period of time. Someetimes every other day, or perhaps daily full body. It seems like there are a lot of concepts we agree and some areas we differ. Look at you recommending people SD and do 1-2 sets with high frequency after, slowly ramping it up , I still remember your posts over at the hst forums, blade. 2-3 workouts/week is fine. Love the article. 29 reps at a 30RM would be very close to a 10RPE, and in fact rep 25 would most likely be rated a 9RPE for most people and a “hard” set subjectively, even though it’s 5RIR. Also covered in the SSD system, and this will depend on your training status, but gaining more than 0.2-0.5% of bodyweight per week is usually going to lead to more fat than muscle gain. My thoughts about what, specifically? My bodyweight was only increasing by 1 pound a week and taking various measurements from chest, arms, back, thighs and calves seemed to remain static with no increase. If you break it down to the KISS method, as long as you are getting stronger in a caloric surplus you are putting on size, and if you are maintaining strength during a prep you are maintaining mass. Borge, what’s your thoughts about two a day training? When you got to a 180KG bench-press you used this principle of training aswell? Interesting article Borge! My routine consists of: 2x back exercises 2x chest exercises 2x shoulder exercises 2x ab exercises 1x tricep exercise 1x bicep exercise My full workout (below) is completed every roughly 4 days depending on how I feel. In the case of weightlifting, your body will build muscle and bone tissue, and you’ll gradually become stronger. I found lots of info that you wrote on stalls. If you do too much volume, you run the risk of hindering (or completely destroying) your body’s ability to repair and recover at an ideal rate. Body weight options, dumbbell options, and resistance band options. Dmitrij Klokov, a world champion weightlifter who also got several top placings in bodybuilding competitions. This is also why many are having pointless arguments about volume, and throwing around e.g. The thing is, it’s a little more complicated than that. Recently due to fatigue and work/family commitments I have had to cut back to a full body routine with DUP consisting of TBDL (2 sets DUP H/M/L i.e. Carbs are not necessary pre-workout to perform well, no. Now…the nuance is can I do this EVERY DAY? What do you define as a muscle group? When all motivation to train is gone, and when joints and tendons are starting to hurt – but you still keep going because this study or that expert says that it is “optimal”, I think we are – again – stuck in the mindset of general vs. individual. When you speak about myoreps, you consider that every myoreps set is like 3ish straight sets. Even Schoenfeld’s meta-analysis (there are some obvious confounders with reviews, but I’m not going into that here) showed that less than 5 weekly sets provided 5.4% gains, 5-9 weekly sets, 6.6% gains, whereas 10+ sets provided 9.8%. One question… Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305455324_Dose-response_relationship_between_weekly_resistance_training_volume_and_increases_in_muscle_mass_A_systematic_review_and_meta-analysis [accessed Jun 11 2018]. 2. So I want to swing this idea by you. 1 working set, unless the warm-ups are in the vicinity of 3-5RIR, counts as 1 set. And also, 18 sets would be the upper end of the range and only for someone with everything in order, recovery-wise. I generally recommend 1 RIR, and sometimes 2-3 for some lifters. SO HOW DO I USE VOLUME? The short term gains might come quick with high volume, but the long term sides usually offset that. I have edited a couple of points for clarity. Will four days in a row still be able to give good muscle building results with such a plan, even though upper, lower, rest, upper, lower, rest, rest probably is “more optimal”? Thanks, Lawrence! I wouldn’t have a problem with someone using Myo-reps as a stand-alone method to build muscle, however. Normally, you generate fatigue as you get deeper into a workout, so the exercises done at the end get lower quality work than exercises done at the beginning. You want to increase your volume, but don't do it in fits and starts. What Is The Best Way To Lose Weight Fast And Keep It Off? ), some might be able to keep going 30 minutes if they are neurologically wired for it, have a good work capacity and so on…then this might lead to excessive DOMS and muscle breakdown and take several days to recover form. Higher reps will hit the central nervous system more, recovery-wise, but going to failure and muscle damage also does – so heavy, low rep training to failure and eccentrics will also require more recovery. Thanks, I think I’d die with MyoDeads lol, but I’ll try on the others. Have you ever tried to train with the minimum effective volume (1 set x bodypart) but with highest frequency (every day).. ? Active 5 years, 3 months ago. Caution must be used when increasing weight amounts, however, as attempting to lift weights that are too heavy can result in muscle injuries and other health problems. How To Build Muscle And Lose Fat At The Same Time. What were your experiences? […] good read on the subject is an article written by Borge Fagerli where he recommends more moderate volumes for several […]. E.g. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. http://www.facebook.com/coach.borgefagerli/posts/1074839206000085. I would also consider Myo-reps for this purpose. If you are training too aggressively (often in the from of using too much volume or too high of intensities per session, rather than too much frequency), you will … Now, if one were to do this in a full body format, would it be acceptable when cutting slowly? Hope that was an enlightening brain dump . That should also be able to work on a daily rotation, but there might be advantages to focusing on a given type of stimulus for a period of time to allow adaptation and avoid redundancy/overlap or interference effects. Granted, I’ve laid out the ideal number of reps you should do per set for your goal, but the total volume being done can still vary by quite a bit. I walk a client through the setup and evolution of a training program over time, to teach them how to train themselves after the coaching is over. OHP It starts here: The Ultimate Weight Training Workout Routine). So for instance, 1 reps at a 2RM is 1RIR but a 9RPE. Yes, I don’t see why they couldn’t. As you can see, that’s still a pretty significant difference even with the same ideal rep range (5-12) being used. Brisk pace, resting only long enough to maximize performance. That’s actually pretty close to what I’m doing these days Keep in mind that there will be some overlap in muscle groups, and they also have different recovery curves and work capacity, so I’m generally not a fan of doing just a preset volume for everything, though. I believe it is important to have fun, and your body is capable of a lot more if you just experiment! Do you like cluster sets in this regards? This is especially important if you are trying to lift weights in excess of half of your body … But at that point I know I may need to stay away from failure. 4 sets per week is borderline low, yes – but if you have a high stress environment it could very well be the best way to set up a program for you. tai chi and yoga), just do something completely different to reset your mind and body. https://www.t-nation.com/training/magic-of-cluster-sets, https://www.naseinc.com/blog/traditional-versus-cluster-set-training-for-strength-and-power/, How to Build an Awesome Workout Routine (6 Key Principles) - Vegan Liftz, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305455324_Dose-response_relationship_between_weekly_resistance_training_volume_and_increases_in_muscle_mass_A_systematic_review_and_meta-analysis, http://www.facebook.com/coach.borgefagerli/posts/1074839206000085, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319142595_Optimizing_strength_training_for_hypertrophy-A_periodization_of_classic_resistance_training_and_blood-flow_restriction_training, http://www.sustainableselfdevelopment.com, https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/publishahead/Is_Performing_Repetitions_to_Failure_Less.94611.aspx, The short and sweet Borge Fagerli guide to getting bigger and stronger, The most ignored causes when your results are lacking – Part 1: Stress.